United States
City of Papillion Parks and Recreation
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 52s
Overall Rank = x/150
Age Group = 19-24
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Standard check-in procedures, setting up transition area. Started my warm-up shortly after I was all set-up so I didn't really do much. Listened to my iPod during warm-up and took a gel at 7:50.
Event warmup:

10min easy run, 10 min easy bike to the school and back down, wadin' in the water [children] with probably 200m swim warm-up just to see how the goggles would work with the swim cap.
Swim
  • 10m
  • 500 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

My time is an estimate because this wasn't chip-timed and I wasn't smart enough to press "lap/split" on my watch as I entered T1. REALLY felt like I was in my element in the water. During the warm-up I was doing 12 strokes easily between breaths. I wonder what the deal was? Perhaps there is something to that whole "taper" thing after all! I averaged probably 9 hours of sleep each night this week. Anyway my goggles didn't fog which is a miracle, I hardly sighted at all and swam darn near a straight line there and back. Swimming around the buoys I got a little wide but other than that I swam like a champ.
What would you do differently?:

Possibly could have swum faster though I'm not sure if the pace I kept was better for me on the run leg. Felt really good and relaxed the whole time.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Slapped on my helmet and took off! Mount was good, got up to speed well and into the ... whatever those things are called, clips I guess?

Get a race belt or not wear a shirt. I thought since I had a bib number I'd need to wear a shirt [which I guess I did need to give them my little tag thing at the end of the run]. Spent waaaay too much time trying to get that stupid thing on! Also need to invest in some sort of advanced shoelace technology. Tying just takes too long. Also a milk crate or bucket would have been nice.
Bike
  • 45m
  • 12.89 miles
  • 17.19 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, time is an estimate. My watch says 57.12 for when I split it on the first tenth of the run segment. I looked at my watch after I had my shoes and socks on and I was at 11:32. Took a gel asap and downed water throughout. Followed my strategy of staying seated the first lap and grinding the last two. Lap 2 I dropped one of my water bottles but thankfully had another. At the end of lap 2 I caught up to Brynn right in front of the transition area. She seemed annoyed that I wanted to talk to her but later she said she just had her "game face on". She's so cute! Lap 3 these girls tried to hand it to me but I botched the handoff... D'oh! At the beginning of lap 3 I took another gel so it would be absorbed by the time I got out on the run.

Possibly grind harder on lap 2 and stay seated on lap 3. My legs were blown up by the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 12s
Comments:

Entered T2 after people, got out before them. In; rack bike; helmet off; run like hell.

Bring a sweat band and/or sunglasses. Whew!
Run
  • 27m 30s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was so stinking hot! I got a side stitch right away that accompanied me throughout the run. THAT was no fun. Did the first mile at around a 10:00 pace and kicked it up after the second water station. Walked a tenth after the third water station and mashed out the last 3/4 mile. Got passed by one of my old football coaches, that was humbling :) Apparently it was his first tri too. With about a mile left my left quad started to want to cramp up right above the knee. I've experienced that in the pool but not on the run. Crossed paths with Brynn again with about 1/4 mile left.

Spin down on the bike earlier. Legs did NOT feel ready for the run
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted with VeganMan and coach for a few, ate bagels and drank Powerade whilst waiting for my wife to get done.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inadequate training. I'll leave it at that.

Event comments:

Did this one last year with the wife and BIL; we took the Co-ed team division. Teams were good this year! Run aid stations were better this year. Might do it again next year though I'd like to try the Cornhusker State Games tri and they seem to be very close together [1 day apart this year]. Might do both next year if they're a week apart. Definitely a great tri to be a beginner at!

Last updated: 2007-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:00 | 500 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/150
Performance: Good
Suit: spandex trunks
Course: Triangular loop. Nasty gooey lake bottom.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:00 | 12.89 miles | 17.19 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 3 laps, part trail, part sidewalk, part parking lot, part highway, part residential streets. Very hilly and typically windy [today was no exception].
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:30 | 03 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Concrete trail around lake. Out & back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-28 11:41 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Subject: Papillion Mayor's Triathlon

2007-07-28 11:56 PM
in reply to: #905423

User image

Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Papillion Mayor's Triathlon
Was your wife in a maroon shirt and finishing in around 1:49ish? If so, I finished not too far ahead of her and was waiting under one of the little trees near the finish for my friend to come in. Great job today, btw. That run was super hot...there was absolutely no air movement on that trail down by the lake.
2007-07-29 11:14 AM
in reply to: #905423

User image

It was my first tri, and I LOVED it! I was just shy of medaling in my age group...came in 4th. My time was 1:27:52. I didn't even expect to finish. The open water swim was DREADFUL! I will need to train for that next time...
I had surgery just a month prior, and was blessed with a bloodclot in my chest and abdomen (thrombosis). That decided to act up nicely on the run, causing intense pain. That sucked.

I met so many wonderful people! I can't say enough nice things about the entire event! I cannot wait to do another one, and am debating the Plattsmouth Sprint, August 12th.

I just want to thank everyone for being so awesome, for doing such a phenomenal job, and for being so supportive of everyone! Triathletes ROCK!

:-)
2007-07-29 10:12 PM
in reply to: #905575

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
TriYogi - 2007-07-29 11:14 AM

It was my first tri, and I LOVED it! I was just shy of medaling in my age group...came in 4th. My time was 1:27:52. I didn't even expect to finish. The open water swim was DREADFUL! I will need to train for that next time...
I had surgery just a month prior, and was blessed with a bloodclot in my chest and abdomen (thrombosis). That decided to act up nicely on the run, causing intense pain. That sucked.

I met so many wonderful people! I can't say enough nice things about the entire event! I cannot wait to do another one, and am debating the Plattsmouth Sprint, August 12th.

I just want to thank everyone for being so awesome, for doing such a phenomenal job, and for being so supportive of everyone! Triathletes ROCK!

:-)

With that kind of a time I'm glad you had issues on the run otherwise it sounds like you would have beaten me! I'm kidding of course.

Or am I ....
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Papillion Mayor's Triathlon Rss Feed