General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sciatic Nerve Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-08 12:17 PM

User image

Portland, OR
Subject: Sciatic Nerve
This is a plea for help....two years ago I cracked a disc in my lower back (snowboarding) (I know), since then my sciatic nerve will get pinched some time and it is so bad I can barely get out of bed. The only reason I am at work today is bc my boyfriend drove me here and proped me in my chair. Part of me thinks I should go to my doctor, just to be sure I didn't do anything serious. But everytime I go to him he says heat/ice and to lay low for two weeks.

What do you guys think?

2007-10-08 1:02 PM
in reply to: #996659

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Sciatic Nerve

GO TO THE DOCS.

I went throught the whole ice/ heat/ rest/ PT/ pain killers/ muscle relaxers/ more PT, blah, blah blah for 2 years.

Finally had them do an MRI and was in surgery a month later.

It is probably insurance companies that drag out the conservetive treatments for so long. After surgery I am a new person! That said, surgery is not for everyone and not everyone has the results I did. But they do A LOT of these types of procedures any more and they are getting pretty darn good. I WALKED out of the hospital 3 hours post-op.

2007-10-08 1:34 PM

User image

Portland, OR
I am so glad to hear that there is hope....but the idea of back surgery scares the **** out of me. I think that may be another reason I am debating the doctor, I don't want a shot in my back or surgery. How risky is it?
2007-10-08 3:09 PM

User image

Master

My herniation was so bad my nuero surgeon did not even really consider epideral cortisone injections. On any given day I could not stand up, and when I did it was never really up straight.

it is surgey, on the back. It certainly has potential for a really bad outcome. Have they done an MRI? Has surgery been discussed? A microdiscectomy is a very common procedure. Hopefully that is where you are at. The more complex it gets, the more the risks.

Go to your family doctor, all but demand an MRI. Xrays mean nothing here. Then, and only then, in my opinion can anyone offer you real options.

Since my back surgery I have done 1 oly, a marathon and a half ironman and am 8 months away from my first Ironman in Coeur d' Alene.

Yes, there is hope.

2007-10-10 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

ditto on the two years of non-invasive or semi-invasive (epidural steroid injectios) before making one of the best decisions of my life and going for the back surgery.

You won't know what's best until you speak with a nuerologist and/or an orthopedic surgeon.

See these semi-recent thread for more insights:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=84955&posts=5&highlight=back%20surgery%20L4&highlightmode=1#M908695

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=59245&posts=9&highlight=back%20surgery%20L4&highlightmode=1#M602927

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=70510&posts=22&highlight=back%20surgery%20L4&highlightmode=1#M743796

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=79628&posts=14&highlight=back%20surgery%20L4&highlightmode=1#M886922

2007-10-10 3:01 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
On average, studies have shown that after 5 years the level of pain and function is nearly identical for surgery vs. non-surgery for herniated disks.

I'm not going to take the time to lookup and paste the references here, but trust me, I'm a doctor, I know that much to be true.

But as an individual, that means nothing. Whjat is important is the pain & function in the intervening 5 years.

Surgeries can go horribly wrong with bleeding, infections, injury to a nerve, etc.

But when your entire leg is weak and you can't walk...not even because of pain, but because the muscles have stopped workign...then surgery is a good option as it was in my case.

I had one of the worst and most bizarre herinations and nerve injuries that my orthopedic surgeon had ever seen, I woke up from anesthesia pain free and the fuction has returend to my rigth hamstring & calf, adn I've done tris & bike races for the past 3 years.

Everyone's case is different and you need to get a 2nd opinion of your not satisfied with ice/heat/rest 2 weeks.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sciatic Nerve Rss Feed