General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Picking an IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-08 11:14 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: Picking an IM

I'm considering doing a 2008 IM...feeling pretty sure I want to. I'm debating the pros and cons of the choices I have. I live in MA, so IMLP sign ups are soon, others I'd consider are WI, AZ if moved to fall, and FL, but I don't like ocean swims. It isn't like one is a clear cut winner when I weigh all the pros and cons.

How did you guys choose? Any thoughts to help me?

Training: WI is best as heavy training time doesn't conflict with busy kid activities ie soccer season w/ 3 kids doing 2 practices/1 game a week...longest training would be in the summer other two would conflict to some degree with kid activities
Weather: AZ if they do on in the fall of '08 which is just rumors now, but training in Sept/Oct in MA then racing in warmer weather may be tough. WI weather is so unpredictable. I like cool not humid.
$: Cost is less at IMLP, we can drive, but accommodations are more expensive and it may be harder to find a place with a kitchen not like FL where lots of condos.
Timing: IMLP is best for family college age sons could come, AZ or FL is best for me to get more training in
People: I'd probably know many more people doing IMLP, my parents & rest of family would more likely go to WI as they live in MN
Course Familiarity:
IMLP I could drive up for a weekend and ride the course, run, & swim go to WI or maybe Tempe would cost more and be a bigger effort/pain. I've been to IMFL.
Using my strengths: Trying to figure which bike course I'd enjoy more and would be easier for me given my strengths/weaknesses as cyclist. I've been told WI is the toughest course overall.
Ready: Am I ready...who knows if they ever are? I'm just getting older, injuries come up as I've seen this year and there may be a time in the future I can't do one due to some reason. I think I have worked hard at getting a good base..love to ride long/far which are keys. The bike accident I was in helped me realize life is fleeting stuff can come up and when opportunities are available be brave and take them.

Personal Appeal: Fall AZ

My coach thinks later is better as the weather will allow for long training better. I'm planning to be off this Nov. & Dec. as I'm having surgery and won't be able to train.

Edited by KathyG 2007-07-08 11:14 PM

2007-07-08 11:33 PM
in reply to: #876784

User image

Mesa
Subject: RE: Picking an IM
AZ in the fall isn't happening... I'll let you know if there is "REAL" talk about it because nobody has spoken to any city of Tempe officials (I know them).

So the best you are getting is Silverman in Vegas for a fall IM Distance race!

2007-07-08 11:43 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Well that narrows it down some....
2007-07-09 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
I'm interested to see what others have to say. I'm thinking about doing an IM at some point although mine might be 09 or 2010. I also have two kids playing soccer (9& almost 12) so summer is better for me to train and waiting a couple of years means the kids are older and able to stay home alone for longer periods when I have a long bike or run scheduled (right now, I have to work around my husband's schedule to get long workouts in). I pulled up web sites the other day to look at bike course elevations and that right there eliminated some for me. For my first one, I think I'd prefer a flatter course. Best of luck in deciding which one to do.
2007-07-09 8:12 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

Kathy,

No matter what IM you choose I know you are going to do great!

Let  me give you some perspective on the different races. I have participated in or coached some one in just about every IMNA (or whatever they are called now) event.

IMAZ-Since it is the earliest one in North America, I think this one is out for you due to the harsh MA winters. In order to do well in an April race you would have to be doing your big build during January, February, and the first part of March. Unless you really like riding in cold weather then I think this one is out.

IMCDA-A gorgeous course, kind of hard to get to, weather is iffy, COLD lake swim. Build months would be April and May.

IMLP-An amazing course, hilly but not too brutal. Expensive lodging (although we stayed in a condo for $1500 for 5 days. Slept 7 people). Within driving distance, good race day weather (although it does rain some there), build months of May and June should be fine weather wise in MA.

IMLouisville-I'll let you know after this year! Course is rolling and has the potential to be hot and humid. Lodging is affordable, airport in town you could fly direct or drive. Build months of June and July should be good weather wise.

IMCanada-Far away, and hard to get into. Course is hilly,but beautiful. Build in June and July.

IMMoo-Rolling course,great race day atmosphere. Weather is a toss up. Lodging is affordable, nearest airport is Milwaukee or Chicago. Build months of July and August.

IMFL-Flat, windy course, ocean swim. Affordable lodging. Build in August and September.

Hope that helps a little, good luck in whatever you choose.

2007-07-10 1:10 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
IMLouisville-I'll let you know after this year! Course is rolling and has the potential to be hot and humid. Lodging is affordable, airport in town you could fly direct or drive. Build months of June and July should be good weather wise.

IMFL-Flat, windy course, ocean swim. Affordable lodging. Build in August and September.

Ah... you just sold me a bit more on Kentucky. I HATE WIND! I'll take hills over wind ANY DAY.

Kentucky is looking good for 2008!

Too bad I probably need to register before the RR's are up on BT.

2007-07-11 12:43 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Rocketman,

Thanks for the breakdown on IM's that was real informative. After reading it I know now that I picked the right one for me: IMCdA. Being from Colorado, I love cold swims - makes me faster. Also I HATE hot and humid which is the ONLY reason why I didn't pick IMFLA. and the freakin' wind.  I live at the base of the mountain so big build up training in April and May shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thanks again for your breakdown it is invaluable info for people looking to do their first IM.

2007-07-11 1:03 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Honestly, I think geography trumps all other considerations. If the race is close to where you live, you save time and money on travel and you train in the exact same environmnet to ensure proper acclimitization. It's a no brainer.
2007-07-11 2:43 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I don't really live close to any...sure IMLP is the closest, but terrain where I live is not similar to IMLP. MA weather in April-June when training is most intense can be iffy. Last year every weekend it rained thru June; this year it has been nice most weekends so it is a crap shoot. Hard to get long rides in when it is 50 and raining...sure you can suck it up but it isn't ideal. Cost of accommodations at IMLP are higher than others which easily offsets the cost of air ticket or other out of town expenses.

My plan is IMFL '08. If I did the date figuring right, it should be 2 days before I turn 47. Weather low 70's for high is ideal for me, build months of August-October with long runs when it is cool, I'll enjoy more. Ocean swim is the only negative..wind is that harder than hills?

Thanks for the insights...needed to decide before IMLP sign ups in 10 days or so.

2007-07-11 5:23 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
wind is that harder than hills?

In my opinion, yes. I live in Texas... we have a lot more wind than we do hills... and it sucks.

You see, with a hill... you know when it's going to end. You know exactly how far you have to go until you get to "rest". You know when the pain is going to stop.

With wind... well, you can't see it... and it comes and goes. Or even worse, it never lets up. It's this force pushing against you and you don't know when and if it's going to end.

Sure, you get a tailwind... but you also get downhills!

2007-07-11 8:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kathy,
I've done LP and WI so I'll chime in with my perspective.
1. relative dates for training- I live where the weather is even crappier than you do(Birkierunner would like it for cross country skiing though w/ it being unsafe due to snowbanks, idiot drivers, and the cold to ride for months at a time. Therefore, I spent mucho trainer time this year. I was out of base and into build for LP by the time I could ride consistently outside. Not the case last year living in ME training for WI. I was doing my long rides outside on those 50 and rain weekends you already mentioned. On the other hand, most of my racing(Mooseman, Timberman, and WI) last year were under similar conditions.

2. never assume it's wind OR hills!!! they can and frequently do co-exist in my experience. 2 of the 3 IMs I've done have been 50s, raining, and windy all bloody day. They were LP 2003 and WI 2006. In general, LP hasn't had the heat that plagued the first few years of WI before my showing up and bringing the cold rain w/ me Ideal race conditions would be 60s to low 70s, calm to lt winds, overcast, and dry. LP has seen that or close, WI historically has not. I'm really hoping that there is always a first time though. I frequently train in LP and have ridden the course under calm wind conditions exactly once though.

3. the swim- Mirror Lake is smaller and more protected than Lake Monona so if the winds are blowing the swim is rougher in WI plus you don't get the oversized bathtub draft effect. It's such a minor part of the day that this shouldn't be a deal breaker unless someone is chasing the swim cutoff.

4. sightseeing while 'racing'- LP is prettier IMO but I'm partial to mountains and rivers. WI is nice but farms and hills are standard training terrain for me(when not in Placid). WI's run is more urban(read- better spectator support) and it was really cool running a lap around the field at Camp Randall, the U of W football stadium. Both bikes are pretty rural but WI has better spectator support on the bike too. It was 50s and raining but climbing one particular hill was like the Tour de France w/ the specators pushing in from both sides so you're climbing up through a corridor not much wider than your bike. Very cool!

5. costs/accomadations- LP is killing me w/ the 5 night minimum and the 199 plus tax per night. I'm paying more to be stumbling distance to the oval for my jockstraps but I got a place 5 minutes walk from the center of activity in WI for 139 a night and I got just the three nights I needed. We fly into Chicago and drive up to Madison to save on airfare.(Southwest into Midway) Plan on needing a rental car even if you fly into Madison though as the airport is a ways out and grocery stores are nowhere near downtown where the race is.

So which would I do again? Both- countdowns read 10 days and 59 days 2008- who knows? If any, will be through a slot picked up racing a 70.3 qualifier like CA-Oceanside or FL so I can putz on decision making while my other life stuff sorts itself out.

2007-07-11 10:42 PM

Champion
No excuses!
I am in the same boat trying to decide on next year when I am racing Redman this year and it won't be until Sept 22 after LP, Louisville and WI.

For me WI is the closest but Louisville also I could drive to for a long weekend training. The problem with Louisville is no one has done it yet so hard to find out anything about it.
2007-07-12 7:47 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Thanks Kathy for asking, and thanks all who posted with your anecdotes and experiences in this thread... it has been very hepful as I contemplate my own IM aspirations for next year.  I'm leaning towards a local IM-distance event near me, but FL sounds tempting after what was posted here.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Picking an IM Rss Feed