General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm new to Tri and fatigued Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-06 5:22 PM

User image

Folsom, CA
Subject: I'm new to Tri and fatigued
Hello everyone...the tri bug bit me @ a year ago. I'm 38 & was completely out of shape-so I trained hard for and completed my first Sprint in August of this year. No problem with motivation but I get really tired at night and sometimes during the day. Currently I'm Running 3 times per week (@5K each time) and swimming (@3,000yds) and biking (@20 miles) once per week each.

Am I overtraining? I'm going to run a 10K in November and then do 3-4 events next year.

2004-10-06 5:32 PM
in reply to: #69943

Online or Offline
Subject: RE: I'm new to Tri and fatigued

Hi Dave!

It does not sound like you are overtraining to me, but your training does not really look balanced, is that due to logistics? Do you swim 3000yds/week or 3000 yds/3x week?

Anyway, maybe you could look at your diet (do you take a multivitamin and intake enough calories?) and your sleep quality? How out of shape were you before you started training, and what were the results of your sprint?

Congratulations on the hard work, and welcome to BT!

2004-10-06 5:44 PM
in reply to: #69946

User image

Folsom, CA
Type A Girl Pilot,

I'm smimming 3,000 yds once a week, biking once a week and running 3 times a week. My tri-time was 1:58, slower than I thought it'd be, mostly due to the run (I didn't have any legs). I've never been a runner-so now I'm trying to focus on building that up.

I'm 6 foot, 2 inches and weighed in at @245 a year ago. Now I'm @225 and fairly firm but would like to drop another 10-15??? I take a multivitamin and eat a well balanced diet-and then snack/overeat at night (need to stop) . I think I get enough sleep.

Maybe fatigue is just the way it is? Thanks for your feedback, any other thoughts are appreciated.

2004-10-06 5:59 PM

Online or Offline

At first I thought maybe you lost too much weight too soon, but losing 25# over a year seems healthy.  You may have something hormonal or chemically whacked if you really truly feel fatigued. Maybe see your primary care physician (I heard different types of diabetes makes you tired, I dunno) and run it by him/her. You're doing so good on being active and becoming an athlete, you want to be able to manage this fatigue.

What kind of stuff are you eating on your late day binges? Maybe that has something to do with why you feel so crappy.

Do you attend a swim team workout on that day you swim 3000 yds?

2004-10-06 6:06 PM
in reply to: #69954

User image

Folsom, CA
Junk food in the late night It'll be the death of me. Regarding the swimming I do it alone. I swam in HS so I've always been able to build this up on my own.

Thanks for the feedback!
2004-10-06 6:17 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Junk food late at night can do wonders (in a bad way) to your blood sugar level... Exchange your junk snacks for some veggies. Also, instead of eating 3 bigger (or sometimes 1 or 2) meals a day, try 5 or 6 little meals every 2.5 to 3 hours. It'll keep your metabolism stoked and even out the blood sugar/consiousness roller coaster. And make sure to get your sleep! Good sleep too, not power napping for 2 hours at a shot between midnight snacks You may also need to play with your fat/carb/protein ratios until you find what works for you.

-Frank

2004-10-06 8:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thunder Bay, Ontario
One thing I learned over the years.... snacking properly.... between meals during the day, not late night.  If by eating enough during the day, there'll be no snacking late evening.  That does a number on the sleeping patterns.  Check out the training programs on BT, some good nutrition advice also.  I've learned a lot, and the people here are incredible.  Congrats on your weight loss so far....
2004-10-07 9:15 AM

Nottingham, England
Essential to have good sleeping patterns and also a good diet. Find drinking loads of water helps greatly and again snacking on nuts etc. Also try to stay strong willed, believe you can do it.
2004-10-07 10:09 AM

User image

Regular
Marble Falls, TX
One of the first things I did once I started a training program was have a complete physical including blood work, it helped allot just to know all was well, before I delved into it. I would tell the Dr, your situation and they can look at it, along with perhaps a nutritionist or dietition they can help. I started the snacking at night for a while until I realized my day time meals were insufficient and I would watch tv and see those darn fast food commercial...man...
try writing down every bite of food you have and work out the carbs, protien, fat, sugar..etc (there is a template in word I used) and figure out your daily and weekly intake... the Dr will need that along with for yourself, there are a few sites you can look at and it will tell you what you should be taking in...
I hope that helps

Train safe...
2004-10-11 12:27 PM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Fatigue is a weird thing. Over training can cause fatigue. What time are you doing your work outs? With me if I do them too late at night I'm so charged up that I don't sleep well. But if I do them too early I can't make it through the day. It took a lot of experimenting to find the right time for me.

Listen to your body, if you think you're over training you probably are. And over training can set your entire work out schedule back.
Keep track of your diet, nutrient difficiencies can also cause fatigue. Check out Dietpower.com, I used it to loose 40lbs and now use it to keep track of my essential nutrients.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm new to Tri and fatigued Rss Feed