United States
WTC
86F / 30C
Total Time = 18h 00m 21s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I guess first I must say I wasnt suppose to do the race because of medical reasons but I couldnt not try. What I thought started as a hemeroid on the 10th of this month ended with a MRSA Staph invection and 4 days in the hospital getting antibiotics iv'd into my system. I got out of the hospital on the 18th and wasnt able to sit on my bike run or swim so depression sat in thinking there was noway I could do this race. Each day I started feeling better because they have me on a 14 day supply of antibiotics to finish clearing it up. I think the only reason I went to the doctor was knowing the race was coming up. I am stuburn and even though the infection was in my lymph's in my pelvis area and all down my right leg where I couldnt even walk, couldnt sit, sleep put my legs together I had to go see what was wrong so I could do the race that was only 12 days away. I just cried when I went in....I said I have an Ironman in 12 days what is wrong with my...fix it so I can do the race. Ofcourse I got lots of strange looks.

Couldnt sleep the night before I guess that is normal. Got out of bed at 3:50 tried to eat peanut butter sandwich....tasted yulky and then a granola bar was ok. Walked around hotel room trying to get my system to have to potty but never did. Met my bestfriend in the lobby of hotel and on the way to the check in stopped to get our other friend who stayed somewhere else. Lots of nerves.
Event warmup:

Warmup consisted of sudden whoooo outbursts......several jumps in the air to click my heels together and feelings of vomiting
Swim
  • 1h 26m 13s
  • 4374 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

The river actually was cleaner then I expected and the taste wasnt as nasty as some of the other places I have swam. The current was strong going into it and I kept wondering when I got to turn around to go with it! Finally that happened and I wasnt as home free as I thought but it was nice.
What would you do differently?:

Felt good about the swim. My shoulder bothered me a couple times so I just did the breast stroke and changed breathing signs. I just thought....get thru this swim to get on the bike.
Transition 1
  • 10m 6s
Comments:

This was pretty cool. I haven done an IM before so when people are there getting your stuff out for you it was great. My bra got stuck on my semi wet body and there they are helping pull it down. What pampering!
Bike
  • 8h 45m 6s
  • 112 miles
  • 12.80 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike course is very tough. I had done 80 miles of it last month so I knew what I was in for but then I got sick and couldnt do anything at all for the past 3 1/2 weeks. I loved seeing my family and all the people cheering in LaGrange. I wanted to take them with me the rest of the way. I wanted off that bike so bad. My feet got swollen and I undid my shoes to losen them.

Not get sick before the race or when I realize my body is feeling different stop training and rest immediatly!
Transition 2
  • 12m 55s
Comments:

Great just handing off your bike!!! My family was there when I came in......I was so glad to make that bike cut off. Gave my mom, dad, son and boyfriend a kiss and off I tried to run.
Run
  • 8h 06m 40s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 18m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I couldnt get into the run. I had some problem with the tendons in the back of my right knee from the bike. My inner thighs even were killing me and then a monster of a blister came out on the ball of my foot. I started off with a decent pace walk and just enjoyed everything and everyone. I tried to run a couple times and just couldnt get going. When I started getting a blister I took my sock of thinking it was too wet and that did help for a couple miles. I then tought.....hmmm maybe I will go barefoot but that only made it a couple steps. At the half way point I really wanted to quit. That word has never been part of my vocabulary but I was hurting and I knew I couldnt make the time. My son was there with my boyfriend and my son kept saying you can do it....dont you dare stop mom. My boyfriend just said how proud he and everyone was and to be careful....He was worried from the get go about doing the race because I shouldnt have really tried it but did understand that I had to. Off I went for the second lap and stopped at the first aide station and just had them sit bags of ice on my quads. Felt great and off I went for a little bit. I ran a little more and this is were I kept saying how bad I want this and all the pictures people with bleeding feet and blisters everywhere were in my head and they did it so can I. Then reality again set in and I knew I couldnt make the time cut. I knew I would be close but there was no way I could run 10 min miles with the shape my legs and foot was so I did what I could. I had about 2 miles left and there comes the news......A white van says do you want a ride back because you wont make the cut....I said no way......I was told you could finish the race as long as you made the bike cut off and he said that the police may want me on the sidewalk because there would not be enough help on the course and I said fine...I am going to finish. He then said I will get your chip now and you wont have to worry about it later. I then got a lump in my throat from that reality and couldnt even swallow. I saw some spectators still and they were still cheering my on and I was just balling and trying to prevent myself from hyperventilating......I just said I didnt make the cut and they didnt even understand what that meant....all they could say was how wonderful I was and how great I was doing. I saw the aide station ahead and had to potty I had been afraid to stop to waste time this second lap and then I saw my son and boyfriend and they just hugged me and told me how proud and wonderful I was doing and I finally could breath again. They walked my the rest of the way in. Side by side we went. 28 min too late for the announcer to say Jennifer Hatcher you are an ironman.....but I finished and got the finishers medal and wore it proud!

I think that maybe if I started making myself fight thru the pain in the beginning of the run that I would have made it? I dont know. This blister started at about mile 2 or 3 and by the end of the race it overtook the ball of my foot. I did manage to ignore that pain a couple times and even my knees joints and quads etc but just couldnt get the job done in time.
Post race
Warm down:

I took a cold shower at the hotel but the water just didnt get cold enough for me. I couldnt sleep at all. My stomach started to bother me and my legs were just aching. We went ahead and got up to come home and stopped to get my green bag and a tshirt. I tried to eat but it didnt stay down. I just wanted to be home.

Event comments:

Tough course

Last updated: 2007-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:26:13 | 4374 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Ohio River.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 10:06
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
08:45:06 | 112 miles | 12.80 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: I hate this bike course. Too many hills and not enough breaks
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 12:55
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
08:06:40 | 26.2 miles | 18m 35s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: It was a nice run course
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-08-27 6:29 PM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Subject: Ford Ironman Louisville

2007-08-28 4:55 AM
in reply to: #943018

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman Louisville
Amazing! As a fellow back-of-packer I appreciate how long you were out on the course. You are tough as nails! Just think of all those wimps who had to finish in like 12 hrs becasue they couldn't keep going for 18 hrs! :-)

Good job.

~Mike
2007-08-28 12:02 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Amazing race report.. From the Hosptial to Iroman.. You are tough.. just make sure you get to the doctor earlier from now on.    
2007-08-28 1:08 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
WOW! Rough day out there. Congratulations on finishing, even when you could have quit.

*Hugs*
2007-08-28 5:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC
congrats !!  i don't know which one you were, but i was there cheering you on...
2007-08-28 8:00 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Wow, you should be very proud of yourself!  Great rr.  You'll get em next time

2007-08-28 8:07 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I dont care what anyone says you are an ironman in my book!! Congratulations.  I donot think I would have the fortitude to overcome as much as you did.  Amazing!!
2007-08-28 8:51 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Amazing race report!  Congratulations on pushing through all those challenges.

Ernie

2007-09-01 4:18 PM

User image

Veteran
You're a champion and you don't need the fake Mike Reilly to tell you that!
2007-09-01 4:59 PM

User image

Expert
lake forest, California
Sounds like you were one of the toughest competitors out on the course that day. Congratulations- Jennifer Hatcher- YOU, ARE AN IRONMAN!!!
2007-09-01 9:30 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
wow. you got guts girl.

2007-09-01 9:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
wicked cool, congrats!
2007-09-02 10:36 AM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

Jennifer Hatcher...YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION!!!

Good Job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ford Ironman Louisville Rss Feed