Sunny
Total Time = 28m 30s
Overall Rank = 118/255
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 5/12
Pre-race routine:

Ate a Luna bar.
Event warmup:

Stretched, did a short run with Jeff, then a shorter faster run with my parents. We hung out around there for a good hour before the race started, sporatically stretching.
Run
  • 28m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't really feeling up for this run beforehand. I've been very light on the training now that I'm back in school, and I went into this feeling generally unmotivated. However, I ran a nice steady first mile, passing a whole bunch of people, and things improved. I was actually surprised when I reached the first mile marker, which is a good thing. I really worked the second (downhill) mile and it turned out a minute faster than the first. I think I slacked off the end, but I'll chalk that up to my poor training regimen.
What would you do differently?:

I'd try and pick up the pace better at the end. I walked at both mile markers, which is fine, but I walked another two times during the last mile, which isn't really acceptable. Especially when I knew how close I was. I need to work on keeping myself mentally in it during that last segment.
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered around for a while, then drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor training lately. I need to figure out how to fit this in around all the reading I need to do.

Event comments:

This was a good race. They had a lot of activities afterward, especially for kids. I wasn't so keen on the food selection - there was a little fruit for the runners afterward, but the bagels had gone before the race even started. And afterward they had sandwiches, pizza and hot dogs, which my stomach was not interested in. But I believe the race wasn't the only thing going on, so that might explain it. Other than that, it was run well.

Last updated: 2007-09-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:30 | 03.11 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 118/255
Performance: Good
Course: Started in Darlington Park, out onto the roads and back. The first mile or so was uphill, mostly gradually, although a steeper bit at the end. That meant that the second mile was mostly a really nice downgrade. The very end of the race, once we were back in the park, was on a springy trail through the trees.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes