General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero wheels on road bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-15 8:56 AM

Veteran
Subject: Aero wheels on road bike
Hi All,

First post.

I have completed a first season of tri and love it.

I have a Torelli-framed/Campy road bike with T2+ aero bars and Mavice open pro rims. I have moved the seat as far forward as possible, and have set the bars low. The T2s allow for fore and aft adjustment of the bars, so I have placed them where I believe is most aero. Over the winter I will have a new fit done, and replace the seatpost and/or base bars to get me in the most aerodynamic position. I know that this is not as good as a Tri geometry bike, but this is for now.

My question is, do aero race wheels help more or less if your bike is not the most aerodynamic? In other words, will aero wheels on my road bike help less/as much/more than such wheels on a true aero tri bike?

My initial thoughts is that they might actually help more as there is more speed to find. Front wheel should be the same as it is ahead of the bike. Because of turbulance at the rear wheel, perhaps the aero wheel will do more to correct this problem and return laminar flow? I am just not sure. Has any research been done?

TIA.

Gordon

2007-11-15 9:04 AM
in reply to: #1054806

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Aero wheels on road bike

Not sure. But I do know they will still make that cool wooshing sound when you go by...

I would bet it's never been formally studied, since most testing is done to see what is the most aerodynamc set-up, and not "how aero can we get this not-so-aero to begin with bike".

Your body creates exponentially more drag that all of your components combined. So if you get on a bike where your body is in a better aero position... you get the idea. I think getting all of the components you mention and getting fitted and all that would give you significantly less benefit than getting a more geometrically friendly bike. But of course they aren't cheap either...

Good luck either way!

2007-11-15 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
Carmel
Some companies like Serotta dont totally agree with the flat downtubes for aerodynamics. They think that round tubes are the most aero. Aero wheels will make the bike more aeor regardless of the tubes. And like it was said earlier they look cooler.
2007-11-15 9:53 AM

Master
http://tri-talk.com/weblog/?p=36

Provides a good breakdown of benefits for each component. Basically, your aero position makes the most difference, followed by an aero frame, and then the rest.

2007-11-15 9:54 AM

Veteran
Thanks all so far.

I would not be stuck with this issue but for the fact that the bike is Campy, and it appears that any factory speced tri bike is Shimano. If I do the wheels first, and then change to a tri bike, I will be SOL with at least the rear hub.

I guess my point is if I can get 95% of the way there with proer fitting and accessories, I may not need a tri bike. If this is a hopeless endeavor, I will keep what I have and put all into a tri bike when appropriate.

Gordon
2007-11-15 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I love that sound. I need to get my wheels so someone can love my sound going by.

2007-11-15 11:17 AM
in reply to: #1054952

User image

Master
St. Louis
kesslergk - 2007-11-15 9:54 AM

Thanks all so far.

I would not be stuck with this issue but for the fact that the bike is Campy, and it appears that any factory speced tri bike is Shimano. If I do the wheels first, and then change to a tri bike, I will be SOL with at least the rear hub.

I guess my point is if I can get 95% of the way there with proer fitting and accessories, I may not need a tri bike. If this is a hopeless endeavor, I will keep what I have and put all into a tri bike when appropriate.

Gordon

You would be better off spending money on a tri bike as opposed to race wheels. Aero wheels really wont save you all that much time when compared to a real tri bike.
2007-11-15 11:54 AM
in reply to: #1054952

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

kesslergk - 2007-11-15 8:54 AM Thanks all so far. I would not be stuck with this issue but for the fact that the bike is Campy, and it appears that any factory speced tri bike is Shimano. If I do the wheels first, and then change to a tri bike, I will be SOL with at least the rear hub. I guess my point is if I can get 95% of the way there with proer fitting and accessories, I may not need a tri bike. If this is a hopeless endeavor, I will keep what I have and put all into a tri bike when appropriate. Gordon

The make conversion cassettes that let you run Campy spacing on a shimano hub.  I know Excel Sports Boulder has them.   If you perceive switching to a Shimano setup with the wheels you buy, I would look into that option.   You could also easily swap hubs when you fully convert to shimano.  Most disc or trispokes have a pretty easy option to swap the hub and a spoked wheel can be relaced. 

2007-11-15 12:27 PM

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte,NC
Everything else being the same:
YES Aero wheels are faster than the box wheels.
But a good aero position and to be able to stay there is the most important thing.
If you already have that aero wheels and an aero helmet will make a quantifiable difference.
2007-11-15 1:02 PM

Veteran
Thanks Doubleplay,

My aero position is quite comfortable. No problem staying there for extended times. I will likely have a fitting to be sure the setup is as efficient as possible, for even with a tri bike, I wiould probably ride the road bike quite a bit in training.

I will also be getting an aero helmet as that is transferable.

As for the wheels I will have to see. Perhaps a cover for the rear will be sufficient until I get a tri bike? A Tri-Spoke in the front would be transferable as well.

Thanks for all the opinions.

Gordon
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero wheels on road bike Rss Feed