General Discussion Race Reports! » Webster Bicycle Duathlon Series - Race #3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Webster Bicycle Duathlon Series - Race #3 - Duathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
LaMarque, Texas
United States
Kevin Landry
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 6s
Overall Rank = 14/148
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/14
Pre-race routine:

For once I got to go to a race that wasn't either out of town or a long-ass drive into Houston away, instead it was just a 20 minute drive from Galvatraz! Got up at 530am, dressed and immediately headed out to the race site.
Event warmup:

5 minute jog, and then some stretching. Another quick jog just before race start to get the HR up.
Run
  • 13m 12s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt nice to run somewhat fast(er) for once! Held back a little bit known that I still had 45 minutes of racing ahead of me (especially seeing how common it is for people to significantly slow down for the second run).
What would you do differently?:

Pretty happy with it, given my current running training. Need to up my mileage to 25 miles/wk and include some tempo runs & interval training if I ever want to get any faster.
Transition 1
  • 00m 23s
Comments:

So I got this brilliant (or not-so brilliant) idea to switch out my clipless pedals with clips and pedal in my running shoes to save time. Some people said this was a bad idea as there would be a loss of power transfer. I did the math (assuming it would have taken 20 seconds more to switch each time) and given my time, I would have to have to done the bike segment at least 2.1% faster (21.6mph versus my actual 21.1mph speed) to make switching shoes worthwhile.

Sooooo, given that, not really sure which is better. I will say it was nice whizzing through transition and passing up people who were still switching shoes, but at the very least I think I lost an opporunity to practice transitions for longer events where it almost certainly worthwhile to ride in proper bike shoes.

Oh, and I gave "Jumping on bike" a "Bad" rating because the exit from transition was kinda crowded and I almost fell over while trying to hop on my bike due to people in front of me suddenly changing direction.

Suck it up and just practice transitions more rather than trying to "cheat" by making short-cuts.
Bike
  • 32m 35s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 21.18 mile/hr
Comments:

Decent time for the bike, faster than I had expected. Kept on trading positions with this guy on a full-carbon / disc wheel setup, which made me feel pretty good that I could keep up with him on a road bike with pedal clips.

Ride with bike shoes.
Transition 2
  • 00m 27s
Comments:

Another bad thing about pedal clips is when you get out of them and then try to make any sort of turn, they scrape the ground, which probably slowed up my dismount. Accidentally knocked over the bike next to me while racking my bike, so I had to stop and re-rack it - Sorry, whosever that was!
Run
  • 13m 29s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Actually saved something for the run! Still hurt like hell - thank God it was only two miles as I don't know how much more I could have done (at that pace at least).
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back up the course and cheered on some of my fellow Tri-Island-ers, chatted with some other people, and basically killed time until the awards ceremony (placing in your age group got you a beer glass - whoo hoo!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training (as usual), mental toughness to keep pushing when it hurt (didn't know I was so close to being under 1 hour or I might have been able to push it harder).

Event comments:

This was an awesome race. It was short, intense, and lots of fun with good competition. Lots of volunteer support from the guys at Webster Bicycle, and plenty of things to drink and munch on afterwards (like egg and chorizo breakfast burritos - yum!) It's a shame next year they'll just be one du rather than the usual three-part series!

Last updated: 2007-07-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:13:12 | 02 miles | 06m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/14
Overall: 0/148
Performance: Good
Course: Simple out-and-back, with water and wet towels at the half-way point.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:23
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Bad
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:32:35 | 11.5 miles | 21.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/14
Wind: Some
Course: Two loop course along I-45 (pretty much my usual Sunday training ride), nice tailwind while heading south.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:13:29 | 02 miles | 06m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/14
Course: Same as before, just hotter out.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-22 9:10 PM

User image

Spring, Texas
Subject: Webster Bicycle Duathlon Series - Race #3
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Webster Bicycle Duathlon Series - Race #3 Rss Feed