Overall Rank = 57/61
Age Group = Master's Open
Age Group Rank = 12/14
Run
  • 15h 10m 34s
  • 100 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I am just going to write everything in this box, since this format doesn't take into account the relay nature of this race.

We had driven up to Stowe on Friday, along the route of the race, although we occasionally missed portions of the race as it didn't always travel along VT Route 100. We arrived at the Trapp Family Lodge, registered and told the race director one important detail. Our sixth runner was trapped in Pittsburgh, and probably wouldn't make it. The sun was setting and we started to head for the lean-to at Smuggler's Notch State Park. It was rustic but we thought it would do. Then we returned to Stowe for dinner. We ate a good dinner, surrounded by other teams from the race. We had received news that Team member #6 had gotten a flight to NYC since the airline diverted a plane to PIT to get some folks to NYC. Nonetheless I thought we should set up a contingency plan... During dinner we worked out a 5-member possibility. Three of us would need to run four legs. As it turned out, my brother Jeremy, my cousin Dave and I were the ones tapped to run the extra legs. My last leg was to be the last leg of the race. I would get to bring us across the finish line. Our re-arrangement of the runners also evened out our mileage. We were now all near 20 miles. I was at 19 (longer than I had ever run in my life).

When we left dinner, we saw that rain was pouring outside. My brother said, "I will spring for hotel rooms, if you don't want to sleep in the lean-to." For some reason we all resisted. We returned to the lean-to, and our resistance dissolved. Before we knew it we were headed back to Stowe to find rooms for the night. We found two rooms in an old house that fit the bill perfectly. I was asleep by 10:15... At 11:15, I heard Dave talking to Team member #6... his flight out of NYC to Burlington, VT had been canceled. He would not be making it. I resumed sleeping. I awoke at 3 a.m. to the sound of rain pouring down outside. Despite the forecasts of low possibility of rain, it looked like it was here in force.

Our start time was set for 6:30 a.m. and we awoke at 5 a.m. We got ready threw our stuff in the rooftop carrier and headed out. When we got to the starting point, we were dismayed to see the rain and cold and wind. I was delighted however by the coffee provided by the Green Mountain Coffee Roasters... best race day coffee I have ever drunk.

When it came time, my brother took the first leg, which was a trail run. The excitement of the race helped keep the worst of the damp and chill at bay. Then we were off. The first third of the race was fairly hilly, then we hit flatter VT farmlands, ending with some more mountains. We wree not allowed to shadow runners, but we were allowed to pull off and hand water/fuel/etc. off to them if there was a safe space to do so. So each leg consisted in one or two stops to check in on the runners.

I had four legs: Leg 5, 10, 15, 18.

Leg #5: (5.5 mi. - 51:45 - 9:24pace)My first leg was my longest at 5.5 miles. I ran it quite fast, almost at the pace I ran my 5k two weeks previous. I didn't even realize it. I did get a nasty charley horse in my calf. I tried to beat it into submission and for the run it seemed to work well, although when I finished it was bad. I kept trying to stretch, rub it out, take in more salts, etc. I had no luck really. I was really concerned I couldn't keep going. And that might end the team's run, might not, but I was really afraid that it would. Anyway... I am really proud of that run for my speed. I didn't watch my watch all that much and I just ran.

Leg 10:(4.2 mi - 43:32 - 10:32 pace) This leg would take us over the halfway point. It had gotten sunny. The coolness and rain were behind us. We were in flat farmland. When I started, my calf was really bad. I had a couple of sharp pains shoot up my leg as I ran. I had an incredibly short gait, which was tiring me quickly. And then about half a mile into the run, I felt something give in my calf. The calf was sore, but I had worked the cramp out. I had worn headphones for this leg to help me run through the pain and that was a help (it was the only leg I did use music). As I crossed over the 50-mile mark, I was feeling good, and I raised my fist. I didn't run this one all that fast, but still pretty good given the cramp issue, and we were over halfway.

Leg 15: (4.5 mi. - 46:00 - 10:13 pace) This leg started at a lodge Killington peak. There were some rolling hills at the top, and then a 3 mile descent down the mountain. This leg was by far the steepest hil I had ever run down. And I think I ran well down the hills. I leaned forward, kept my feet beneath me, not overextend my stride, and tried not to hammer my feet into the ground (the following day my knees were sore, but that faded as the day went on... and by Tuesday there was nothing there...). My shoes did get blazing hot by the bottom... I guess my feet slid slightly with each step, but I don't think that could be helped. I was very pleased that a guy who had passed me on the rolling hills, had the tables turned when I passed him on the descent. He was surprised. I felt good about this run.

Leg 18: (4.8 mi - 1:02:00 - 12:54 pace) This leg was the final leg of the race. We were running in complete darkness. I wore a headlight, and a blinker on the back. Sadly I changed into a shirt which I had never worn before on a run, but as I had only planned on running three legs, I couldn't really help this. This run was pretty flat, except near the end there was a moderate hill as I entered Okemo Mountain Resort. The scenery, which would have been beautiful I am sure, was completely blacked out. I ran on feel alone... of course, this lack of visibility helped in that I couldn't see hills or inclines before me.

And now I must warn anyone who does not want to read of intestinal issues to skip forward:

The entire race we had been working on refueling. I had eaten a variety of things, but mainly clif bars, pb&j sandwiches, peanut butter pretzels. After a stop at the porta-potty at the beginning of leg #3 to drop some kiddies off at the pool, I had only urinated. But I never felt like I needed to do anything other than that. Even with the gas I had been having, everything felt clear down there. Even when I started that last leg, I felt no pressure or need to go at all. Big big mistake. I had cruised through three miles, had passed a guy walking, and I tried to pick up the pace slightly. Then it happened. The gas pressure built up, except I realized that it wasn't just gas. I tried to walk it off, but the pressure wasn't going to go away. Then I felt the quiver. And if you have ever experienced this, you know what I mean. The quiver of your intestines before the dam bursts, so to speak. I had a decision to make and quick. I darted off the road, dropped my shorts, and emptied everything, right on a front yard. I felt terrible. But I pulled up my shorts and then kept running. About half a mile down the road, I saw my team. My cousin Mike was standing there and when he saw me, he yelled, "Water or Gatorade?" I started running toward the van and replied, "I have more pressing issues right now! Where's the toilet paper?!!?!" My cousin Mike started looking for his socks because he thought I was saying that I couldn't finish the run. Then I explained to them all that I needed a new pair of shorts and TP because as I yelled to them, "I just crapped on someone's lawn!" Someone dug out the TP, I grabbed my last pair of shorts, and my cousins Mike and Dave created a human shield for me, providing a modicum of modesty as I wiped myself and changed on the side of the road. So it was that at least ten minutes of this run was taken up by intestinal issues. I would have felt great with an eleven minute pace for my final leg... but that was not to be.

Finished with intestinal issues.

So I had less than a mile to go after my final pit stop. The team had gone on toward the finish line and I plodded away with the final distance. The hill at the end was brutal. In the dark I couldn't see its end. I wasn't even sure I was going the right way. Then at last I saw some tiki torches. A woman standing there asked me team number and I saw the path illuminated toward the finish line. There outside of the building where the finish line was, were my teammates. We all ran in together as they called out our name and everyone there broke out into cheers. What a great feeling! We had our picture taken, got our medals and then got in line to eat.
What would you do differently?:

Certainly have a sixth team member... and make more use of the porta-potties.
Post race
Warm down:

We stood around in line waiting for food, and stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't know... this was the longest run I had ever done, with some of the fastest paces I have ever run. Lack of speed/tempo work, which I have started, but haven't done much of.

Oh... and my weight... still falling but not all that low...

Event comments:

The 100 on 100 is in its third year. The race is great. Of course, with this race you supply your own drink/aid stuff, but they started with breakfast, and a post-race party. They need to get the post-race party figured out. We were left to eat burnt hamburgers and hot dogs while earlier finishers got pork barbecue. There wasn't even any side dishes left either. Despite that issue though I thoroughly enjoyed the race. We are all contemplating a return next year.

Last updated: 2007-06-06 12:00 AM
Running
15:10:34 | 100 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/14
Overall: 14/61
Performance: Good
Course: 100 mile run, broken into 18 legs that went from the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, VT down to Okemo Mountain Resort, VT. Most of the race was on VT route 100 (hence the 100 on 100 name). The first 2.5 miles were a trail run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-23 10:44 AM

User image

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh
Subject: 100 on 100 Relay

2007-08-30 10:10 AM
in reply to: #937568

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen
Subject: RE: 100 on 100 Relay
Wow!  What a fantastic job!  Sorry, but I had to skip the GI section.  Otherwise, a great RR.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 100 on 100 Relay Rss Feed