Last night's Hello Fresh meal was a steak dish with sweet potato wedges, served on a bed of arugula with balsamic dressing (hot also) and sliced cherry tomatoes. Neither of us are really steak eaters and I considered switching to a chicken or shrimp dish, but took a chance and have to say it was one of the best steaks I have ever had. The sweet potatoes are tossed with olive oil and fresh rosemary, another herb I don't use much, and roasted in the oven.

We had some asparagus so I put that in the oven as well. Really good meal.

Overslept and didn't get up to run. It's cold again so maybe I overslept on purpose. These days I can't stand the thought of bundling up in the winter duds to get out for run. I'll just wait until lunch or evening.
Swim
  • 31m
  • 1300.00 yards
  • 02m 23s /100 yards

200 easy swim- get warmed up
MS
25 FAST
25 EASY
50 catch up drill
2 x 75 kick with fins
100 swim perfect, bilateral breathe
150 pull
200 swim FAST with fins
300 swim steady and time it
100 easy pull to cool down

Bike
  • 1h 15m
  • 14.00 miles
  • 11.20 Mi/hr

Zwift hilly route. Ouch

Yesterday the mobile vet was coming out (had to reschedule from last week due to her being sick) mid-morning to work on Beebee's ears, so I got to leave work (yeah). The vet wrapped things up pretty quickly and it was too early to eat lunch, so I ran round the neighborhood. Legs felt like they didn't want to turn over. I'm going to blame it on the long gravel ride Sunday and the fact that I'm not used to running in the middle of the day. Starting to think I do better if I run a little bit every day, but that's probably not realistic.

Our second Hello Fresh delivery came yesterday afternoon -- last night I made a Thai Stir Fry. It had ground pork and rice noodles and was delicious. It really reminded me of Pad Thai, kind of sweet and smoky all at the same time. Steve had a second helping, I saved mine for today's lunch.

Work's been unrelentingly busy with one deadline after another. I'm in the Marketing Department and help prepare bids and proposals, and it seems like we used to get a little breather in between deadlines. Now it feels like we're going after everything out there, rather than being selective. It feels frantic and stressful...ugh. Still working on that retirement plan!

Run
  • 38m
  • 3.00 miles
  • 12m 40s /Mi

Lunch jog

Strength
  • 30m

Mixed strength moves with some plyo thrown in

Bike
  • 4h 31m
  • 52.00 miles
  • 11.51 Mi/hr

Long ride with Brenda, Patty and Steve on the gravel bikes. Went over to the next county. Not the most scenic area, it's lots of flat cornfields, but somehow we managed to get 1100 feet of elevation change. It's calving season and we passed a field of cows and saw a little baby calf being born. Stopped the ride and watched the mama cow cleaning up her baby. It was pretty cool!

Run
  • 1h 55m
  • 8.69 miles
  • 13m 14s /Mi

Slow slogging run. It's done

Had plans to do some gravel riding over in Missouri today, but Mother Nature isn't cooperating and it's just too darned cold and sloppy for me to want to get outside. Sunday might be a better option.

Friend Brenda was at a bike shop in Decatur yesterday and the guy there told her about a gravel ride near a town called Pearl, Illinois, that has two tunnels. Incredibly, I was able to find this route on RideWithGPS --- it's slightly over an hour from Springfield. The tunnels look amazing -- they go under railroad tracks. Weather permitting (I have to preface all outdoor plans with that phrase right now), we'll get over there next weekend and ride that course.

abake's Training Log

March 2017 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 

Time
Distance
  • Railsplitter Olympic Triathlon (Triathlon)
    6/17/2017 Petersburg, Illinois
  • Ironman 70.3 Steelhead (Triathlon)
    8/13/2017 Benton Harbor, Michigan
  • Ironman Louisville (Triathlon)
    10/15/2017 Louisville, Kentucky
  • March's totals
  • February's totals
  • 2017 totals
  • 2016 totals