DQ Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 49s
Overall Rank = 320/385
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 26/29
Pre-race routine:

Trying to decide whether to race at all. My knees were in terrible shape on Friday. I iced them three times during the day, plus painkillers and staying off them as much as I could, and I was still limping around that night. And my legs felt generally exhausted, though I'd been easy on them all week - I think it was just all the stress of the inflammation. When I went to bed, just lying there, they were throbbing. I didn't sleep much, mostly worrying about that, and when I got up on race day, my first steps were to shooting pains. But I decided I couldn't miss coming back to my first race, and seeing my improvements over the past year. So I popped more painkillers and went. I had the usual Clif bar and Gatorade for breakfast, though this was aided by a Luna bar and a lot of water just before I went to bed (I felt my poor worn out legs needed every boost they could get).
Event warmup:

By the time we'd driven the hour down to Marlton, my knees were feeling a bit better. I walked around the race area, set up my transition, and even grudgingly decided to go on a VERY short warm-up run, which felt ok. Not great but ok. After walking over to the swim start across the lake, the race start was delayed, so I got in and swam around the lake a bit until my wave was ready to go. I made sure I got a good spot up in front.
Swim
  • 06m 59s
  • 402 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was absolutely determined to be in under 7:00 this time, so I started like I was shot out of a cannon. This was a good plan, because I broke away from the pack right away, which made the beginning of my swim far easier. I sighted along the first two left buoys fine, but once I passed the second, I couldn't get my bearings. I seemed to be swimming in the middle of nowhere. I'm not sure if I got off course, but I eventually found the pack again and stayed on the ankles of one chick until almost the end, because I couldn't seem to stop crashing into her, even though I was trying to get away. I left the water with a pack of people and hustled over the timing mat, realizing that I needed every second (and little did I know how close I was to that goal time!).
What would you do differently?:

I would stop and clear my goggles earlier. I didn't want to lose time, but it didn't even take a second and once I'd done it, I had a better idea of where I was, although my bearings were still off. I'm not sure what was going on with those buoys. I would also swim until my hand touched bottom at the end, like I intended to. Everyone else was on their feet, so I got up, but the water was still thigh-deep, which is a difficult trudge. But what can I say? This is my best effort so far . . . although it would hardly be satisfactory if I were in real swimming shape.
Transition 1
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

I got a little tripped up here. As soon as I crossed the mat into the transition area, I walked, not wanting to agitate my knees too soon. When I got to my stuff, I should have had a towel out for a quick dry-off. Instead, I tried to put my shirt on over my dripping suit, and it got all tangled and took way too much time to undo, since I didn't want to rip the race number. I tossed my helmet on and decided to clip it while running with the bike, but quickly learned that it can't be done effectively. It also can't be done once you've mounted the bike. I actually had to stop biking to do it. Bad decision.

Clip the helmet before you start! And maybe buy a race belt so I don't have that shirt issue. Then it wouldn't matter that I was dripping.
Bike
  • 47m 30s
  • 11 miles
  • 13.89 mile/hr
Comments:

I suck at the bike. If you look at the final race results, my bike speed is at least three or four mph below everyone I placed around. Which says a lot for my other legs. The new bike I plan to buy very soon will help this. Pedals that I can pull up on will certainly work wonders. As will aerobars. But as for this race, I think I did pretty well. I definitely wanted to do it on the old bike to track my improvement from a year ago. While I still get discouraged watching everyone pass me, I was mentally more in control than at King's Grant, where I really got depressed on the bike. This time I kept it together and rode my own race.

Make sure my bike computer was working properly before the bike started. I spent time reaching down and fiddling with it, but it never really registered. I would have liked to know my speed and how far I'd gone. But it wasn't the end of the world.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

I racked the bike! First time I've been able to accomplish that in a race! Otherwise, I went a little slow, especially in putting on my headband (which could have been done while I was running!).

Not eat those damned Sport Beans before the run. They're just what I need before the bike, but I don't think I really need food before the run. There's not enough time for it to kick in. Some Gatorade should do it. And besides choking on the Sport Beans as I start to run, I feel them in my throat for the rest of the race. That step will certainly be dropped from the next race I do.
Run
  • 27m 25s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

It is vindicating to get off that damned bike and immediately start passing the people who had blown by me so recently. I was only passed by one person. I probably passed around twenty. That certainly did a lot for my psychological state. My legs took awhile to get under me, but I kept up a decent pace until the first water station, where I took a drink walk as usual. I didn't stop again until the turnaround, only to be spurred into action by that boy scout. Shortly after this I realized that between my knee support and the chip on my ankle, I was cutting off the circulation in my right leg, which was feeling rather dead. I stopped to loosen them, which was really necessary, because the whole rest of my race improved after I dealt with that. I stopped at least twice after the second water station, which I knew I shouldn't do, since I was going for the goal time of sub-28:00, but I was very drained and my knee kept threatening to flare up (which it never actually did). My biggest regret is walking just a minute and a half from the finish. I started running again when I noticed how close the cheering was, but that wasn't necessary because I knew I was almost there. I motored through the finish, swearing under my breath, but was happy with the effort because I did, after all, make that goal time.

Really get on myself about not walking. Especially during the last mile. Stop being such a whiner and finish the race. Then, and only then, will there be resting.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around dazed for a few minutes, then got food. Mostly the long walk to the car, then sitting the whole way home. Then nice long recovery bubble bath (a highlight of every race!).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I should say it was my knees, but they really didn't bother me during the race, which is amazing considering the state I was in yesterday, and even early this morning! I'm shocked they don't hurt now . . . A real road bike would certainly help me, but I'm ditching the hybrid very soon, so that will be remedied . . . Other than that, I hit my goals on all three segments, so I have no complaints. I plan on working on that bike over the offseason and coming back next year for a major improvement in overall place.

Event comments:

The race started late this year, for reasons they did not disclose. Other than that, I think everything went well. Nice to see what the race is really like after last year's weather shenanigans. I'm planning on making this the finale of every triathlon season.

Last updated: 2006-12-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:59 | 402 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/29
Overall: 32/385
Performance: Good
Suit: trusty ol' blue speedo
Course: Point to point across a fairly shallow lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:47:30 | 11 miles | 13.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/29
Overall: 362/385
Wind: None
Course: Out, loop, and back down local roads. Some rolling slopes, but only one that I'd call a hill. Although I still loathe any semblance of an upslope.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:25 | 03 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/29
Overall: 247/385
Course: Out and back along local roads around the lake. Water station at 8/10 of a mile, and then at 2 2/10. There was a very helpful boy scout manning the turnaround cone who ran next to me for a bit shouting drill-seargent-like encouragement. I know he did this with others. Props to him, cause we needed that.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-01 2:34 PM

User image

Lawrence Township,
Subject: DQ Triathlon at Marlton Lakes

2007-09-01 3:42 PM
in reply to: #949717

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: DQ Triathlon at Marlton Lakes
Nice job today. Great swim and way to meet your goals. Fun little race.
2007-09-02 10:19 PM
in reply to: #949717

Sounds like you'll do even better when you replace the hybrid. Your report made me laugh, though, because I'd forgotten all about that boy scout at the turnaround! When I first saw him he was running alongside a guy just in front of me, thought it was his dad or something, then realized he was just enthusiastic because he started running by me...freaked me out a little.
2007-09-05 7:14 AM
in reply to: #950462

User image

Williamstown, NJ
I was by myself at the turn, and I was asking the boyscout if this was the turnaround... just to make sure, cuz I could've swore it was a little further last year, and they had a few people at the turn last year.... Then he asked me what time the race started... I told him 8:20.... he was like "Awww..maannnn.... it started late... and I gotta pee really bad!" he was pretty funny....
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » DQ Triathlon at Marlton Lakes Rss Feed