General Discussion Race Reports! » Bassman Fall Half Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

Bassman Fall Half Distance Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bass State Forest, New Jersey
United States
Citytri
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 06m 9s
Overall Rank = 124/147
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Warning very long...first and only HIM before my first IM trying to recall as much as possible to learn from. Yes there is a lot of talk about hydration both in and out as that is part of long course racing...sorry folks..but reality for me.

It has been an incredibly weird year with ongoing recurrent run injuries, bike crash in June with a seperated shoulder and the uncertainty of knowing if I could swim and how far and if I could even do a HIM plus my shoulder was acting up 2.5 weeks before the race; the boys starting college, lots of stress in my life which isn't ideal frame of mind to race in.

I had signed up to do Nutmeg HIM lastNovember, but after they changed the bike course 4 week before the race to an incredibly difficult course (5700 feet of climbing in 57 miles), checking it out I felt it wasn't a good choice for a first HIM. I did train specifically for that race including doing race like hill intervals in order to prepare. Just 2 weeks before that race I opted to do Bassman which was two weeks later. Did this effect my peaking? my build?

Saturday:
Drove to race site Saturday and arrived as the RD was giving talk. Caught most of it..perfect timing. Did a short swim; skipped drive of bike course..flat with 2 turns...figured I could wing it; got to the hotel about 6; Kevin went out and got me a whole wheat turkey breast sandwich. Ate bigger breakfast ww blueberry pancakes w/Canadian Bacon, nice lunch of lamb kebabs and veggies and pita pockets, snacked on good carbs; went easy for dinner.

Slept poorly as we were near Atlantic City and most folks at our hotel were there to party/play. Their doors kept slamming until 3am and we got up at 4:45. I slept maybe 3 hours not one time longer than 90 minutes. Forced down my breakfast goal 500 calories before race..ww blueberry pancakes warmed in micro with Canadian bacon...not tastey; got packed up girls up and off to race site; ate 1/2 of cliff bar and in last hour before race about 20 oz GE..made just over 500 calories.

The goal of the race was to execute my race plan in regards to nutrition/hydration and the mental aspect of racing which in the past has been my down fall. Over last two seasons I've worked hard on being strong mentally while racing which means racing without gadgets and being in the moment as I can only control what I'm doing right now.

This was my mantra for the day:

I'm lucky to be able to line up and race.....may I have a good mental race...judge free, moment focused, grateful to be here, enjoy every moment.... really it is being like a kid...race to have fun....may that be me today.

Event warmup:

Arrived to find a parking spot around 6am and it was pitch dark. Hard to load bike up with food/drink for 3 hours in the dark. Pumping up tires in dark last time at St. Anthony's I wrecked my tire valve. The on thing on my long list I forgot to bring was a flashlight. I had wanted to ride my bike a little as I had adjusted the brakes and wanted to make sure they were right..couldn't.

Body marking was a big moment for me...they check my number and ask me which race I'm doing. Half...wow I'm really doing a Half...big step...I get a H on my left calf. Stepping up to longer races is a big deal for this middle aged Mom of 5.

Setting up transition in the dark with the sun coming up was challenging too. Spring/Fall tris remember to bring headlamp or flashlight.

Went to the bathrooms..real ones...and no line...sweet! Found Allison (oceanannie) who introduced me to lots of folks from her tri club and Rob (
rmaldon240). She had been so sweet and encouraging to me without ever meeting me...and did a 18 mile race later in the morning. It is the amazing BT connection we have so special. It made the pre race wait so nice and to meet a few folks who I hoped to see out on the course was nice. I was good mentally here ready to race not wacky or overly nervous...just ready to get started. Timing was great as I didn't have to stand around to much.

Long race, so did none...got in the water to fill up my wetsuit with water, pull it up more in my thighs and of course pee.
Swim
  • 56m 7s
  • 2110 yards
  • 02m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

I set my expectations low for the swim; my bike crash and seperated shoulder effected how much swim training I could do with just starting swimming mid-July and about 2 weeks ago my shoulder acted up again so I was on maintance hoping to get to the starting line healthy enough to swim.

I had swam about 15' in the pond the day before and felt like I was swimming in something in a Steven King novel. It was like it had been a forest but now was a pond with all these tree stumps stripped of bark that were maybe 2-3' tall and this long fine seaweed growing..it was creepy. Turns out I swam the course wrong so the real course we skipped the submerged forest for the most part.

As per my normal routine, I dance around wave at the crowd and be silly at the swim start. Everyone is facing the buoys ready to go but me I'm turned around waving like crazy at my family. The start and off I walk..it was shallow so I walked a bit then swam to the gate in the middle of the lake.I was pretty thrilled in that I was still with the pack at the first gate...go to the far side..around the buoy..then the buoy by the damn and see a women backstroking who is swimming faster than I am...hmmm...make to the far side buoy and start talking to the women. We talked the next lap around the pond..it was great fun. Every time it was shallow we'd both walk...we introduced ourselves...Ginny was her name...she was having anxiety issues. I see the swim start and turn around..wow that was pretty fun for loop 1. Wave at my family see Kevin and Libby ...and wave some more...finish get around start line and go back out..now Ginny and I are close and chatting. She says I hope we ride together on the bike.

Another highlight was I caught a guy from the wave ahead of me...cool:) Keep swimming...felt really good but could tell I was fatiguing and what form I have was getting a bit sloppy...at dam caught another guy...whoop whoop!!

Remembered to keep trying to pee while swimming..empty bladder is good for long bike with no bathrooms..was sucessful.

Just kept going...got to the finish feeling darn good for me. I was afraid I'd be last out of the water and I wasn't....about 7 folks behind me.

My sighting was good and only twice did I find I was going off course..fastest way to swim is a straight line.

I was pleased that I felt pretty good and could have gone further....I enjoyed the swim the most of the whole race; seem strange but swimming doesn't hurt like biking/running does. When I have set such low expectations other than to finish it is easy to achieve the goal. I think I need to start doing very low expectations for the bike/run portion of tris.

Check how I did on the mantra for the day:
judge free-yep, moment focused-yep, grateful to be here-very much here on the swim, enjoy every moment.... really it is being like a kid...race to have fun-it was great fun...I did feel like a kid out there

What would you do differently?:

Keep working on swim technique which is going to net me the most time. I give away so much time on the swim but am dedicated to working on improving this.

See 2 hour IM swim is really possible...but with hard work on off season goal 1:45 or better.
Transition 1
  • 04m 43s
Comments:

Long way from swim exit to run on soft beach heading back to transition hear my family, Alison and Rob cheering for me...so cool...slowed down and walked some on the soft beach no reason to get HR way up for barely any gain. Ran to far end of transition area then most of the way up to my rack towards the front. Wetsuit off, dried feet off some, threw my wetsuit and swim stuff by border, loaded extra stuff in pocket of jersey, wicking hat, helmet glasses on, gloves on...took bike off rack and it tipped losing 50% of water in aero bottle. I knew we didn't get water until mile 29...crap that isn't enough..so took my handheld water thing for run and used it to fill up aerobottle....it turned out that was a wise adjustment.

Ran slowly out of T1 saw my family again mounted my K Factor and was off.

I was slower than my normal kick butt transitions but honestly it was more important to me to remember everything as they didn't have aid stations that could help me if I needed something.
Bike
  • 3h 18m 51s
  • 58 miles
  • 17.50 mile/hr
Comments:

I started passing folks right away and then it got lonely. With a field of only 147 out of 175 that registered being a slow swimming in the last wave of women; meant I was strung out quite a bit behind folks. I pushed a little to hard first few miles realized it and worked to keep my HR below 150. Strange thing today was my average cadence was really high to start. I couldn't find a gear that felt comfortable riding in my golden 97 RPMs. I think that this hurt me...I was using a different cassette on my Zipps as it was a flat course than my normal cassette. The other thing lately that has me puzzled is my riding has seemed flat and that I've actually gotten worse last 4-6 weeks. I had hoped it was just weird whatever...turns out in the race I was slower than I thought I should be given my earlier season training but not that far different than how I have been riding.

First lap weather felt good...not humid..not hot...just comfortable. At mile 10 marker I was at 28:30 which is over 20 mph...I was like what? surprised but at mile 15 I was averaging 17ish just doing quick math in my head. I had my power tap set to power, cadence and HR so I never know my speed or time. I race by feel..with guidelines on my power and HR. It helps me keep judgment free and allows me to have the best race experience and actually do my best

I felt on the bike I was just hydration/nutrition machine..in come the GE and water and then I have to pee some more. There really was no place to stop easily and pee off to the side so I knew I had to pee on my bike and didn't want to nail my water bottles I had yet to drink from; waited until I finished first GE and swamped out the one from my down tube so I was free to go. It takes way to much energy to try and go. I may need more practice. It would be a small little bit. It wasn't until I came into park to do the turn around I had success..right before water stop..those kids came over as I stopped as I needed 2 water bottles and they took off empties and gave me full ones..I'm thinking ahh...you better be careful as I had just peed like 30 seconds before. I had run out of water in aerobottle about 5 miles from turn around very glad I filled it up with my run water.

My family was in primo spot yelling like crazy for me....sweet:)

On the course besides those working the race there were only two groups of folks cheering..more being lonely.

Second loop I passed one women who passed me while I stopped for water quickly and then one other person. Then no one until the dipper circle part. This one guy I passed wanted to chat, but I went by him to quickly and really needed to pee again. I kept trying to find some place but realized the spot I picked was someones front yard yes rustic but didn't think dropping my tri shorts in their front yard would go over well. So I stopped at an abandoned house no real place to hide so I did my best. The guy passed me asking if I was okay. I caught up with him and decided to ride next to him and chat for a bit. He was lonely and was worried he was last. There were 20-30 folks behind us but we were strung out. I encouraged him and asked about him..he was a runner so I said see you on the run and off I went. Second loop seemed going out there was a headwind but going back seemed like there was one too. Not sure how that could be possible.

I thanked all the volunteers and cops at each intersection and most didn't even acknowledge me.

Ride was uneventful and a bit boring. No one passed me except the leaders who were finishing their second lap while I was doing my first lap. One women from Allision's tri team and I passed each other a few times but in the end I dropped her.

My power was off..normal long rides my NP is in the 150's but most include hills which push NP up. I'm using a different PT computer but really think I've lost some power on the bike last 4-5 weeks.

Ended up 20/37 of women on bike..pretty MOP.

Entire workout (130 watts):
Duration: 3:17:48 (3:19:15)
Work: 1539 kJ
TSS: 162.6 (intensity factor 0.704)
Norm Power: 136
VI: 1.04
Distance: 57.473 mi
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 441 130 watts
Heart rate: 81 154 133 bpm
Cadence: 34 131 98 rpm
Speed: 0 27.3 17.5 mph
Pace 2:12 0:00 3:26 min/mi
Hub Torque: 0 272 50 lb-in
Crank Torque: 0 652 112 lb-in

Loop 1: 1:37:04, NP 141, avg HR 136
Loop 2: 1:39:52, NP 130, avg HR 130
Loop 2 was warmer/humid and more head wind; drop off in power wasn't good pacing though

Nutrition/hydration:
39 oz/hour
927 mg sodium/hour
319 cal/hour
2.75 bottles GE, 2.25 water; 3 Gels, 3 Werthers, 5 shot bloks, sugar babies, 1 chocolate pretzel; did 30-50 cal per 20' every 3rd Gel..started with gel instead of at 3rd as I swam first
Peed like 5 times on the bike only once good; one stop at side of road

judge free:pretty good but could tell I was slower than I had hoped, moment focused:did well most of the time but long time alone to be out there, grateful to be here:was happy I could race with all these amazing athletes , enjoy every moment: enjoyed it mostly. On the whole the biking was neutral in that I just did it executed my plan and didn't really think all that much...it wasn't emotional like swim/run were

Not sure....but my cycling is in a down cycle right now. I did a 50 mile ride in FL and averaged 19 mph in April..this was flat all but 5 miles like Fl. Have my Zipps...strange why I was so slow..sure I had to swim 1.2 miles and run 13.1 so that may have influenced my pacing. Last year I did a relay HIM and averaged 18 on a more difficult course; avged 20 at St. Anthony's this year early in season on flat course. No doubt that something is off on my cycling.

My coach Will thinks that my increased running last 6-7 weeks before HIM just left me fatigued. I really ramped up my running quickly to get up to distance & ready for HIM. His other thought is I fatigue easy and need more recovery time in a general sense. Plus funky year I had it was about getting as ready as I could be not ideal build for HIM.

As I see myself mostly a biker triathlete it is hardest for me to be okay with a sub bike performance. Last week I suspect that would be the case so I'm working hard on being okay with this. I get nothing for being faster. I do this for fun I did my best on that day so need to be pleased with it.

I have lots of room for improvement.
Transition 2
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

Hear Kevin, Emily, Shasha and Libby cheering me...awesome!

Again key for me was not to forget anything. I emptied my tri top pocket of all the trash I had; loaded up with gels/lava salts, dried feet and put on socks & shoes. Took HRM, hat, empty handheld water holder, and off I went...hoping to find a water station soon to get some water.

Happy how it went...got it all only forgot to take HRM strap for PM off which makes me more comfortable.
Run
  • 2h 43m 36s
  • 13.15 miles
  • 12m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Start of run I was cheered by my family as I came out of T2 and right away was looking for a water stop..told one up ahead. Another guy and I came out of transition together. Both of us ran a bit and walked..both of us craving water. He kept asking folks were the water stop was..just ahead we heard over and over..not until just before mile 1.Since I had used my run water to refill my bike aerobottle I had none to start but it was the right choice.

I knew the first 15-20 minutes would be tough; when I get in the rhythm I feel better. Get to water stop fill up and add nuuns got to mile 1 cool.

Run was much more emotional and difficult for me than either swim or bike.

Volunteers on run course were kids from Brooklyn..NYC...only one at each aid station..they had no clue about tris and weren't very helpful. Those directing us some were lying on the ground barely acknowledging us. We didn't really trust they knew what they were doing...it was odd. At aid stations it was help yourself but they wouldn't tell you what was there. Folks told my kids you should go work as a volunteer as you have more energy.Reality is no one volunteered so they got who they could...better to have kids than having to cancel the race.

Run I felt good from mile 2-9, then it got a bit harder just more fatigue in my quads and lower back area until about mile 12 & 13 when it was tough. I did my run/walk thing..normal is 5' running 30-45" walking; today I probably walked more frequently but for shorter times. When I'd start to walk I'd pick a place ahead of me a tree, telephone pole or something that I'd start running again no negotiation as I didn't want to extend my walking to long as it was lots easier.

Many thoughts went through my head while running....all the BT friends pulling for me from across the country and a special BTer in Iraq
(TexasMPGal)who prayed for me while doing her 10 miler army race..got me choked up as why am I so lucky to have folks support me...gratitude here.

Thought about how my life has changed and how fortunate I am that I can do this; how hard this was...swim/bike weren't hard. This hurt, it was hot, it was humid which are two weather conditions I don't really like or bring out my best performance. I saw most everyone was struggling a bit felt fortunate to be with these athletes..I'm one to now.

I see my family again at mile 5, and again at mile 8 and 13..they picked great spot on a hill to encourage everyone. Seeing them always made me weepy.

