Ironhead Race Productions
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m
Overall Rank = 1/10
Age Group = F20-24
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:45 am...man was it hard to get going after drinking and partying the previous night. Felt better once I got going. While getting ready I realized that I did not bring a single band to pull my hair back. I looked through my mom's stuff, but couldn't find any. I stopped at a convenience store to get some oj and gatorade and looked for some there...nothing. I was desperate so I went to Wal-Mart. Well, all I had was my debit card so I didn't want to use it for 50 cents so I just started grabbing stuff. Then, I drove as fast as I could to the race site because I was scared that I would be there later than most of the other racers. However, I was relieved when I got there and realized that 90% of the cars there were volunteers and they didn't even have transition set up yet. So, I got my stuff ready, body-marked and then into transition.
Event warmup:

I jogged for about 10 minutes...went to the bathroom like 4 times. Talked with some of the other racers.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

I ran the first leg strong, yet comfortable. I tried to go my own pace and not worry about everyone else. I was the first girl on the run, but another girl came sprinting by me into transition. Ha ha, go ahead sprint into transition. I'll see you on the bike!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I went out at a good pace. I did not want to kill myself because we had a long way to go.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I felt like I was lollygagging around, but oh well.

I guess get a little more serious about it, but I think going slow helped to get my legs back from the run.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 15 kms
  • 0.00 km/hr
Comments:

Going out, I felt slow...only able to maintain 18-19 mph on a flat course. However, I guess the wind was stronger than I realized because on the way back I was doing 25 mph. I felt good on the bike and was able to pass people. I wasn't a fan of toe cages...can't wait to put my speedplay pedals back on, but it was nice not having to switch shoes back and forth so much, so it was good in the long run.

Nothing, I think I did all I could do, without overdoing it.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again, felt sluggish in the transition, but didn't care.

nothing
Run
  • 00m
  • 3 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

Run 2: I took this run slower, my calves cramped a little at the start of it, but quickly felt better. I decided I would stay calm and see where the other girls were at before I got nervous. To my delight the next girl was at least 7 minutes behind me. I knew I would gain that much more on the next bike ride.
Bike 2: This was a formula 1 race therefore, it was a run-bike-run-bike-run. Bike 2 started out a little tight, but my speed was pretty consistent with the first bike. It felt good, no problems.
Run 3: I jumped off the bike, racked, and started to run for the last time. OUCH!!! Oh, so that's why you use body glide. Apparently, all this running and biking had rubbed my legs raw. So I was running pretty bow-legged. Then, my calves kept trying to cramp. When I ran flat-footed they didn't hurt so I threw out running with good form and decided looking like a dork was better. I ran really slow, at least it felt that way...I told myself that I was taking a victory lap since there was no way the girls were going to catch me.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked to my mom and others, ate a banana, received my first ever overall female winner award.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training I guess.

Event comments:

This was the first annual for this race, so it was small in numbers, but it was great! I hope it continues to grow in the future. Ironhead Race Productions always does an excellent job with their races. There was excellent police protection at all of the turns. Thanks to all the volunteers who showed up...especially Chuck from the Knights of Columbus. He was blind, in a wheel chair, with an oxygen tank, but he held out water for all of us. It's people like him, that make this sport special. The weather couldn't have been more gorgeous. The wind was calm for west texas. I had a great time, of course, I did win the overall female division by over 10 minutes, so why wouldn't I have had fun. I will try to make this race an annual event.

Last updated: 2004-10-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 03 kms |  min/km
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 2/10
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back, flat course around the expo center.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:00:00 | 15 kms | 0.00 km/hr
Overall: 1/10
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: A narrow loop course, almost an out and back. Going out was into the wind, coming back, of course, was with the wind. Only one hill on the way back...not too bad though.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03 kms |  min/km
Overall: 1/10
Performance: Average
Course: Same as before
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-10-25 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: Frontier F-1 Duathlon

2004-10-25 12:06 PM
in reply to: #75874

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Frontier F-1 Duathlon
Looks like you had an excellent race! Congrats on the top finish.
2004-10-25 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl

Girl, you rock!  and all of that after a so-called night of drinking.  I haven't decided if I don't want to party with you or if I don't want to race with you!  Sounds like you could kick my butt in either!  Congrats on the overall! 

Lane

2004-10-25 2:18 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina

Congrats!! Wow, excellent race.  Good podium post!

Now, you have GOT to be crazy.....run,bike,run,bike,run.....that is just nuts! My legs would be like jello.

2004-10-25 4:34 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Congratulations on the awesome finish!

-Frank
2004-10-25 4:59 PM
in reply to: #75983

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Thanks for the compliments everyone. It was my first duathon, and with it being a formula one duathlon, it was that more challenging, but it was a blast. However, nothing compares to a triathlon!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Frontier F-1 Duathlon Rss Feed