Vineman, Inc.
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 14m 47s
Overall Rank = 1646/1823
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 104/118
Pre-race routine:

There was no set time that you had to be out of the T-Area, so I slept in until 5:30am. My wave was at 7:02a, and I think I got to the site around 6:20 or so. Had a bowl of oatmeal and soymilk for breakfast.
Event warmup:

Had little time to warm up. The T1 area was full of people who started in a later wave. Had to fight through the crowd to find a spot for my gear and then ran back to get body marked.
Swim
  • 42m 50s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Someone said to me several nights before the race, "Come back with stories." And I thought to myself "If I come back with stories that means something didn't go well...." Here's the story. I'm running into T1 area fighting the crowd of people wandering in and out, attempting to find a spot in the rows of racks marked for my AG. I pull up to the first rack I see, and realize that people are taking up a good bit of room. I say to a girl who has half a beach towel worth of stuff laid out in an empty space, "I'm going to put my bike here, just wanted to let you know incase you need to slide something over." She replies, "Here??? There are OTHER spots you know." And I say "Yes, and there is a spot right HERE." She gives me a look, and running out of time, I say "I see how you are," in a joking manner (sort of). To which she replies "Yes, that's how I am." Fabulous. I now have competition :) Meanwhile, the clock is ticking away and I still have to set up my gear, get into my wetsuit, put the cap on, and pee. I parked the bike on the next rack over and put on the cap, sunblock and body glide, set up my stuff for the bike, and put on my wetsuit more quickly than I thought humanly possible because I just heard the announcer calling for my AG to prepare to get in the water. That left me with minutes to get in. I have not mentioned up to this point that I was being nice to my father by carring his transition bag to the area while he tended to his bike back at the car. I realized at the last minute that my dad would never find his gear if I left it at my bike, so I started hunting for him. Unfortunately there was no designated spot for your bike, so it was first come, first serve, and he had not arrived in the T-area. Finally he comes waltzing up and I throw his bag at him and say "Bye!" Just as I step over the timing mat on the rocky beach the air horn goes off for my wave. So I yell an explitive or two and run like hell into the water. After managing to swim into the middle of the field, I took it easy the rest of the way. Since I had never done this distance or course before, I wasn't sure how much energy I could spare on the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Ummm... get in the water before my wave starts... yeh, that'd be key. And get to Transition earlier, no matter what time my wave start is.
Transition 1
  • 03m 18s
Comments:

I felt good about my transition, but I probably should've taken the time to reapply sunscreen. There were 2 downsides to this race set up T1: (1) The bike rows seemed to be filled with people because the racks were too close together, making it difficult to manuver to the BikeOut; (2) After the swim you had to put your wetsuit, ect into a bag if you ever wanted to see your gear again since the race ended somewhere else, which took a few extra seconds.

Not much.
Bike
  • 3h 26m 14s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.29 mile/hr
Comments:

I held back a little on the bike so that I'd have some legs left for the run. But I felt well prepared for the course. It was extremely challenging, but well worth the ride. The weather was perfect for biking and the scenery was awesome. Got some confused looks from cows and goats, which made it even better.

Nothing. I ate every 30-40 minutes and drank regularly. Happy with the time considering the course and that I'm relatively new to cycling.
Transition 2
  • 04m 43s
Comments:

T2 began with an extremely long run down a carpet over gravel which lead to the T-area. I estimate there was a football field between the dismount line and my bike. Once in T-area, I still had to run past 20 rows of racks to get to my row. Good lord! Thankfully my run gear was where I had left it the day before. Bike racked, helmet off, wiped the salt out of my eyes, shoes and hat on, and left. Keep in mind that I still had not used the bathroom at this point. I finally decided to make a pit stop at the end of the T-area just before the run out. Yey me.

Bring a segway! And Bring sunscreen and take the time to use it. I debated if I should grab it out of my dad's bag 8 rows back, but decided it would take too much time.
Run
  • 2h 57m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good going into the run, intentionally kept a slow pace, and remained okay until mile 5 where I made a deal with myself to only walk the aid stations AND all hills. I quickly broke the deal I had made and started walking a lot on mile 6 with some intermittent jogging. By mile 7 I had reduced myself to a full walk. Somewhere between 6 and 7 I ended up with strong stomach cramps, which made the left arthritic hip seem minor. Cramps got worse when I'd run so I caved and decided the hell with time and to try to enjoy the race. Turns out walking hurt the hip more than running. Damned if I do, damned if I don't. Got a little dizzy around mile 8. Wasn't sure what to do about that since I had never experienced it before. Suffered through miles 9 - 13.1 all the while berating myself for not being mentally strong enough to run. I was completely deplited physically and emotionally at the end. Not even cowbell was going to revive me at this point.

I read in Runner's World on the flight home that 60% of runners report GI distress on runs, and that avoiding dairy the day before and sipping a little gel during the run instead of downing the whole packet might help deter symptoms. Guess I should've read Runner's World on the flight out instead of sleeping.... I went into this race with less than optimal run mileage behind me. The 2 things to work on are more miles and nutrition before and during the run. You'd think I would have learned this lesson by now after doing 3 1/2 marathons, but it took 7 hours of racing for me to pick up on this.
Post race
Warm down:

Found Ken, crawled into car, cried for a minute or two out of pain, frustration, and the whole emotional aspect of the race, slept 30 minutes, and then waited for my dad to round the corner towards the finish.

Event comments:

Vineman 70.3 is a very well organized event, with beautiful scenery. The course is challenging, but doable. There seemed to be a lack of spectators, which surprised me, but the volunteers made up for it.

