General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Injury Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-08 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Injury Question
Greetings - Its been a while, but I'm back after a work/life induced break from the board.

Quick Background: After what I would consider a great first tri season (5 sprint races) I decided to finish off the year with a 1/2 marathon in November (It was suppose to be yesterday). Two weeks ago after a long run I started to feel a little pain in my right foot. It progressively got worse until the next morning I could barely walk. I went to the doctor who informed me that I had streched the ligaments along the bottom of my foot and that I cannot run or bikes for at least 4 weeks, but possibly longer. I have been cleared to swim though.

I am getting back to the pool this week, and would like to mix in some weight training as well. I have never hit the weights, and am wondering if those with experience can offer some suggestions for a workout that will help me build upper body and "core" strength without using the injured foot.

It's good to be back - Thanks.

Bill

2004-11-08 4:23 PM
in reply to: #80431

User image

Expert
Iowa
Subject: RE: Injury Question

Everyone has their own lifting preferences. I have adapted mine from picking up several tri books, all of which have slightly different weight routines in them. I think you should look around and read a couple of books to see what will work best for you. You might also start on the BT homepage. I've included the link. Good luck!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=319

2004-11-08 4:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Hey Mul,

Sorry to hear about the injury! I don't have a lot of lifting experience, just picking up my 2 year old nephew.

BUT, what about using any upper body machine that requires you to be seated? I would ask your physical therapist or your doctor for suggestions.

Lots of luck!

Milly
2004-11-09 12:16 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia

Here's an adapatation of the routine I'm doing:

Bench press
Lat pulldown
Lat pullover
Upright row
Tricep extension
Bicep curl
Back extension
Leg extension (if doing this seated in a machine, you shouldn't use your foot at all)
Hamstring curl (be more careful with this one, but hopefully you won't use your foot)
Abductors
Adductors
Crunches

For the first 9 exercises, do 2 sets of each, 12-15 reps each set.  On each rep, 2 counts down and 4 counts up.  Choose a weight light enough to where you can perform at least 12 reps with proper form and stop when you feel like you can do 2 or 3 more before failure.

On abductors/adductors, shoot for 3 sets of 30 reps.  This prevents ITBS.  On crunches, do whatever.  I usually do 4 sets of 75.

To see proper form, enter the name of the exercise and "photo" in a google search.

Happy lifting.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Injury Question Rss Feed