XTERRA
88F / 31C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 27m 41s
Overall Rank = 60/125
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/10
Pre-race routine:

Camped out the night before. For Aug. in TX. it was nice weather. Went to bed around 10:30 and woke up at 2:30. After that I felt I was in and out for the rest of the night. Someone's car alarm kept going off. That didn't help. Woke up around 6:30 and ate a light breakfast.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warm up. It was a standing start in the river. took a quick dip before the start to get used to the water. It was a little chilly but nice. No warm up to speak of. I regret not doing any mental preperaton before that start. I think that is something I need to focus on. I just sorta get to the line, talk to those around me then start
Swim
  • 22h 33m
  • 875 yards
  • 2h 34m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt really good with the swim. This has been my focus during training and I could tell. The only issue I had was some zig zaging. This cost me some time
What would you do differently?:

Work more on maintaining a consistant line
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Good transition. Got out and on the bike quickly
Bike
  • 1h 16m 23s
  • 10 miles
  • 7.86 mile/hr
Comments:

I SUCKED ON THE BIKE. I am a good mountain biker and really slacked on my training on the bike. I had NO legs and felt really weak from almost the start of this leg. I was embarrassed for myself. This is my "strength" and I lost the most ground here.

I sorta take the bike for granted and have been focusing on my swimming for OLYs this year. Most of the riding I have been doing is on the road and I failed to prepare for MTB again. I need to be more balanced.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Just fine, although I took some time tying my shoes
Run
  • 45m 51s
  • 4 miles
  • 11m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I was dead by this point and ran/walk the whole course. Thank God it was overcast. If this had been a full sun day alot of us (me) would have been in trouble with the heat.

I should have ran more. Mentally I was weak today.
Post race
Warm down:

Water. walked around and stretched

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of mental toughness and my lack of long bricks. I need to get my body/mind used to longer workouts (2-3 hrs+). My workouts need to be more consistant. Vacations and such have hurt me but my discipline must be better

Event comments:

It was a perfect place to host an Xterra. The course was amazing. It would have been nice to have cold drinks at the end and fruit. It was not as supported as most Tri's but it was very difficult to get to so it my have not been easy to do this.

Last updated: 2007-08-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
22:33:00 | 875 yards | 2h 34m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/125
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: It was a river swim with a climb (over a 8 ft dam in the middle of the swim). Had to walk/run parts of the swim due to low water. Water was clear
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:38
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:16:23 | 10 miles | 7.86 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: None
Course: 1st half of the course was gradual uphill switchbacks. Rocky in places. No drastic climbs. There was one long jeeproad climb. 2nd half of course was mostly gradual downhill with a SWEET dry riverbed section that was technical.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:45:51 | 04 miles | 11m 28s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Lord, this course was straight up then straight down. I was dead but it was a blast. on the way down there were some rocky sections that you had to semi-climb. There was a dam to run accross (2 inch running water) and then a run/wade accross the river (2 ft). It was awesome
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-08-09 1:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Mansfield, TX
Subject: XTERRA Camp Eagle

2007-08-09 2:05 PM
in reply to: #919955

User image

Subject: RE: XTERRA Camp Eagle
W0W! i respect anyone who does these kind of races. I have mountain biked on a few single tracks before and it scared the crap out of me!! It is a lot more technical than just riding on a road. GREAT JOB!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Camp Eagle Rss Feed