General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Injuries and Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-24 11:25 AM

New user

Madison, WI
Subject: Injuries and Training
Hi-

I mangled my knee skiing not to long ago, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to even remotely stay in some vagueness of shape while wheelchair-bound for a few months (got to let the knee/ leg heal). I get a decent workout doing wheelchair laps around the living/ dining room loop (I can pretend the carpet is the hills). I can probably start cycling/ swimming in a few months (Under my doctor's advice, of course), but I have a huge amount of time to kill now and a body that is/was in shape a'wasting... Other than the mangled knee, everything else is fine.

This summer is out for triathlons but I expect a full recovery and maybe do one for next year -

Thoughts?

2004-01-24 1:30 PM
in reply to: #4793

Harrisburg, PA
Subject: RE: Injuries and Training
I don't know much concerning knee injuries and the exercises which are then seen as being a help rather than a hinderance, However, it seems to me that in cases like that it is important to talk to the doc so as not to further delay the healing process or place unneeded strain on the injury.
A Physical Therp. Is a great way to get started. Also, working upper body in anyway possible is a great way to stay in shape, realitive to your condition....
Hope you are feeling better. Sorry to hear summer Tri is out.
Take Care
Katie
2004-01-24 3:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boise Idaho
Hey there.. Did you go for surgery? And if you do make sure to get a physical therapist! And they have a machine that bends and extends your knee through the range of motion that will speed up your recovery time by tons! I use to assist PT’s in the recovery of knee surgery, repairs and total knee replacement. For your bad knee you will want to go by whatever the doctor says but for the rest of your body isometric exercise would be ideal. It will help you keep what you have in good shape! I took kung fu for several years and we would have training sessions just using the isometric techniques. But when you do it put a big emphasis on your breathing and concentration. Visualizing your muscles getting stronger helps you really concentrate on working that muscle good. Hope that helps! Jack.
2004-01-25 5:41 PM

, Alabama
Sorry to hear of what sounds like a pretty bad injury. First of all, as everyone else said, getting a doc's approval and P.T. is most important. Other things to consider is that if you are truly wheelchair bound and are completely not able/allowed to stand except for transfers, tightness and weakness will occur not only on the injured side but on the strong hip and knee joints. That needs to be stretched. General strengthening also has to go for your arms in as many planes as your limitations will allow, trunk(core strengthening), and the unaffected leg. When you are finally allowed to stand, it will undoubtedly be with crutches or a walker (from your brief description) so everything else has to compensate for that injured side. As far as specifics, isometrics or supine exercises may be a possibility, or if you are allowed in the water, perhaps there is an aquatic physical therapy facility with a lift chair or ramp to get you into the water so you can do supine (i.e. Bad Ragaz), sitting or even standing work at different water depths while still not bearing weight on the affected leg. (I do aquatic physical therapy for a living, so I'm VERY much an advocate of it). Just to repeat, get the doc's okay first.

Ran off at the mouth a bit, but much is generalization wtihout having any idea what you really have going on.

Sharon
2004-01-27 8:17 AM
in reply to: #4904

New user

Madison, WI
I have a fracture in the tibial plateau (outside part of the top of the shin bone). I didn't completely break it off, so surgery is not necessary for now. I am not sure yet about all the ligament damage, which can still require surgery. The PT won't come in until the bone is healed (march).

I can use crutches but my balance isn't the greatest because of the pain killers I am on, so I am really leery to be on them much. I also really don't want to accidentally break off the large chunk of the Tibia that is hanging on by a thread -

Do you have a reference to some Isometrics or the supine exercises? I am looking at mainly my upper body/ trunk, without having to move anything on my lower body. I don't know much about these types of exercises. I won't be able to get in the water until I can be on my feet again. (Oh to swim again - I can't wait) What is a good Kung Fu reference or other exercises for my arms, neck, breathing, etc.

I will run any exercises by my doctor before I do anything.

Yeah - it is really frustrating to be off my feet - my triathlon club is having a sledding race this weekend (how many times you can go down the hill in 40 minutes) that sounds so fun. I am really happy that I will heal well enough to be able to run again, though.

Thanks much for your response.
2004-01-27 4:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
DUDE- so sorry to hear about your injury. unfortunately, this stuff takes time to heal- and sometimes, the best way to do that is to give your body a chance to heal. i've rehabbed a torn meniscus, and am currently rehabbing a neck/back injury [to give you my injury credentials he he he].... anyways- if you can talk to a PT that would be the best thing to do- they'll give you ideas on what you can do and what not to do.

and more unfortunate things, if it is ligamental- it'll really take a long time to heal. sometimes, if you don't let the ligament heal right- it'll calcify and for sure you'll need surgery.

so- take it slow- it'll be a very frustrating, might feel like withdrawel from training, maybe even depressing. BUT I HOPE NOT- take it easy, lots of luck!

Millly

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Injuries and Training Rss Feed