Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2024-05-26 2:51 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Yeah! Well done Gretchen!

You smashed your goals and your previous time! Can’t get any better than that!

Well done on the 2nd AG spot although, this isn’t really your achievement, it depends on who turns up, or doesn’t (or even if they use race age or actual age as you said). Always nice to be on the podium though.

2024-05-26 9:05 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by Rollergirl

2022 Nat 1- 2024 Nat 0
Past Nats 2- 2024 Nat 0

But for 2022 Nat it was the last race of the season and this year it was the first one. It went according to the realistic plan.
1:27:58 (win for for those who had 1:28:00)

Details to follow

Well done on your race Nat.

You may not have beat 2022 Nat, but you did beat your pre race goal. So great job pushing through and getting more out of yourself than you thought possible. Awesome work.
2024-05-26 9:10 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hey all!

2022 Gretchen 0/ 2024 Gretchen 1!!

Barely beat my 2022 overall time, but the run was longer this year!

Overall 1:32:17 (goal 1:42:24)
Swim 7:45 1:56/100 (goal 8:00)
T1 1:58
Bike 43:48 19.15mph (goal 45:24)
T2 1:08
Run 37:51 12:08/mi (goal 13:00/mi)

Was 2nd AG (would have been 1st if they used race age instead of actual age. I’m 44 years and 361 days old.). Overall 9th female, which I’m pretty happy with.

I wish I could get my run to look like a run, but I guess you can’t have everything!

Swim was great—only passed by one guy who seeded himself poorly. Didn’t pass or catch anyone, so pretty happy there.

T1 was way faster than I was expecting. There is a pretty long run between the pool and the bike racks. Even had to dodge some spectators.

Bike was great, except I couldn’t get any hydration after about my second drink. I think the tube was curled up and sticking out the top of the liquid, but I’m going to have to investigate the issue. I can’t be without fluids/nutrition on longer rides/races.

T2 was kind of a mess. Bike racking went well, but tying my shoes was a mess. It was like I forgot that basic skill. I had to change socks too, as mine were soaked and I hate starting a race with wet socks. (Wearing socks on the bike because on Thursday my bike left shoe started rubbing my heel for some reason and gave me a blister). Also…forgot my sunglasses.

Run was a run. It wasn’t all that pretty, but I feel like I gave it my all. Only walked through the one aid station at about the half mile mark (poorly placed). Was able to kick it in at the end and finish strong, so that feels good.

Final time is 1:29 faster than 2022 Gretchen, with an extra bit of running this year.

Great job to you too Gretchen. Especially that run. You say slow, but 1 minute/mile faster than predicted? That's a great effort.
2024-05-26 9:32 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Mike, Florida - Carolina... somewhere how with a beach. Same difference Not a wet, windy and cold start of winter we've got here. Enjoy the 'heat acclimation'

@Gretchen. Put me down as another in the 'no idea what you're talking about' column. All I know about mathematical modeling is 'all models are wrong, but some are useful'

Me,

Another solid run week for me.

S: 0
B: x1, 1 hour
R: x7, 6hr 40min, 51km
S/M x1, 10 min

No cabin progress strength workouts this week, it was some miserable cold weather this weekend, so we decided to find better things to do inside rather than shoveling scoria in the rain.
2024-05-27 5:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
for your reading pleasure

https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

oh and also, it's race week! 1/10th Ironman on Saturday

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-05-27 5:21 AM
2024-05-27 2:02 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
An hour of strength training followed by 1800m of swimming amongst the lunch crowd (pool has limited hours today). It is wild to swim with the lunch crowd, they seem to have an entirely different set of etiquette, which involves jumping into the lane without notice, swimming in no semblance of a line, and doing water aerobics in a lane someone else was already swimming in. I miss masters!!

2024-05-27 3:04 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

An hour of strength training followed by 1800m of swimming amongst the lunch crowd (pool has limited hours today). It is wild to swim with the lunch crowd, they seem to have an entirely different set of etiquette, which involves jumping into the lane without notice, swimming in no semblance of a line, and doing water aerobics in a lane someone else was already swimming in. I miss masters!!

Great training for triathlon!
2024-05-28 6:31 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Great races, ladies!! 

@Nathalie:  saw you cut the bottoms of your wetsuit...I've been debating taking a couple inches of the bottoms of mine as well to help get the thing off in transition.

@Andrew:  yes a beach, and yes quite warm here as we head into summer

Got in three decent days of training, one 4-mile run, a 45-minute cycling session and a couple of short swims with some core work.  Taper is on this week so off today (though we're doing a walking tour of historic Savannah this afternoon).  Race weather is looking decent though a chance of some rain.

Have a good week, all.

2024-05-28 7:13 AM
in reply to: #5288751

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hour Z2 ride, followed immediately by a 1:04 run with 4x8’ Z4 intervals. Everything felt good almost like this whole training thing works!
2024-05-28 7:34 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Hour Z2 ride, followed immediately by a 1:04 run with 4x8’ Z4 intervals. Everything felt good almost like this whole training thing works!

who would have thought?
2024-05-28 7:41 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Great races, ladies!! 

@Nathalie:  saw you cut the bottoms of your wetsuit...I've been debating taking a couple inches of the bottoms of mine as well to help get the thing off in transition.

