Papillion, Nebraska
United States
City of Papillion Parks and Recreation
Total Time = 1h 27m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:00am. Ate a bar and banana, took a shower, and fretted and worried about my checklist until I left at 5:30. I think my routine ultimately consisted of going to the bathroom a MILLION times. Rode a bit on the bike. Took a short jog, stared at the lake, and stretched.
Event warmup:

Completely forgot to start my watch, and click on my bike. Have no idea what my splits were. I know my bike was really fast, based on other's comments.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 500 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

TERRIFYING! I almost raised my arm....3 times. Had to tell myself to SHUT UP when panic attacks ensued. I came to finish, and wimping out in the swim was not an option. I think swimming through pea soup was a little too unnerving.
What would you do differently?:

Practice open water swimming with no excuses. I might even join a Masters Program for additional help. I just thought I was a lost cause anyway, so what was the point.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I think this went really well. I am scared of bike shoes, so I save time on that. Tri laces were a must. I was very pleased with them. I love my bike so much.

I forgot my gum...I need gum to do well, for whatever reason. I think I would put an energy drink on my bike instead of water. Perhaps two holders...one for water, one for energy.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 15 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Considering I was like the last person out of the water, I made up for things on the bike. It felt good, and I felt really accomplished after.

Energy drink and water on the bike. Maybe get bike shoes? We shall see... I trained a lot on the bike, because I like it so much.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This one was a blur. I was off my bike, grabbed some gum, and went.

I don't know...
Run
  • 00m
  • 3 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Doubled over in pain from surgery issues. Not fun. I am irritated, because I know I could have done better during the run, but for that. Not making excuses, but I was very frustrated.

Not have surgery before a race, if it can be helped. :-) Drink an energy drink on the bike, maybe that would help kick it into gear?
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a while. Drank a PowerAde. Very nice that that was available.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stupid, stupid lumpectomy. Oh well. Can't change it now. Will try to do better in the next race.

Event comments:

I LOVED IT! I can't wait for my next race!

Last updated: 2007-07-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 500 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:00:00 | 15 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Really nice course, in my opinion. I think it was an advantage that it was a 3-lap, because I knew what to expect on 2 and 3. Could conserve energy, and kick it when needed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 03 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Flat, and smooth. I thought it was nice.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-07-29 11:41 AM

User image

Subject: Papillion Mayor's Triathlon

2007-07-29 3:57 PM
in reply to: #905594

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Subject: RE: Papillion Mayor's Triathlon
Yay another one finishes the Mayor's Tri! Good job, sounds like you did well even without your gum
2007-07-30 10:12 PM

User image

Regular
Congrats on finishing your first tri. You did great. Are you the woman who was standing with Katie Collins before the race started that I was talking with?
2007-07-31 2:43 PM
in reply to: #907626

User image

Yes! That was me! Good job to you on your race! Wasn't it a blast?
I have decided to do the Sprint in Plattsmouth on the 12th...very excited!
I did an open water swim with my aunt (the other gal with me in the purple suit) and it was slightly less dreadful, though still in the horrifying category. :-)
Do you do a lot of OWS?
2007-07-31 2:46 PM
in reply to: #905733

User image

lol. gum is imperative to my performance! isn't that silly?
2007-07-31 3:26 PM
in reply to: #908587

User image

Regular
Other than my front tire wobbling during the ride and not realizing it until after the race was done it was a very enjoyable time. I knew something was wrong early on in the bike but I chalked it up to my legs being tired from the swim. I knew something was really wrong when I finished my second lap a few minutes faster than I had completed the entire three laps a week earlier. Oh well, live and learn.

I did a total of 4 OWS prior to the Papio tri. One at Hansen Lakes, two at Lake Manawa, and then when I competed in my first tri in Des Moines). I didn't do an OWS between that tri and this one, which in hindsight, was probably a mistake.

I'd love to do the Plattsmouth tri on the 12th but I don't think it's going to happen, but we'll see.

How do you know Katie? She's the PT for the school that I'm a principal at. I didn't know that she was a triathlete until just before the start of the Des Moines tri, in the midst of 1700 people, we ran into each other. She did great on Saturday!

2007-07-31 9:57 PM
in reply to: #908668

User image

That sucks about the bike. You did so great in spite of it!
I had just met Katie as I was standing there, terrified to walk into the water. She is so cool! I am trying to get back in touch with her, as we have PT and Yoga in common. One of the things I teach in yoga is therapeutics, so we chatted about combining forces with some different entities in town. She did such an awesome job...I hope to medal someday. I was seconds away from third in my age group, so it's something for which to strive!
If you would, tell her hello for me!
Do you aspire to the longer tris...1/2 and/or full?
2007-08-01 5:24 PM
in reply to: #909082

User image

Regular
I'll see Katie in the coming weeks as school gets started here. If this was your first tri, you are well on your way to medaling. Keep up the good work.

I'd like to do a 1/2 IM next year and then a full IM the following year but we'll see how the training for that goes. I really liked the Olympic distance that the Des Moines one was. You should definately consider competing in that one next year. It was really amazing to be one of 1700 participants.
2007-08-14 3:50 PM

User image

Veteran
western iowa, almost nebraska.
the papillion tri was my first also. Coming from a cycling background, that was definitely the strong suit for me. the open water swim was a trial of confusion and disorientation. It felt more like a mosh pit then a swimming event. I got kicked square in the face and lost my goggles at the first bouyee, and ended up having a bad swim, had a great bike passing people left and right, but I had a problem with my left lower leg the weekend before the race and hadn't ran on it all week, not wanting to completely roach it before the race. So my leg let go at about 2.5 miles and I had to walk it in. I set a goal of 1:30 and finished 1:29. I passed so many people on the bike to watch them all run back past me on my 31 minute run. sniffle sniffle! But it was a blast. I am planning to do the black squirrel on the 25th. Hopefully will meet some of you there. I staged right by katie Collins at this race and talked with her quite a bit. She is a great person!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Papillion Mayor's Triathlon Rss Feed