Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-07-14 8:28 AM
in reply to: #885662

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Subject: RE: Are aero helmets worth it?
I could be wrong here, but I got the feeling that the discussion was morphing into a discussion of things aero, and how different changes achieve different results. You are correct about the airplane thing, but in the grand scheme of bicycle aerodynics, a true airfoil shape, which is what companies like Cervelo are after (again, please correct me if I'm wrong), doesn't just reduce drag. In certain circumstances, they create lift, which can allow a bike to go faster. I wish we had a rocket scientist here to help explain these things and knock down assumptions that some of might be making. I am assuming that we all want maximum efficiency here, so why not ask the question does speed have something to do with that? If I need to go 21mph in order to achieve any noticeable improvement in effort, is spending $100 on a helmet worth it? That's a fair question to ask, and a good discussion to have. If I'm only going 15mph, and I'm achieving 50% of possible efficiency from my fancy shmancy helmet, the gains from my aero helmet might not be worth it. I might not NOTICE the difference.

DerekL - 2007-07-13 9:43 PM

I still don't know what "efficient" is in this conversation. We're not talking about an airplane wing here. Aero helmets (and other equipment) produce less drag at very reasonable speeds. Certainly less than the 21mph or whatever was claimed earlier.

D.Z. - 2007-07-13 9:30 PM I don't know what the speed is, but I know that air needs to travel over surfaces at certain speeds before those aero surfaces reach their intended efficiency. Obviously losing weight creates gains at all speeds and circumstances with the possible exception of going downhill when the dynamics described in Jethro Tull's "Fat Man" come into play. I am not a doctor in aerodynamics, or the laws of physics for that matter, but I know when a propellor spins too fast it cavitates and loses its efficiency. I suspect, but could not prove, that same effect applies to aerodynamics

2007-07-14 11:00 AM
in reply to: #885774

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Aero benefits of all kinds work for slower riders too.  The percentage savings are greater if you are traveling faster.  But the time savings are actually greater for the slower rider because they are on the course longer.

There's plenty of info out there on this for those interested.  In fact, Cervelo's website has a nice little presentation on it if I'm not mistaken. 

And, as an aside, weight plays a much smaller role and only noticeable when climbing and/or accelerating. 

2007-07-14 1:09 PM
in reply to: #885687

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
DerekL - 2007-07-13 10:19 PM

If you're going to make a claim on a public discussion board, you can expect that to be challenged at times.  Don't get your panties in a wad.

I don't have a PhD in fluid dynamics or anything, but I'm pretty sure that bunched panties create more drag than unbunched panties, and no panties would be even faster than unbunched panties, assuming proper grooming.  That may be a discussion for ST though.

Just sayin...

P.S.  I went for aero wheels in no small part for the cool factor.  Currently researching helmets.  Thanks for the substantive responses above.

2007-07-14 3:13 PM
in reply to: #885770

User image

Champion

So I can't dispute things people say because they're new?  His reaction to my posting contrary information is not my problem.

D.Z. - 2007-07-14 8:20 AM Nice Derek, way to welcome a new member to the discussion board...
DerekL - 2007-07-13 10:19 PM

If you're going to make a claim on a public discussion board, you can expect that to be challenged at times. Don't get your panties in a wad.

KCoates - 2007-07-13 9:55 PM I didn't say you had to, I restated that to get a significant benefit you have to go at a reasonable speed. I mean jeez, you can be right, I'm not looking to get you in an uprage, I'm wrong man.

2007-07-14 3:22 PM
in reply to: #885774

User image

Champion

Lift has nothing to do with it, and the goal of shaping things is not to have them in an airfoil shape.  Plane wings are not the same shape on the top and bottom, and that's what creates lift.  Bike tubes are symmetrical and designed solely to reduce drag, as are aero helmets.  Not sure where the "lift" you theorize is supposed to happen either.  It would be on one side of the tube (or helmet), so you'd just be pulled in that direction rather than making riding easier.

And I still have no idea what "efficiency" means in this discussion.  You reduce drag when you smooth out the airflow over bike/helmet parts.  The situation that warrants that is almost anything moving forward.  It's doesn't work at "50%" for x mph and "80%" for y mph.  It works at (essentially) all speeds.  You will notice the difference at any speed if you pay attention to your time.  This has been shown repeatedly.

