General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vacation around Lake Tahoe/Mammoth need a swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-30 9:47 AM

Regular
The OC
Subject: Vacation around Lake Tahoe/Mammoth need a swim
Hi all,
We are heading to the Lake Tahoe and Mammoth for a week. I am still going to train. I am taking my bike and would also like to get in a swim. Any recommendations for OWS in these areas?

Thanks,
Donna

2007-07-30 11:21 AM
in reply to: #906454

User image

Subject: RE: Vacation around Lake Tahoe/Mammoth need a swim

Both?  They are several hours apart......

Assuming you are going to be in the Mammoth area, June Lake - a bit north of Mammoth Lakes - has a nice beach for some OW swimming.  There is also a lap pool at the intersection of US395 and Benton Crossing, just south of Mammoth, at the "Green Church"

A great ride from Mammoth Lakes is down 214 to 395 south, turn left on Benton Crossing road (where the pool is), that's a nice road with a good climb.  We did, I think, 30-35 out and back.  Another nice climb is Minaret Road all the way up past the ski area to Minaret Summit.  Short ride, but a straight climb from about 7K to about 9500 feet.  I didn't do it, but I am told the ride up to Lake Mary and around the basin is nice as well.

2007-07-30 11:31 AM

Regular
The OC
THANK YOU!!! I love the biking in Mammoth.

Yes, BOTH! We are on a jeep trail outside of Placerville, The Rubicon Trail then to Downieville and Lake Tahoe for some mtn biking, Reno, Nv for a dog event (our labradors participate in retriever trials) then to Mammoth for some more mtn biking.

Thanks again,
Donna
2007-07-30 3:53 PM

User image

Regular
Tahoe City, CA
Hey Donna,
Essentially you can swim anywhere on Tahoe and it's great. If you're going to be by yourself (and in the Tahoe City area) there are 2 great piers to swim between right off Commons Beach. If you're standing on Commons Beach and looking out at the lake the first pier you see on your right is a public pier. Jump in there and swim to your right to the next pier. It's shallow enough to keep most boats out and the ones that do venture there are moving really slow.
I'm still doing some OW swims until Wednesday if you want to join me.
Have a great trip!
Dawn
2007-08-01 10:57 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Sand Harbor (it's a state park, with paid parking) on north shore of Tahoe is a nice swim.  You can go the length of the buoy line and get a great OWS in.  My swim there in rough water one day last year was the hardest swim workout I've ever had.  I'll be there in mid-August again this year.

As far as some rides in the Reno-Tahoe area, there's a good climb up Mt. Rose Hwy to Tahoe, about a 70-mile loop around the lake if you'd like that, and another neat climb is from the 395 up to Virginia City (southeast of Reno).

2007-08-13 10:13 AM

Regular
The OC
Thank you all for the information. I am sorry I am just now getting back to you all. We got home late last night after being gone for 12 days. I unfortunately came down with quite the chest cold for the last week during the time we were in Tahoe and Mammoth. I will keep all the information you gave for next time I am in the area.

Thanks again,
Donna

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vacation around Lake Tahoe/Mammoth need a swim Rss Feed