General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Virginia Beginner Triathlete Jockstrappers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-10 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chatham. Ontario
Subject: Virginia Beginner Triathlete Jockstrappers

I want to give a huge shout out to all the BT'ers that came out to the race on the weekend.  You guys are awesome and so generous.  I hope I don't forget anyone  Michelle (Shelly123),Kristin (Queen), Brad (Weds19), Paul (Grems8544), all rode unrelenting miles with me listening to me babble on about any subject from the constellation, training,relationships and anything else I could think of too pass the time away Brett (Brett),who gave me advise on strategy about the race and walked the last 2 miles of the death march with me. Andrew (Shanks),who encouraged me and made me a great ham and mayo sandwich, and  entertained me with his manly moustache.  Andrea (SCC), who always had lots of kind words. Sherry (oliveview),who had the best disposition of anyone I know, she rubbed out a cramp in my leg, she provided me with endurolytes, water and even went as far as holding my bike when I went to the washroom, she was a godsend.  Frank (Scubapunk),this guy is larger than life with his personality, he fixed my bike, he rubbed my shoulders when they were killing me and he lit the way for me at 3 o'clock in the morning for my run.  Renee (Renee),she's the woop woop girl, there wasn't a time that I could go bye her without a loud and joyous cheer. Christine (Lucy),always gave me lot of smiles and even went as far as taking down and packing my tent for me after the race because she knew I was exhausted.  Christine (Deepbluesea), Hollis (Possum),  D.Z. (DZ),these guys always gave me moral support at every chance they got.  Gina (Gryfrog), and Tom (Madcow). these two have my utmost respect for the determination and stamina that they showed during these tough times.

Lastly I would like to mention the person that went above and beyond to help me.  Ernie (ejc999).  I met Ernie and Michelle when I went to Lake Placid for a training weekend in July.  We kept in touch on bt and when I told Ernie I was doing the race he said he might be able to help me out a little.  Thats the understatement of the year.  I stayed at Ernie's house on Thurdsay, met his wife Erica and two kids Ryan and Brenna.  They fed me a steak dinner and gave me a comfy bed to sleep in.  Friday morning Ernie took me to various stores to buy some items that I had forgotten to bring. (bike shorts, running shorts, cliff bars, gatorade, bike gloves, body glide, running hat, running shirt, coat, batteries and some other items) Okay its obvious that I don't plan to well.  We then went to Lake Anna where we met Gina and her crew.  We set up our stuff beside them and then attempted to assemble a tent that didn't have all the poles.  It was funny and a sad sight.  Ernie unloaded everything and got things organized then we went to the prerace dinner, this went on way too long so we went back to the crew camp.  I took a sleeping pill and went to bed around 10.  The sound of a generator running on each side of the tent made it impossible to sleep.  I ended up sitting with Ginas crew and watching the triples on the bike.  In the morning Ernie ran around and did everything he could to get my oatmeal heated up for me.  Mission accomplished, then it was time to take my bike to the swim portion.  Ernie put the race number on the bike and fixed the bar tape on the bars.  He was there with water and a gel on the swim and another when I got out.  He took care of all my gear and made sure I was stocked and ready to  for the long bike ahead.  He not only rode many miles with me he also  ran with Gina, and rode with other people on the course that didn't have support at all.  This guy is truly a giver.  He made sure I drank and was supplied with nutrients even when I didn't want them.  I wanted for nothing.  Lastly he rode his bike with his pink coat beside me on the run portion for a good 40 to 45 miles.  I was worried that people would think we were a couple.  The last two hours of the run in the intense sun was brutal but he was always there getting me cold wet towels, filling my hat with ice and making sure I was hydrating.  At the end of the race he packed almost everything up and got things organized.  We then went back to his house where his lovely wife made another great meal and it was definetely time for sleep.  Ernie had aided me from Thursday afternoon till Sunday night, not too mention the others that he helped at the race.  What a friend. Thank you Ernie.

I would like to point out that I think I could physically do this race but mentally everyone at bt made it possible.  Your help and support overwelmed me and I'm sure I didn't articulate this well over the course of the weekend.  It amazes me how a group of A type personalities I never met before can join together and help someone they don't know accomplish a task thats almost unattainable.  You guys totally rock and deserve much more recognition that I could ever express on this post.

I hope that I can take your generousity and pass it on to others in the triathlon community.

2007-10-10 11:49 AM
in reply to: #1000768

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Subject: RE: Virginia Beginner Triathlete Jockstrappers
This is precisely what makes BT special.  Great job, Tony, and huge props to every one of you who helped out this weekend! 
2007-10-10 7:50 PM

User image

Champion
MA

BT is amazing....Tony congrats on your race....very cool to hear all the things BTers did to assist you.

Wow....you guys that volunteered awesome job!

It is the strange wonderful thing about BT is you "meet" them on-line and then you meet them at a race and you are fast friends, encouraging each other and being there to support each other whole way. 

2007-10-10 9:42 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Glad you had a great time!  Sounds like you were with the BT Elite!    Congrats on your awesome finish!
2007-10-11 5:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thank you for you thoughts Tony.  It was an honor to be a part of experience.  Thank you for letting us be a part of your race.
2007-10-11 7:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
you're right. ernie is ridiculous. what a good guy. if i ever decide to do something insane like that, i know who i'm calling.

you and the other racers were great out there and we would have liked to help out even more. thanks for the shirt and the kind words. the bt support crew was amazing. all the other racers were so jealous.

2007-10-11 12:05 PM

User image

Buttercup
aluminum1 - 2007-10-10 12:41 PM

Friday morning Ernie took me to various stores to buy some items that I had forgotten to bring. (bike shorts, running shorts, cliff bars, gatorade, bike gloves, body glide, running hat, running shirt, coat, batteries and some other items) Okay its obvious that I don't plan to well. 

That is too funny.

Ernie was very impressive in his efforts and attitude. Great guy who wears salmon colored jackets really well (even if it isn't a man color).

Snerkity snerk snerk re Shanks' mustache - but I didn't do it!

I guess now is a good time to tell you that Christine and I enjoyed the beers you inadvertently left behind. We didn't want them to go to waste.

Mostly, I want to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! You really looked great out there. Always smiling and moving strong. Impressive.

2007-10-11 3:29 PM

User image

Elite
Reston VA

Tony and Ernie are  my heroes. What a great community BT is!!!

2007-10-13 12:08 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

I had a good time at the race.  I got to meet a of BTers, got iin a good workout and watched some amazing athletes.  I appreciate the thanks from Tony but I'm sure he would have done the same for me.  As far as my jacket, it's definitely not pink, more of a desert sunset.  I've attached a few pictures from the race.

I could only get one picture to upload but here's a link to some other pictures:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=6817

Edited by ejc999 2007-10-13 12:13 PM

(Double IM hula skirt.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Double IM hula skirt.jpg (98KB - 27 downloads)
2007-10-13 4:42 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

wow. Tony you were a star- everytime I saw you you had a big ole smile on, as if to say "I am the luckiest guy in the world!"

It was indeed an honor...

2007-10-15 8:34 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

you're welcome on the tent, Tony. 

Like someone said to me "you're such a Boy Scout!"   heh.   I think I took down all the tents that day! 

It really was a great weekend! 

2007-10-15 8:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hey, speaking of tents...I came home with an extra one.  It's red and has 3 rooms.  Got any ideas on whose it might be??

2007-10-16 11:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chatham. Ontario

I think that might be Ernie's tent. I also came home with a pair of black hind bike shorts that aren't mine.  I am also missing a pair of black and blue bike shorts (that matched my blue bike shirt) If any one comes across them please let me know.

2007-10-16 11:29 AM
in reply to: #1010330

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Yeah, Ernie is a great guy (even if he does always threaten to push me into cars the few times we ran together).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Virginia Beginner Triathlete Jockstrappers Rss Feed