Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 136

2024-08-29 3:55 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Race report is up! One of my longest ever, but there are pictures!

https://saluki-my.sharepoint.com/:w:/g/personal/gdabbs_siu_edu/EU5h5...

2024-08-29 9:43 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Race report is up! One of my longest ever, but there are pictures!

https://saluki-my.sharepoint.com/:w:/g/personal/gdabbs_siu_edu/EU5h5...

Great read as always Gretchen. And thank you for the pictures You always have something unexpected happening on your travels, you're going to have to turn it all into a book oneday. Hitting your goal times like that a week after a full distance is so impressive.

But the final paragraph was missing... what's coming next?
2024-08-29 9:55 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Nat, Nope, you're not allowed to get sick. It's just the taper, and office AC playing tricks with your mind. Yup, if you drown during the swim, we'll assume it was serious. Good luck for race day. Smash it.

Mike, Another good luck for race day. Sounds like your back is behaving again, so your ready for a good one.

Nicole, Hope your week is going well

Robert, I'm also struggling with sleep at the moment. I think I said before but the difference in 2 workout days in my mid 30s and 2 workout days in my 40s is staggering. I really need to get to sleep earlier if I'm going to get through this planned season.

Me, Light week so far, as planned. Got to the pool this morning for 1,000m, didn't have my own lane today, so was a bit of an oddball workout, but felt much better in the water than last week. Which is good. I do not enjoy the logistics/timing of swimming laps at the moment. Once at the pool though, I am starting to enjoy the actual swim again. So that's something.

Have a good weekend guys. It's fathers day in NZ on Sunday. So I'll do some work, but Saturday we're visiting the grandpas, and Sunday I'll be enjoying bacon, eggs and coffee in bed, rather than a predawn run.
2024-08-30 7:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

I do not enjoy the logistics/timing of swimming laps at the moment. Once at the pool though, I am starting to enjoy the actual swim again. So that's something.

Good on you for making the effort to go there.

Thanks, for the report Gretchen, I will read it later.

I-am-getting-sick-feeling is still here but I played 18 holes of golf this morning (very well I may add, I am this year's office champion) and didn't think about it the whole time so it's definitely in my head.

The achilles is tired though after the golf but fockit, it's the last tri of the season, happen what happens tomorrow. If I can't run my 10k next Wednesday, so be it

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-08-30 8:19 AM
2024-08-30 10:25 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog
Originally posted by drfoodlove Race report is up! One of my longest ever, but there are pictures! https://saluki-my.sharepoint.com/:w:/g/personal/gdabbs_siu_edu/EU5h5...
Great read as always Gretchen. And thank you for the pictures You always have something unexpected happening on your travels, you're going to have to turn it all into a book oneday. Hitting your goal times like that a week after a full distance is so impressive. But the final paragraph was missing... what's coming next?

What a great read. and such a well-executed race amongst all the trials and tribulations.  While your run wasn't quite what you wanted, I'm thinking the heat was the difference there.  93 degrees is no joke and can easily slow you down at least 45 seconds a mile. 

And yeah, what Andrew said...what's next?  Two IMs on the same weekend?

2024-08-30 2:33 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Andrew:  Happy Father's Day!

@Nathalie:  Good luck tomorrow!!

@Nicole:  no masters for me tomorrow but I'll be going next weekend for sure - have you heard anything on your surgery?

@Robert:  hope that Achilles stays OK...I have trouble sleeping sometimes as well, seems to come in cycles (maybe the moon? - only half kidding)

Another good day for me...2K in the pool including a couple of low 40s off the wall, then some strength training.  Short bike at lunch doing aero and then like 15 minutes of stretching and PT to alleviate the predicted-above DOMS from legs day. 

2024-08-30 5:11 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Mike—you got jokes. Two IMs the same weekend? I think I’d die.

Nat—good luck tomorrow

Andrew—I don’t actually know what is next. I’m not sure. My fall trip to Egypt is in question this year, so I was maybe thinking of Clash Daytona HIM. I mentioned it to my wife this afternoon and the string of colorful words that came out of that woman was impressive.

For me…today I took a walk. Nothing big or fancy, just about 30’ in the heat. Jet lag has taken a giant bite out of my butt today, so I thought to be kind to myself.
2024-08-30 5:11 PM
in reply to: #5289721

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
And happy Fathers Day, Andrew!
2024-08-31 3:24 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

A well-executed 5K this morning in humid soup...that is, until with .4 miles left I caught the edge of the MUP and rolled my effing ankle, went down in a heap, got road rash from a run LOL.  Was on pace for about 25:45 until I crumpled up for about 15 seconds, realized "hey I've rolled this ankle like 100 times, get up and start running again" which I did (slowly at first, then kicked sorta-one-legged to finish).  26:25. 

So I sprained my ankle/foot and got road rash running in a straight line with no one around me.  To be fair, was getting into the pain cave part of the race but jeez. 

Good news while swollen I've done far worse to it playing volleyball and basketball, so I think maybe a few days babying it and a little rehab and I'll be fine.  I'll make a morning decision on my planned swim but I should be able to ride.

Idiot. 

2024-08-31 4:24 PM
in reply to: #5289722

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
lol, Mike! Feel better soon. And take solice in the fact that at least you didn’t take anyone down with you!

Were there spectators?
2024-08-31 5:08 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove lol, Mike! Feel better soon. And take solice in the fact that at least you didn’t take anyone down with you! Were there spectators?

LOL no it was a parkrun.  So no spectators other than the normal MUP users and fellow "competitors".  I did get a kudos from a lady that saw the whole thing behind me for getting up and HTFU'ing the way to the finish bleeding and sorta sprinting on one and half legs.  LOL

Conversation immediately after..."they have a first aid kit over there if you need it...me:  nah I'm good rolled this ankle a million times...no I mean your elbow and knee"

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 136

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 1036 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland