General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Back pain from dehydration? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-04 7:51 PM

New user

Cherry Hill
Subject: Back pain from dehydration?
Hello Everyone,

I've kinda been a 'lurker' over the past year or so but have really appreciated the discussion forums over the past training months. However, now it seems that I need some advice from y'all, or at least your thoughts and opinions on the matter.

I ran the Marine Corps Marathon this past Sunday and became extremely concerned after about twelve miles when the left side of my back just below the shoulderblade began to ache. It was a dull ache which forced me to begin walking. When I tried to keep running, it hurt to breathe. I tried to put it behind me because I wanted to finish no matter what . . . but at the end of the race, both sides of my back were throbbing with the dull ache.

It hurt so bad to breathe that I was forced to take short shallow breaths. The Marines at the end thought I was going to pass out I guess since my face was "white as chalk." I finished in 5 hours and 10 minutes but that was by far my worst marathon to date. I ran a 4:15:34 marathon six weeks earlier. The weather conditions were hot, sunny, humid with little to no wind (about 79 degrees by the time I finished).

So after all this prelim information, has anyone ever experienced this before? Is this a medical condition I should be concerned about? Could I simply have been overly dehydrated? I wasn't drinking as much as I normally do and I think that might have caused it. I'd greatly appreciate any feedback on the subject. Thanks in advance for any responses or references to any medical articles out on the 'net about this.

2004-11-08 11:37 PM
in reply to: #79267

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: Back pain from dehydration?
Hi Fargo!

I'm glad you decided to stop lurking... so welcome! :0)

I have no experience with marathons... BUT I have A LOT of experience with back issues. I had a really bad mt. biking accident, dislocated several vertebra, did a triathlon two weeks later [at the time i didn't know my condition], and two years later... here i am finally getting ready to get back on the bandwagon of training.

SO, that said... i have experienced shortness/difficulty in breathing when my muscles would get so tight, that they would constrict my ribs some [and yes this is VERY painful]. I believe that your symtoms sound like a combination of things... at first it could have been the dehydration leading to the muscle tightness.... but now, I just think you need a real good massage therapy session. If you find a good one [preferably one that works in a hospital], they should be able to check out what's going on. So many times, massage therapy was the answer to help me out.

good luck with this... hope this helped! Lot's of luck,

Milly
2004-11-09 10:09 PM
in reply to: #79267

New user

Cherry Hill
Milly,

Thanks for the advice. I've talked to alot of people overthe past few days and it seems that a deep tissue massage is the one thing that nearly everyone recommended. I've run four marathons and I'm sure its quite possible that over the past 18 months my back muscles have endured a tremendous amout of strain and over-exertion. I sincerely appreciate the suggestions - now I just have to find a good massage place and go from there.
At any rate, I hope your situtation continues to improve and the training progresses smoothly. Thanks again for the info!

David
2004-11-10 7:32 PM
in reply to: #81039

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Anytime David... that's what the forum is for... and do keep me posted on the back. I highly recommend looking for a masseuse that works in a hospital versus the day-spa ones.

lots of luck... and i'm sure there must be a website on this somewhere out there.

:0)

Milly
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Back pain from dehydration? Rss Feed