Last updated: 2007-03-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:50 | 2112 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/118
Overall: 0/1823
Performance:
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Upstream for about .7 miles then downstream the rest of the way.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:18
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:26:14 | 56 miles | 16.29 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The mount line is at the end of the crushed gravel that lines the river shores. It is also at the bottom of a short but steep hill, which means you could chance clipping in and falling over or walk the bike up. I chose the latter. Most of the course is rolling, with some sharp turns and short steep hills thrown in for good measure. I liken it to Cartersville, except instead of cow pasture it's all grapevines. Very pretty. Some of the roads were a little rough, but nothing extremely noteworthy. Chalk Hill began around mile 39 and ended somewhere around 47 (I think). At first I thought, "what's the big deal... this is like the last portion of KeMo," and then it suddenly became clear that it was KeMo in reverse. There was a good .5 miles of steep climbing at 6-7 mph. Fun stuff. Rolling course continued after Chalk Hill, but soon leveled off towards the last 5 miles of the bike.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:57:39 | 13.1 miles | 13m 34s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Rolling hills. Little shade. Weather was warm but not unbearable. There were aid stations every mile which was really nice.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-24 9:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Subject: Vineman Ironman 70.3

2007-07-25 8:07 AM
in reply to: #900059

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: RE: Vineman Ironman 70.3

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! You did an awesome job and you sound like you had fun. The fact that you are already contemplating another HIM says a lot about your attitude and determination! I just wish I could have been there cheering you on (and drinking wine in between).

I'm very surprised that the racks weren't marked for an Ironman sponsored race. That seems to add to transition area confusion, as you noted. I wonder if there are plans to change that? You did great on the swim, your plan sounds perfect. Your bike split was right where we talked about you wanting it, even with the killer Chalk Hill (KeMo in reverse?!? - yuck!!). And hey, you completed the run, which is also what you said you wanted to do!

It sounds like you learned a lot from the experience and you know what to work on for the next race! I'm really excited for you - you did an awesome job!!

2007-07-25 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Woodstock

Awesome job on the race Elana! I knew you would do it. Wish I could ring some cowbell for you, but I was thinking about you and sending good mojo your way! Congrats on a HUGE accomplishment.

2007-07-25 9:32 AM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congratulations Half Iron Girl! You did a great job at the race. Nothing like starting the race from behind. You handled the late entry into the water in supreme fashion. Awesome job on the bike. I'm glad the weather and scenery was perfect. Sounds like you managed the entire ride perfectly. Good job getting through the run.  I was so happy to have Heather calling me with updates on your race progress and really wish I could have been out there offering you some personal support and encouragement. You rocked the race! Congrats again.
2007-07-25 9:45 AM

Woodstock, GA

I found your race report very inspiring.  Just wished for you there would have been more spectators during the run.  Hat off for your accomplishment Elena, you did great. 

2007-07-25 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Great job, Elena!  You really stayed with it and that's very admirable!  I wish the whole club could have been out there for you ringing cow bells and cheering because I know it always makes a difference when you have loads of people out there.  Maybe next year   Great job - you really should be proud of yourself.

2007-07-25 11:17 AM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Elena-
Congrats!! We were in the same group and had just about the same times! I must have seen you on the course. I was wearing the BT tri-suit. I'm looking forward to my next HIM.
Abbie

2007-07-25 11:52 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Way to go Elena! I am so impressed! You rocked it, congrats! Acworth is going to seem like a cake-walk after this!
2007-07-25 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Great Read!
2007-07-25 11:59 AM

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Congratulations! You are one tough chick. You did yourself & NAMC proud. You going to come to SC 1/2 & show us how it's done?
2007-07-25 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Congrats 70.3 HVineWoman (hopefully I got it right this time!)!!! Great race report - love what you said to the bike rack hog. If you had had more time I bet you could have gotten in there! I admire your determination - you're an inspiration!

Lisa B

PS - I didn't know your Dad was doing it too. That's cool!

2007-07-25 1:24 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
Great Job Elena!  I am impressed.  Good Race report too.
2007-07-25 1:39 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Great job overcoming a number of challenges.  It looks like you identified a few areas for improvement for your next HIM.  I bet you will easily shave off time the next race!!!  CONGRATS
2007-07-25 2:53 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

You should be very proud of yourself for finishing this race, HIM's are hard enough as is and this one was certainly a challenge in and of itself.

Take some time off and then let's tackle our next challenge!

2007-07-25 8:57 PM

User image

Master

Congrats on finishing the race.

7+ hours of doing anything would be emotionally draining.  You did awesome. 

2007-07-25 9:02 PM

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Great report, and great race. I think we should just make it a NAMC tradition to run/walk/walk/walk the HIM course - I know at least of few of us consider that a great day...

Enjoy the glow, and you are allowed, nay required, to wear the medal next Thursday.

-Josh

2007-07-25 9:16 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Like I said before, "You are a rockstar!!!"  Great job, Elena.  Great RR - I felt your pain, but I also felt you overcome all of it to cross the finish line.  Excellent!!
2007-07-25 9:42 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Great race report, Elena.  Congratulations on going the distance and enjoying the experience.

2007-07-25 11:15 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA

Great job finishing, and great race report - I especially liked the part about you almost missing your swim wave - I have that nightmare all the time!!!!!  Any you actually lived through it!!!!

The reason there were no spectators on the run is it was TOO FRIKIN HOT - they all melted!!!! 

Great job, hopefully we'll see you back next year.

Dennis

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vineman Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed