General Discussion Triathlon Talk » UC Irvine First annual reverse sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-02-15 7:33 PM
in reply to: #1215374

User image

Newport Beach
Subject: RE: UC Irvine First annual reverse sprint Triathlon
elheffe99 - 2008-02-15 5:09 PM

I'm 90% that I'll be there. I'm fighting a cold and it really depends on how I feel in the morning.

If I do show up I'll have on black tri shorts and a blue tri top and I'll be on a black Kuota with a blue Adamo seat.

I talked with Cashmason and we were thinking of grabbing a cup of coffee or a bagel after the race if any BT'ers are up for it.

I hope to see you there.

Jeff

Good luck Jeff, hope to see you there, I will be the grey tri shorts and white top on a Jamis Road Bike. Just picked me registration and I am number 122.

Hope to see you all there.
Brad

Also, check out my thread about the run course, its a true cross-country adventure for the second half of the 5k!

2008-02-15 10:47 PM
in reply to: #1094357

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
I'll be there in a blue and orange OC Tric club outfit. Orange Trek bike.

Cash
2008-02-15 11:57 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego
I'll be there, dressed exactly like my avatar.
2008-02-16 2:05 PM

User image

Expert
Did the run leg seem short to you guys? My Garmin only measured it at 2.38 miles
2008-02-16 6:01 PM

User image

Expert
I hope everyone had a good day today. I had my first DNS. It's kind of how things are going for me these days. I hope to be back in the swing of things soon.
2008-02-16 6:44 PM
in reply to: #1216052

User image

Veteran
San Diego
Cashmason - 2008-02-16 12:05 PM

Did the run leg seem short to you guys? My Garmin only measured it at 2.38 miles

Not here. Though I do know there was one area that I saw people looking to go in the wrong direction, before heading back out. If your Garmin shows only 2.3, I believe that was exactly the spot I'm thinking of, as it was right around the 2 mile mark. Considering that the run was so sparsely marked, I can see how people could of gone off on their own.

Here's mine. Exactly 3.21 miles.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/4982538

Do you use motionbased? If so we can compare the routes taken.

2008-02-16 8:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Ironman Arizona via Surf City, USA

something might have "burped" in yer 305..  mine registered 3.09 miles in 31:09... I liked that...  spent 3:21 in T1 cause I had to pee... then mine "brain farted" and didn't record the bike portion correctly..  had some waring message on the screen about "in multisport mode" and hit "enter to continue"..  I think I didn't activate "auto multi-sport"..

Anyway...had a good day and really enjoyed the bike course with my new bike..  I lost its virginity today!  the run was wild as I have never done a trail run during a race...It was interesting and happy I didn't end up on my butt..  I even avoided the (2) piles of dog crap in the middle of the trail while going up hill towards Anteater Drive... 

The swim was great after hop-footing it down the pebbly path to the pool... I'm a tender-foot.. Once I put my feet in the water, I asked the lifeguard if I could just sit for a minute...the water was like 85...wonderful....I was surprised I did a smooth swim and didn't get really winded.. I have no idea what my finishing time was, but it was a really fun race..

2008-02-16 9:01 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks Chris.

Yes when we got to the bike area runners where going every which way. I asked a voluteer which way, and they said back to the transition, so thats what I did. Several other runners were doing the same thing.

Drat, I was running well too.

So you were supposed to run about a half mile past the bike alley area and then back I guess.

When I came by bikes were coming out and there was a big ball of people looking confused and trying to avoid bikes.
2008-02-17 3:36 PM

Los Angeles, CA
TriBabe, I think I spoke to you briefly, were you wearing an OC Tri Club suit? Cash, I think I saw you and Brad and I had a nice chat although we didn't know who we were.

I thought the run was fairly grueling considering the hill and the terrrain. There were ankle dangers everywhere. I went by the first mile marker at 8 minutes flat, but my overall split on my watch was 28:16, so the last two miles were much slower. That bike hill was a doozy for sure. This whole race was fun, though, I thought. The volunteers were friendly, etc.

The weirdest thing that happened, which I wrote in my race report, was that there was a guy two spaces down from me who had the same type of bike shoe as me. When I got to T1 my shoes were gone. he had forced my size 10.5s onto his feet, which were size 12, and rode off, so my only choice was to put on his shoes and do the bike portion with almost clown shoes on. It was a race to remember for sure.
2008-02-17 10:32 PM
in reply to: #1217078

User image

Veteran
San Diego
Scone_Mason - 2008-02-17 1:36 PM

I went by the first mile marker at 8 minutes flat, but my overall split on my watch was 28:16, so the last two miles were much slower.

Yeah, looking at my GPS data, the entire 2nd mile of the run was 100% uphill and off road. Definitely not conditions for a 5K PR for sure. Still, like you said, this event was an absolute blast and a great adventure.

Just *REALLY* wish they'd get around to posting the results one of these days.
2008-02-18 12:13 AM

User image

Expert
Yes Tribabe, was wearing an OC Tri top. So was I.

2008-02-18 12:35 AM

Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, I'm really interested in the results now, I thought I was slow, but I might not have done as bad as I thought.

Cash, I saw the both of you and spoke briefly to Tribabe. I had on a bright red fleece Northface pullover.

Edited by Scone_Mason 2008-02-18 12:37 AM
2008-02-19 12:35 PM

Los Angeles, CA
Results are up. As I suspected, my goofy shoe transition killed my overall time, I must have futzed around for a good 5 minutes at T1.
2008-02-21 10:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Ironman Arizona via Surf City, USA

Scone, I am SO sorry but I am laughing my a$$ of about yer shoe situation..  Did you ever get them back??  I too was surprised at the course.. I had never run a trail race..  I was happy to miss the dog doo-doo..   I am excited to say that I ran a great race and ended up taking 3rd place in my 45-49 age group..  WOO HOO! The first time I have ever placed in my AG...  And NO, there wasn't just 3 in my AG.. There was 5..Tongue out  The bike was a bit of a test for me on my new ride but I was pleased that I managed it and wasn't "beat" when I got into T2..   I think my overall time was 1:35:42 

I was in my "Denver Broncos" uni for the OC Tri Club..  I had a great time especially talking to new people and hopefully encouraging some..  I met a "TriDiva" who seemed to be struggling just a bit on her run..  Not sure if it was her boyfriend or hubby running with her, but he seemed to be going a tad too fast for her..  I hope she didn't think I was rude by telling her as I ran by, to stay within herself and set her breathing and pace...  To run her race...  I felt the guys eyes on my back as I ran by..  Hopefully he didn't take it the wrong way but she was breathing hard and really needed to slow down and set a pace...  I think he was trying to get her to run with him and her telling me it was her first race of the season, I don't think that was a good idea...  Just my opinion.. 

I think they had a great turn-out and this race seems like a keeper..

2008-02-22 2:58 PM

Los Angeles, CA
The shoe story seems to be the weirdest transition story that about anyone has heard. When I do the Pasadena in a couple weeks, my shoes are going to be identifiable from a mile away, and I considered this a good impetus to learn how to mount and ride with the shoes clipped to the pedals. If anyone asks "why did you mark up your shoes like that ?" I'll have a tale for them.
2008-02-22 6:10 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego
Anyone know if they're going to be posting pictures? I saw quite a few "official looking" photographers on the course taking pictures of everyone. Thought they might of been part of one of the college teams, but they seemed to be taking pictures of everyone.

2008-02-22 6:18 PM

Los Angeles, CA
When I wrote to the webmaster about posting the results, he told me that they didn't have a computerized system, and had to enter all the results data by hand, which is why they took so long to get the results on the web site. Based on that level of technology, they're probably waiting for their pictures to come back from Walmart's. Then of course they'll have to scan them and post them.

The site does say they are going to post splits, so I guess they were paying more attention than I thought. Pics should follow that, although they haven't announced anything. They did seem to be taking pictures on every leg.
2008-02-24 2:19 AM

User image

Expert
Splits times are up.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » UC Irvine First annual reverse sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 2