@Andrew:  yes a beach, and yes quite warm here as we head into summer

Got in three decent days of training, one 4-mile run, a 45-minute cycling session and a couple of short swims with some core work.  Taper is on this week so off today (though we're doing a walking tour of historic Savannah this afternoon).  Race weather is looking decent though a chance of some rain.

Have a good week, all.

Yeah I'd recommend it

Enjoy taper week! What's you race again?

I am not tapering this week, I have a race on Saturday but I am counting it as training.
Focus on the run, which I desperatly need to improve on this year and transitions (which always need to be practiced, just like the golf swing).

Talking of running, I had a nice 3 x 1km at a 5 min/km pace yesterday (one minute rest in between). First time I can hold a longer interval at a nice speed this year. There is hope!

1000 m swim today + gettting out of wetsuit practice.

2024-05-28 7:51 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

@Gretchen:  I have ZERO idea what you're talking about - is that statistical models? it's been a WHILE since I've delved into that discipline but even so never heard of which you speak. 

Indeed...statistical modeling of human behavior...cause...you know...humans tend to behave in totally predictable ways!

As someone whose job it is to predict (and control LOL) human reaction to change, yeah. 

I too was completely lost lol so I'm glad I'm not alone in that!
2024-05-28 7:56 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl

Yeah I'd recommend it Enjoy taper week! What's you race again? I am not tapering this week, I have a race on Saturday but I am counting it as training. Focus on the run, which I desperatly need to improve on this year and transitions (which always need to be practiced, just like the golf swing). Talking of running, I had a nice 3 x 1km at a 5 min/km pace yesterday (one minute rest in between). First time I can hold a longer interval at a nice speed this year. There is hope! 1000 m swim today + gettting out of wetsuit practice.

Sprint tri with a longer bike (15 miles vs. typical 20K).  It's the Maryland state championships so it's a big qualifier for USAT nationals, which I'm trying to qualify for.  I think I need to break 1:30 to have a shot, which would take 16:00/44:00/26:00 with sub-4 total transitions (long run into T1 so they skew a little high here).  I think I'm capable on the pacing, it's all about putting everything together in one race.

My wetsuit is about done (and we're probably borderline wetsuit-legal it has been so warm lately) so I think saving 7-10 seconds in T1 might be worth the sacrifice. 

2024-05-28 7:59 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen and Nat, way to crush your races! Nat, knowing that your 2022 Nat had an extra 3-4 months of training, I think you still beat her with this one!

Mike, hope SC is treating you well! Is your race this weekend? So glad you are feeling back to normal and able to turn up the training!

Andrew, work on the cabin sounds like it's moving right along! Please share progress pics if you have them, as I love stuff like this

2024-05-28 8:06 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Had a pretty productive week in lots of ways. Got in walks most days, and have been pretty good about my PT, though am eager to go back. I'm changing to PT and have a session tomorrow with the new one b/c it was too difficult to get the sessions I need at the other place.

I've walked a lot over the last week. My step goal changes based on my activity and it's back up to over 11k (was below 5k 2 weeks ago). I've also been doing some core and upper body work. Got in 20 min of each this morning, and then walked to work (about a mile and a half) with a heavy bag on my back. Will have the same walk home, though hopefully with less weight.

I visited my boyfriend in NC, which was great. He's also pretty active so we did a good amount of walking, we put some chairs together (he just moved), and he wanted to run Saturday so I went to the Y with him and got a solid 2k swim in (200 warm up, 3 x (6 x 100s). Felt really good!

It's definitely warming up here and I'm trying to get as much time outside as possible! I'm also trying to schedule more short movement breaks into my schedule. I listened to a podcast that talked about a study that found the best way to battle the effects of sitting all day is moving for 5 minutes every 30 minutes. This can be tough with my job, which really requires me to be on a computer constantly, but I'm going to see how I can fit in some of this and set alarms or something.
2024-05-28 10:00 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

Had a pretty productive week in lots of ways. Got in walks most days, and have been pretty good about my PT, though am eager to go back. I'm changing to PT and have a session tomorrow with the new one b/c it was too difficult to get the sessions I need at the other place.

I've walked a lot over the last week. My step goal changes based on my activity and it's back up to over 11k (was below 5k 2 weeks ago). I've also been doing some core and upper body work. Got in 20 min of each this morning, and then walked to work (about a mile and a half) with a heavy bag on my back. Will have the same walk home, though hopefully with less weight.

I visited my boyfriend in NC, which was great. He's also pretty active so we did a good amount of walking, we put some chairs together (he just moved), and he wanted to run Saturday so I went to the Y with him and got a solid 2k swim in (200 warm up, 3 x (6 x 100s). Felt really good!

It's definitely warming up here and I'm trying to get as much time outside as possible! I'm also trying to schedule more short movement breaks into my schedule. I listened to a podcast that talked about a study that found the best way to battle the effects of sitting all day is moving for 5 minutes every 30 minutes. This can be tough with my job, which really requires me to be on a computer constantly, but I'm going to see how I can fit in some of this and set alarms or something.

way to keep active while you heal! well dome

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 106

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 909 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland