General Discussion Triathlon Talk » marathon training plans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-06 6:12 AM

Regular
Subject: marathon training plans
Has anyone used Jeff Galloways training plans to run a marathon? How was it? A solid plan? any suggestions for a plan?

Thanks

2007-10-06 7:31 AM
in reply to: #994542

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: marathon training plans

Galloway's plans don't train you to run a marathon, but rather to complete a marathon using his run with walk breaks method. While a lot of people use the walk-break method, I haven't heard of many people who follow his plan completely, specifically in that even his "to finish" plan calls for a long run-walk of 26 miles (29 miles in his "time-goal" plan).

There are dozens of well-used plans out there; the appropriate training program depends on your background and goals. Thousands use plans by Hal Higdon for simplicity,  Pfitzinger-Douglas for effectiveness, and/or FIRST plans for the three-runs-per-week schedule.

2007-10-06 1:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Oceanside
I come from a hate-running background so my tri's were limitied in what I could do with the run. So, I decided to focus on my running ability until I start training for my next tri in March. I have been using Jeff's 1/2 marathon training plan for an upcoming 20km. I was short on time so I adapted his plan to the amound of time I had left to train. My mistake was that I was cutting out the short long runs every other week. I run 45 mins Tues and Thurs and then have my long runs on Saturday. Was doing fine until I hit the 10 mile mark which I have had to repeat for a couple of weekends to get comfortable. Anyway, I have made some mistakes following this plan. What I like about it is that you run three times a week where some of the other plans have you running more. I need a day to recover between runs. What I do worry about is if I'm logging enough miles in to train properly. I run 4 miles (in the suggested 30-45 minutes on Tues and Thurs) and then whatever my long run is for the weekend. Also, if you notice on his website, he bumps the long run distance 1.5 miles every other week. This can be more than the 10% rule especially if you alternate a long run and a short long run, say four to five miles. But this plan is for run/walking so maybe that's ok to skip the 10% rule. I don't walk (very often) when I'm running and this could be why I had a problem getting past the 10 mile mark. I just found out I got a lottery spot for the Tokyo marathon so this will be my first marathon. I went back to Jeff's website and looked at the training plan. His plan for "to finish" would have me running 30 mins twice a week and then long runs. The longest run is 26 miles. Most other plans I have heard of don't have you running the full distance. So, I may investigate other plans that hast a three day training schedule but with some other changes I don't like about Jeff's "finish" plan. Anyway, hope my thoughts help you with your question a little bit. - Kelly
2007-10-06 2:38 PM
in reply to: #994557

User image

Melon Presser
the bear - 2007-10-06 8:31 AM

There are dozens of well-used plans out there; the appropriate training program depends on your background and goals. Thousands use plans by Hal Higdon for simplicity, Pfitzinger-Douglas for effectiveness, and/or FIRST plans for the three-runs-per-week schedule.

Affirmative. A lot of them you can even get free off of Runnersworld.com.

Galloway's plans don't train you to run a marathon, but rather to complete a marathon using his run with walk breaks method. While a lot of people use the walk-break method, I haven't heard of many people who follow his plan completely, specifically in that even his "to finish" plan calls for a long run-walk of 26 miles (29 miles in his "time-goal" plan).

I personally know a few hundred people who have followed his plan completely. Most charity marathon programs use the Galloway run-walk method. I agree it is a difficult plan to do on your own, since very few people have the discipline to do the 26-miler as slowly, and with as high a run-walk ratio, as is recommended without peer pressure and consistent advice from a coach.

Galloway claims that about 200,000 people have used his program to finish a marathon, and that sounds about right (even coming from him) if you add up all the programs that use his method and the number of years they've been in operation.

Come to think of it, it's hard to do any marathon program on your own. There is probably a marathon training group in your area, and most of them will have a pace group or two for beginning and/or slower runners.

My personal .02 on Galloway (and I've memorized his book and attended his seminar and done marathons on his program--and not):

+ run-walk makes it really easy to rack up miles (whereas running straight, even cautiously building, for me, gets tough around 7-8 miles ... I see a lot of other first-timers hit difficulties around 9-10)

+ run recovery from long runs and the marathon is very fast--a day or two at most 

+ injuries are very rare

- I'm not sure the 26-miler is a great idea--it can be good for first timers who are running with a well-coached group, it really builds confidence and ensures you won't hit a wall during the marathon--but I haven't heard better reasons from Jeff for it

- In his book, he advocates minimal stretching, and ideally only at the end of a day; during the seminar, he spoke out much more strongly against it: "You are absolved of ALL STRETCHING DUTY!" (I even asked again, just to make sure). I know there's a lot of pro/con, but I think it's a little extreme to throw it out altogether.

Good luck, Tanya, and I hope you find something that works for you!

2007-10-06 2:46 PM

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona
Hal Higdon has some good marathon training plans. I'm currently following his 1/2 marathon plan and my wife used his full marathon plan to run the San Diego RnR marathon. The most you run is 20 miles I think two weeks before the actual race.
2007-10-06 7:58 PM
in reply to: #994794

User image

Veteran
Waukesha, WI
Mirg - 2007-10-06 2:46 PM

Hal Higdon has some good marathon training plans.

+1 I used his novice marathon plan for my first (Chicago) and ran it sub-5:00 (better than I dreamed).

2007-10-06 8:07 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

so happy to see this thread - i'm going to run next year's nyc marathon (my first!) and i'm contemplating using hal higdon's plan 

i followed it for my first half marathon this past march

2007-10-07 12:03 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Schmize has been following some Galloway concepts mixed with Higdon's training plan and its worked out pretty well.  I've just finished Higdon's Adv II plan.  I loved it.  I don't think following Galloway automatically means you will have a "slow" marathon.  Until the heat thing cropped up for tomorrow's race (it's race night and I can't sleep so I'm here) and waylaid our time goals we were shooting for a 3:30 finish.  Even if we didn't make it I'm pretty sure Schmize was going to come in by 3:45 following the run/walk method.  I don't consider that slow, but maybe some people do.
2007-10-07 10:41 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
My boss has run four marathons (that I know of) and she loves training with the Galloway method. I think she does 8/2 run/walk, and the only time she had a slow finish (according to her) was in some serious heat at San Diego. She liked going in with the confidence that she had already trained for almost the whole distance. Also, as a small business owner, she was appreciative of the shorter training time during the week. She only had to take off one half day for training, and with some of the other plans she wouldn't have been able to do that.

Myself, I'm training for my first with the Hal Higdon Novice plan. I run a mile walk a minute, and so far it is working out pretty well for me. I thought about trying Galloway, but was nervous about running 26 miles before the race. I don't really trust myself to go as slowly as I should during training, so I'm more comfortable with topping out at a 20 miler.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » marathon training plans Rss Feed