General Discussion Race Reports! » Carpinteria Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Carpinteria Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carpinteria, California
United States
Carpinteria Triathlon
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 15m 43s
Overall Rank = 262/304
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 27/30
Pre-race routine:

Got there the night before , checked in and toured the small expo.
Had some Italian food on Linden.
Got to TRansition area at 6:15am , took an end rack spot .
Event warmup:

Got wet suit on and into the water . Surprise the water was nice and warm.
Swam out for 10 mins while the national anthem was being sung and came in after wave 1 ran into the water .
Swim
  • 40m 33s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 42s / 100 meters
Comments:

My objective was to get through the swim and have a better experience than at Ventura .
I walked into the water at the back of the field and stayed to the left of the crowd. Then got into my groove after 10-15 mins and stayed away from the traffic . Then I think my pace sped up as i would take 20 strokes before sighting. This worked for the middle section of the course past the far buoy . On the way back we had favorable current to help so it was 3-4 mins faster . Sighting was a bit difficult with the sun just above the horizon. I finished with a jog up on the sand and ready to ride.

What would you do differently?:

Swim the course a few times , try it breastroke without the wetsuit and see if my time is any better.
Transition 1
  • 03m 48s
Comments:

I was a little tired from the swim and it took 10 mins to find my wind and legs on the bike. I had experienced this in my two tri earlier this month so i knew it would go away after 7-10 mins.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 5s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Knew the course from riding most of it in practice , and driving it the day before .
I knew i had to respect the hills and save some energy to climb Toro canyon and the second shorter climb without having to get off the bike and walk . Every time free speed was available on the numerous downhills I rested . This is where I past a few people. I was pretty cooked after the two climbs and the hard work on the first part of the circuit . 3-4 areas started to ache : Lower back , inner tights , neck. Not a lot but enough to signal some fatigue. The last flat road back to T2 I could not sustain my earlier 22-24 mph pace. I Tought also there was a head wind which explains why it was a little difficult to hit a good pace

well more hill work would not hurt , the climbs here are harder than at LA or Malibu . I was down to 3 mph in the second part of Toro Canyon. But then I enjoyed 38 + mph on the downhills
Transition 2
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

Good transition
Unclipped before the line and rode side saddle for 30 yards right into a run in the shoes
I am getting good at this
Run
  • 1h 04m 12s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran the course at 110% . First mile was looking for a "bathroom"
Found some suitable bushes near our hotel before Mile 1
Used two cups at each water stop mostly on my head .
Took a gel at turnaround . Developped a slight headache at after mile 4.

Post race
Warm down:

Sat down , drank water and found some food to munch on

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I really enjoyed this race . It is held in a very pretty seaside town. It was a Successful Olympic for me. I prepared as best i could given the little free time available to me over the last 6 months.
I made sure to schedule a couple of Tune up races before hand.

Event comments:

Nice race and medium size field . I am looking forward to coming back in better shape and improving my time.

Last updated: 2007-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:33 | 1500 meters | 02m 42s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/304
Performance: Average
HR 133 average
Suit: yes
Course: L shape like LA tri but with a smaller field it was not a problem. Bright buoys at either end of the course
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:48
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:24:05 | 24.85 miles | 17.73 mile/hr
Performance: Good
120-160 HR with rolling terrain
Wind: Some
Course: Very pretty Santa Barbara county Rolling countryside terrain with 2 good climbs in the second half of the course. We had driven the course the night before so it was easy to follow and make the turns during the race. All the tricky parts had volunteers warning us of tight turns and the like . A few CHP units gave cyclists priority at all the major intersections .
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:04:12 | 06.21 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Hr at 155 most of the way.
Course: Through Carpinteria with a nice residential loop with a slight hill and then east into some lovely hard packed level trails over the Pacific . Turn around Return on same path without the residential loop . The turnaround is past the halfway mark. And higher than the finish so it was a very soft downhill al the way to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %-2%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-03 12:26 AM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Subject: Carpinteria Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2007-10-03 10:58 AM
in reply to: #988996

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Carpinteria Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Great job out there Paul

It sounds like you went into this thing very prepared. (Toro Canyon was not a Surprise)

Your time splits suggest that you paced really well through the race and I bet you enjoyed passing a lot of folks through the day. (Especially on the back portion of the run)

Glad to see you did not get stopped at any of the train crossings. (I never have)

This was my first Triathlon I ever did (4 Years ago) and I plan on being back next year. I really think this is one of the best Olympic Triathlons around.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Cheers

2007-10-03 1:09 PM

New user

Sounds like you enjoyed the race and did well. Nice work. Congrats!
2007-10-03 7:32 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
sounds like a great race.  the bike leg must be a real b*tch with breathtaking views to keep you from realizing how hard you're really working (hah, the legs tell the REAL story)
2007-10-08 10:21 PM
in reply to: #990679

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
zipp1 - 2007-10-03 5:32 PM

sounds like a great race. the bike leg must be a real b*tch with breathtaking views to keep you from realizing how hard you're really working (hah, the legs tell the REAL story)

The bike leg was actually a lot of fun . Partly in that i was riding a new course . I had not died during the swim and I was playing tag with a lot of racers. especially in the first half which we shared with the sprint.
Toro Canyon and Ortega Ridge were pretty tough but i managed to grind my way up both in the saddle .
The run went really well . Best thing is I have dropped 5 lbs since .
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carpinteria Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed