General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Be Iron Fit (Run training) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-20 10:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Singapore
Subject: Be Iron Fit (Run training)

From previous posts,  I understand alot of the BTers are going to follow this program.  I am intending to follow this with some tweaks. 

However,  I realised that the training calls for 4 days of running each week in the Base phase and 5 days a week in the Build phase.  From my own experience,  my body cannot take this kind of volume. To me ANY running is just additional punishment for the body especially since running is the sport with the greatest chance of getting an injury.

I wonder what you the rest of you think.  Personally I'm going to swim and bike much more than I run.

2004-11-20 11:00 AM
in reply to: #84898

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
Subject: RE: Be Iron Fit (Run training)
My view is that I still need to run, even though it is my least favorite..becuase of one factor...after the 2.4 mile swim and the 112 mile bike...I still have to run 26.2 miles...dead tired!  So I need to be the strongest in the run.   Now as for the injury part of your comment, I agree.  I just recovered from an overuse injury (stress fracture).  I am worried about this as well..again!  But from what I have read, most of my injuries could have been attributed to bad form or trying to do too much too fast.  This time I am going to trust the HR training, which I know will have me running much slower at the start, but this will then give me time to work on cadence and better form.  Gonna have to check the ego at the door, but I think this will allow me to do all the training, including the run and stay much healthier druing the process.  One can only hope!  Good luck!
2004-11-20 12:00 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago
Hey Cav....way to go!!!! Running in your correct heart rate zones takes discipline...something I know for a fact you do not lack!

It seems to really suck at first, but believe me (and BP) that it really does work. Why reinvent the wheel right?
2004-11-20 12:55 PM
in reply to: #84927

User image

Extreme Veteran
Singapore

Man,  all you people with a coach are getting me jealous =p

I totally understand that training zones by HR and all. But looking at the Be Iron Fit program,  the running volume is still too much for me I think.  More importantly,  I think additional bike training will benefit the run as well. 

Do you guys think I can make it with just 3 runs a week?  I'm thinking of doing 1 middle distance run,  and 2 bricks(1 short and 1 long) a week.

2004-11-20 1:34 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I tend to agree with Cav on this.  I am an avid cyclist and occasional runner who got interested in triathlons.  My favourite discipline, of course, is cycling and my least favourite is swimming.  It stands to reason that I should devote more training time on swimming because I am already fairly adept at cycling.  Therefore, I schedule at least 3 swim sessions per week along with two to three run sessions, and at least one cycling session to maintain my cadence.  This is my off-season schedule; from May to end of October, I cycle at least 5 times a week as I commute to work on my bike.
2004-11-21 11:43 AM

User image

Ames, Iowa
I'm using the beIRONfit training program to prepare for the IMOO next September, as it makes a great deal of sense to me. Since IMOO is more than 30 weeks away, I am using the base period schedule to stay in shape until I start the program. So I am a novice at ironman-distance training.

That said, as someone who has gotten involved in triathlons after running 15 or so marathons in the past few years, I think the beIRONfit running workouts seem short to me. In ramping up to run just a marathon, I usually do at least three or four runs in the three hour range. Without that capability, I can't imagine how it would be possible to run a marathon without breaking down after a 2.4 mile swim and a 112 mile bike ride.

One of the ways I plan to deviate from the beIRONfit plan is to continue my habit of a long Sunday run, usually in the two hour range. But we'll see if I am able to continue to do so when I get into the more intense training periods later.

Also, I am doing a bit more work on the bike, staying within the recommended heart-rate zones, because that is my considerably weaker event.

Anyway, it seems to me that the ability to run marathon-length distances without a great deal of distress is a necessary foundation for doing an ironman.

But again, the above is all speculation on my part, as I am most definitely in the beginner category here. As such, I'm interested in what others think.

2004-11-25 4:37 AM

User image

Veteran
London, UK

I'm not following the BeIronFit plan but I am currently in base training and because running is my weakest discipline I try to run 4 times a week. It seemed tough at first, and when I first increased the number of sessions I reduced the mileage of each session so as to keep my weekly mileage stable because, like you, I was concerned about injury and the additional stress on my body. So my shortest run of the week was just 1 mile at first, then I went up to 2 miles but cut another mile off another session. Now my body has adjusted to the number of sessions I'm gradually increasing weekly mileage and I feel so much stronger than before. My running times have improved and, more important to me at this stage in training, I'm enjoying the running a lot more - it no longer feels like I'm stressing my body.    

2004-12-02 8:41 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
hi everyone. don't forget about the attention one must give to cycling training, both from an endurance perspective and muscular endurance. cycling is the #1 sport to increase endurance in training w/much less risk to injury v. running. also, cycling endurance translates into running endurance as well. the marathon won't matter much in an IM unless you can arrive there feeling decent from spending 8-11 hours on the saddle for a first time IM.
2005-01-21 10:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
In my opinion, not that it is worth much, I would make sure you cover your running training adequately or not you may pay the price during the race. I think you can do this by less running days than what your plan has scheduled. Everybody has different tolerances with workouts and following a book format may not be the best for you.

I have a problem with injuries also from too many day of running in a row. Two years ago I was training for the Crater Lake Marathon, top 10 hardest marathons in the nation. My shins just would not hold up to the training punishment. This is what I did: I ran every other day, but really made the run count when I did run. This consisted of doing intervals or thresholds on the same day as covering some good distance. On easy days I would stay off the pavement and rode the bike. I had success.

Biking cannot take the place of running or the other way around. Specificity, what I preach alot, is a key to success.

Another suggestion would be to Aquajog on one of those scheduled run days. This eliminate one day of pounding.

Randy

PS: I have never done an Ironman so take my advice lightly.

2005-01-21 10:49 AM

User image

Elite
Chicago
Not to hijack this thread, but the IM race is something not to be taken lightly (not that anyone here is...).

In that regard, injuries are more prevelant in self-coached first time IM athletes because they do not know how to adjust their training when/if they get injured and also tend to increase volume to quickly.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you really have an issue about running (as is the topic of this thread) would getting to the starting line of your IM race of choice be worth $1,000 to you?

I mean, if you got injured and couldn't race your IM race of choice would you turn back time and spend $1,000 over say a 9 month period so that you could get to the iM race injury free and WELL prepared to do your best?

If your answer is YES, then I strongly advise getting a coach so that you can utilize their experience in figuring out the best combination of volume on the bike, runnning, and in the pool to avoide injury and have a good IM experience.

Just something to consider for all of those IM 1st timers who are self-coached...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Be Iron Fit (Run training) Rss Feed