D.Z. - 2007-07-14 8:28 AM I could be wrong here, but I got the feeling that the discussion was morphing into a discussion of things aero, and how different changes achieve different results. You are correct about the airplane thing, but in the grand scheme of bicycle aerodynics, a true airfoil shape, which is what companies like Cervelo are after (again, please correct me if I'm wrong), doesn't just reduce drag. In certain circumstances, they create lift, which can allow a bike to go faster. I wish we had a rocket scientist here to help explain these things and knock down assumptions that some of might be making. I am assuming that we all want maximum efficiency here, so why not ask the question does speed have something to do with that? If I need to go 21mph in order to achieve any noticeable improvement in effort, is spending $100 on a helmet worth it? That's a fair question to ask, and a good discussion to have. If I'm only going 15mph, and I'm achieving 50% of possible efficiency from my fancy shmancy helmet, the gains from my aero helmet might not be worth it. I might not NOTICE the difference.

2007-07-14 3:37 PM
in reply to: #871781

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

Man I leave you guys alone for a few days and this just spirals out of control!

First off, I have a BS in Aerospace and coaching certifications from USAT and USAC so I feel *somewhat* qualified to comment on both sides of the argument.

You always have 4 opposing forces acting on an object: Lift, Thrust, Weight, and Drag. The theory behind most of the current bike designs and accesories is to reduce the Weight and Drag, therefore increasing Speed at lower Thrust (Power) making the rider more efficient.

The percentage of efficiency is a function of these 4 forces. You can use the formula for coefficient of drag (along with some other long mathmatical equations) to figure out your exact gains. Basically you are going to see a higher percentage of efficiency at higher speeds, however a rider at a lower speed may see a larger time gain due to the fact (as mentioned before) they are out on the course for a longer period of time.

We teach in our clinics that you should stay aero anytime you are above 13 mph (climbing a hill for example) since you are still getting benefit from being out of the wind.

Bottom line is that an aero helmet or wheels aren't going to make you go faster by themselves, but they do increase your overall efficiency on the bike which if nothing else will leave you a bit more fresh for the run.

2007-07-14 9:25 PM
in reply to: #885956

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Well, if we are to take our aerodynamics experts word for it, we are both right and wrong.

Good discussion, and noone got their panties in a knot. And I suspect we all learned something from it.

DerekL - 2007-07-14 3:22 PM

Lift has nothing to do with it, and the goal of shaping things is not to have them in an airfoil shape. Plane wings are not the same shape on the top and bottom, and that's what creates lift. Bike tubes are symmetrical and designed solely to reduce drag, as are aero helmets. Not sure where the "lift" you theorize is supposed to happen either. It would be on one side of the tube (or helmet), so you'd just be pulled in that direction rather than making riding easier.

And I still have no idea what "efficiency" means in this discussion. You reduce drag when you smooth out the airflow over bike/helmet parts. The situation that warrants that is almost anything moving forward. It's doesn't work at "50%" for x mph and "80%" for y mph. It works at (essentially) all speeds. You will notice the difference at any speed if you pay attention to your time. This has been shown repeatedly.

D.Z. - 2007-07-14 8:28 AM I could be wrong here, but I got the feeling that the discussion was morphing into a discussion of things aero, and how different changes achieve different results. You are correct about the airplane thing, but in the grand scheme of bicycle aerodynics, a true airfoil shape, which is what companies like Cervelo are after (again, please correct me if I'm wrong), doesn't just reduce drag. In certain circumstances, they create lift, which can allow a bike to go faster. I wish we had a rocket scientist here to help explain these things and knock down assumptions that some of might be making. I am assuming that we all want maximum efficiency here, so why not ask the question does speed have something to do with that? If I need to go 21mph in order to achieve any noticeable improvement in effort, is spending $100 on a helmet worth it? That's a fair question to ask, and a good discussion to have. If I'm only going 15mph, and I'm achieving 50% of possible efficiency from my fancy shmancy helmet, the gains from my aero helmet might not be worth it. I

might not NOTICE the difference.

2007-07-15 6:26 AM
in reply to: #871781

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Geez! Do a forum search for "panties" and this is what I get.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Are aero helmets worth it? Rss Feed  

of 2