As I was doing the end of first loop at mile 5; I heard cowbells; and thought it may be my family so I yelled loudly through the woods.."Is that my daughters" quick as a wink Shasha comes running down the path in her perky self and goes crazy. I feel like the luckiest Mom as all three girls yell, ring their BT cowbells and a couple run along side of me. Kevin says something like next time you'll be a HIM. Emotions go crazy but motivation to keep going.

The whole run I tried to say something to everyone I passed and there were lots of out and backs even with few folks I saw a lot of people at certain places. I needed all the encouragement I could get. One guys stood out with his super comment. Most folks didn't say anything unless I initiated it.

One guy I said "you having fun"..his response fun? I said fun in a painful sort of way and he laughed.

Saw Rob and high 5ed him...very fun. Wish more BTers were racing as getting BT love keeps me motivated at races during the run when I need it most.

When I got to mile 10 I got emotional and overwhelmed with what I was about to finish. I had thought I could do it but doing it and experiencing is different. I have done so much in my life to turn it around I was full of
emotions...started to cry and then wheeze...but it was good.

My daughters were waiting for me just before mile 13 and I knew it...called out for them and Shasha ran up to me and encouraged me and ran beside me and we caught up to Emily. It was so cool to have them there for me...we walked up the hill, Em says someones going to catch you Mom so we started running and they ran around the sides and Libby came up and ran with me. They were just started giving out awards so they said here is a runner coming in and everyone cheered..it was really cool.. I was so glad to be able to stop moving..hurt everywhere..overwhelmed that I did it, a little sad when I saw my time as I had thought I'd easily go sub 7. Time doesn't really matter though...took some time to adjust to how I did.

Mile 1: 10:39 includes getting water adding nuuns
Mile 2: 12:25
Mile 3-5: 35:20 includes water bottle fill and bathroom stop=11:40
Mile 6: 12:53
Mile 7/8: 22:43= 11:22; includes getting water bottle filled
Mile 9: 13:04
Mile 10: 12:42
Mile 11: 4:24/1:42 bathroom/9:08= 13:32 run time/cried/emotional
Mile 12: 11:53
Mile 13: 13:59
Last .2 mile: 2:38
Mile markers weren't necessarily accurate

I want to be a better runner and not get so fatigued so easily in races. I'm not even sure that is possible. Just once I'd like to surprise myself running faster than I thought I could. It has never happened. I'm always so much slower than my regular easy aerobic running. What will it take for me to get better at this? Is it possible? I'm determined to make it so.

After I finished my oldest two daughters went back on the course to cheer folks on as they promised they'd be there for them next lap...where they were two laps of out and backs. They'd have ongoing conversations with folks multiple times. Turns out the last two women Emily & Shasha ran in with one was Ginny the one I had a blast swimming with. I know from struggling having a kind word or support when you don't expect it can be a huge thing...I'm so proud of my daughters as they were out there cheering and encouraging everyone.

Nutrition/hydration:
44 oz/hour
1118 mg sodium/hour
130 cal/hour
4 gels & 5 water bottles with nuuns...did every 30' gel, Lava salt and goal to have finished water bottle..I think I may have drank 6 but not always did I fill all the way up given weird water stops. 2 bathroom stops. Headache later in day...sign of some degree of dehydration..and more yellow urine post race..race it was nice and light.

judge free-yep, moment focused-yep except one time thinking how the heck when this is so hard and hurts to much can I do an IMLP..who am I kidding, grateful to be here-big time, enjoy every moment: well I enjoyed it as much as I could in a painful tough way.

I need to develop into stronger runner. I just get fatigued and then slow way down. I was injured more than half the year which hampered my run training so just to do this and be able to run most of the way is awesome (but still a bit sad that I was as slow as I was)

Weather was against me as it was hot and humid; normal high for the day is 69 not 82 and humid.
Post race
Warm down:

Kept walking; drank recovery drink & had yogurt; talked with my family who were so supportive and kind; I was so tired and sore I couldn't touch the ground to pick up anything; ate some food; realized I came in 2nd but they had already given out Athena award before I finished so that was a bit weird as my finishing time was never posted. I ended up 3rd in my AG..kind of nice to be old....28/36 of the women and I was the 5th oldest women.

Bike placement 114 & run 117...interesting pretty close; I think it was a hard day for lots of folks on the run.

Another BTer who did Bassman HIM pointed out high for day was 90-92 not 80 ..explains a lot as I don't do my best in heat/humidity. I looked at average times for swim 41:55, run 2:17; just for kicks I compared that to Patriot a HIM here in MA avg swim time 34:25, run 2:05. I thought the swim was long...but what do I know; run times were slow as it was hot/humid....Patriot weather was perfect.

My husband Kevin was so kind to me all weekend; trying hard to do what was best for me and keeping kids happy and allowing me to be totally focused on the race. He planned the hotels, made sure everything went smoothly, carried endless stuff here and there and was a huge support for me..really made it so much better for me to feel loved and cared for.

Looking ahead I see I need a lot of work to get ready for an IM. Honestly doing this scares me a bit for next July. I know I only trained for a HIM but man it was difficult. IM is going to be much more difficult...what have I gotten myself into? I need to trust my coach and his wisdom to prepare me to be ready.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Strange thing is I felt I was well prepared for this race; that I had trained smart given my bike crash and worked for last month towards doing a HIM; racing today I didn't feel prepared in certain ways...nutrition was perfect but my body just fatigued earlier than I expected and didn't hold up well. Goal in long course stuff to keep fatigue at bay. The bike ride my legs hurt even though I wasn't going hard/fast for me. I'm not sure if it was an off day or what.

Limited my ability to perform..age, weight, heat/humidity.

I wrote this in my blog today.....

As memory of my time fades, one thing about how I handled myself remains, what my kids observed about me; I'm their role model; how I handle doing something hard they'll remember, how I raced as they watched me struggle and how each time they saw me I was struggling a bit more and went on to finish; how I dealt with the disappointment of a slower time they'll remember; as these are real life lessons...time really is irrelevant. I did my best and I need to be proud of that. Yesterday I wasn't such a good role model for my girls; today I will strive to do better.

I look back to me in 2003, I was lazy, weighed over 250 pounds and was not such a good role model for my kids as to health/fitness. Somehow I was lucky to find a way to lose weight; preserve at it when it was hard; work towards fitness too; reality is I'm pretty old to start doing this tri thing; I have below average abilities; but I like it and work hard at it that is what matters.

Event comments:

This was first time they had done a HIM. They need to make some improvements..port a potty on bike and second aid station; volunteers who remain upright and engaged so we know where to go on run course; run course is like a crazy maze and very confusing with signs as there were two distances running at the same time plus a du. No food for spectators to buy or eat. My family was stuck in the park for 8+ hours with only snacks we had in car. Hard to leave and come back as they didn't want to miss me or give up their parking spot. Folks directing us where to park to be time efficient.

Plus things...great folks doing the race; good vibe about the race; venue is great (can camp or rent cabins which we didn't know), great technical ts , I see a lot of potential but some bugs need to be worked out.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-09-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:56:07 | 2110 yards | 02m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 141/147
Performance: Good
None
Suit: Promotion Full
Course: Counterclock wise around the pond with first buoy a gate to avoid the shallow parts of the pond.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:18:51 | 58 miles | 17.50 mile/hr
Overall: 0/147
Performance: Below average
See PT data in main bike part NP 139
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: It was an out and back in the shape of the big dipper...that you did twice
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:43:36 | 13.15 miles | 12m 26s  min/mile
Overall: 117/147
Performance: Below average
Wore HRM to remind me to gel/lava Salt every 30' took splits but didn't do HR and had the face of the HRM taped over so I couldn't see the time in order to remain in the moment and judgment free.
Course: Craziest course you have ever seen..in a State forest through winding trails; double backs; splits from Int'l distance..never was sure you were going the right way.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-10-09 10:30 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: Bassman Fall Half Distance Triathlon
Pictures of me with my family and also BTers Rob (RMaldon240)and Allison (oceanannie)

Edited by KathyG 2007-10-09 10:32 PM

2007-10-09 10:42 PM
in reply to: #1000026

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: RE: Bassman Fall Half Distance Triathlon
GREAT RR! I really loved the part where you remind yourself that you are an amazing role model for your kids. You have accomplished something that 99.9% of the world never will. You have lost an amazing amount of weight in a relatively short amount of time, become incredibly fit and are an inspiration to lots of people on this website. Thanks for your great story! I was thinking of you while I was doing my HIM and wondering how things were going for you. Congrats on finishing your first HIM and on some great reflections about your life in relation to doing tris. That is so much more inspiring to me than someone who finished fast and doesn't reflect.
2007-10-09 10:51 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Reading about your girls and their support got me a bit choked up here at my desk! They are very lucky to have such a phenomenal role model in their lives!

Your incredible triathlon journey to date is truly inspirational and I look forward to reading your RR next July!

GO KATHY!

2007-10-10 7:30 AM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma

Kathy -

You did an amazing job -- mentally and physically.  Don't be so down on your bike time -- it was respectable!  Rest up, heal, and GO RED SOX!!

2007-10-10 7:57 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Great Job Kathy, your family must be sooooo proud of you...

Don't worry you are not alone in thinking teh step up to an IM is gonna be hard. Hard work and focus and you will do fine.

2007-10-10 8:09 AM

Veteran
Wow Kathy, you got BLING! Be proud.
We are all so proud of you. I think you had an excellent race and are a role model for all of us.
Rhonda

2007-10-10 8:31 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Great job Kathy!!!!!  You set a goal and accomplished it!  I know your a little bummed about certain aspects of the race, but like everything you learn from the experience.  Now you can rest up and get psyched for LP!
2007-10-10 8:46 AM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
I love long race reports, they put you right there in the action...the detail was great!  I'm sooooo proud of you for coming back after a tough beginning of the year with your crash and all.  You are making some amazing strides!!!  Nice work!  You're right it IS lonely out there sometimes, but you made the best of it, and pulled thru!!  2nd Athena...whoop whoooooop!  Congrats Kathy!!  Awesome!!!
2007-10-10 9:01 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Kathy - awesome race and great RR. Sounds like the race was a great stepping stone to LP!

I am sure you will accomplish your goal at LP. Look how far you have come in such a short period of time - amazing!
2007-10-10 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Great RR! Good job hanging in there with a long hot day. Congrats on your first HIM!
2007-10-10 9:05 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Good race report Kathy!!! I think this was more of a success than you realize right now. I had my doubts/fears about the IM after my HIM to, but I just kind of said, well, thats what the next few months are for!!! If it were easy, everyone would do it. Thats the truth. Great job!!!!

2007-10-10 9:07 AM

User image

Pro
MA

CONGRATS Kathy.  Now you only have 1/2 a step toward and IM.  It's some tough work you put in.  Great to have familar faces around on the course.  Great photos, too.

2007-10-10 10:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn, NY

Kathy,

Great Race report.

Congratulations. You did a great job under tough conditions. It was hot and humid and lots of people suffered. I said it before but I will say it again. Whether you were hurting or not every time I saw you you had a smile on your face. You were the picture of grace under fire.

Remember telling me you would be last out of the water? You weren't. Not only were you not last but you passed people from the wave ahead of you. Don't focus on your times and whether they were slow or not. Focus on how much better you did than you thought you were gonna do.

Your Husband and the girls did a great job as a cheering section. One of the littler ones was running up and down the road with the runners as they went by. I wish I had her energy.

2007-10-10 11:12 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

Kathy- Great pictures, great report, great attitude to take into it all. I think you accomplished so much! What a great family you have, and you are just one step closer to that IM.  I'm sure there is much you personally learned from it and I know it all make you stronger in every aspect of life as you keep this up! Awesome job!

(thanks for the shout out in the report, it's my honor to do so, and when I say this site and people like you who have encouraged me have LITERALLY helped sanely complete the marathon that this deployment became, well, you can always count on my support and prayers!)

2007-10-10 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

First of all, your girls are gorgeous and it's obvious that they love their mama and are so kind to cheer on others the way they did. Very awesome.

Second of all, I think I feel about my bike the way you do about your run. I avg'd right around 15 mph and was thoroughly disgusted. I train faster than that! Your bike time is one that I aspire to hit!! How'd you like those apples?

I think that you will do so good on the bike in the IM (remember, pacing is key- it's not all out but steady) and you will have enough time to WALK the mary if you have to. And I don't expect you to. They say the rule of them is to double your half time and add an hour, if that's the case, you should be able to finish the IM in 15 hours. That's pretty good if you ask me. That means you have 2 hours of cushion!!!

We are both gonna be fine next year at our IM.  Trust the training. Our coaches won't let us down.

2007-10-10 11:17 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York

Your RR inticed me to go look at mine from Harriman in May. Like you, I never thought a HIM would take me 7 hours. You know what? There are many factors.  Your crash and the weather are two MAJOR contributors.  And still, you perservered.  End results, (time) is only one tiny part. You did great! Money in the bank, Kathy.

Now go rest up. The next chapter awaits... 

I look forward to taking the IM journey to the finish line at Lake Placid with you.

2007-10-10 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
Awesome race Kathy!! It's amazing how well you've come back from your crash. Keep up the hard work! It's not easy, but it'll all be worth it when you cross that finish line in LP!!!
2007-10-10 12:49 PM

User image

Master
brummie land
i chocked up as well. as q said - i LOVE long race reports's. feels like you were there. you did amazingly and never forget that!
2007-10-10 1:07 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
I am very proud of you. You have leaped mountains and stopped locomotives to get to this point. Your patience, ability to stick to your plan, and the joy you get out racing are characteristics that put you in the cateogory of role model.

Your race and report were super and the bike pic is really good too. Keep on pushing.
2007-10-10 1:21 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Great race report. What is it about mile10? I wanted to cry at that point in my race, too. You did awesome. I don't think we can really set time goals for a distance we've never raced before. I think that is just a set up for disappointment. You worked your butt off through some nasty injuries and sub par weather conditions at the race. You are awesome!! Enjoy your off-season and savor your amazing 2007 race season.

Pam
2007-10-10 1:42 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Kathy... you are so dang hard on yourself!

Gosh, that race sounds kind of... uuummm... depressing. Not what you did, but the spectators, the course, the volunteers, etc. I wish you had come to Texas to race! You woud have enjoyed it more I think.

It has to be hard being out there alone... wait! I know what that feels like... it's hard. But you pressed ahead and in my book, you did a great job.

Well, screw the time and all the details... you accomplished a HALF IRONMAN! YES! Congratulations!

2007-10-10 2:51 PM

User image

Master
Maine
Congratulations Kathy! So awesome that your girls were there to see you through - you are such an amazing role model to them and to others.
2007-10-10 3:42 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
great job Kathy and awesome pictures Love teh shot of you with the girls in your wetsuit!! You look awesome and look evenbetter soon   You look like you were having fun on the bike!!
2007-10-10 4:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Great report and pics. Amazing job. Good luck in future races!
2007-10-10 6:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
Great job out there......and yes it was a very tough run. By the end of the race the temps were getting to the upper 80s. The max temp in Tuckerton that day was 91. I know I felt it after about 3 miles. A struggle the rest of the way. Be proud to finish on a day where many road races (Chicago, Army 10 miler, LBI 18 miler) had many people hospitalized. It is quite an impressive accomplishment. I thought the volunteers did a pretty good job for the most part and the signs were fairly easy to follow. Congrats again!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bassman Fall Half Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 2