Mississippi Track Club
48F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 23m 9s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5 am. Had a hammer gel, some bread, and some water. Yep, that was all. Did some stretching. Got the race gear on and drove in. I parked at my parents church, where they were helping with the "kids zone." It as a place where the kids of the runners could go play on a bunch of inflatables while the parents ran. Anyway, most people parked at a football stadium about two blocks from the start. Very convenient.
Event warmup:

I didn't do much of anything. Just a bunch of stretching really.
Run
  • 2h 23m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I had fun, and that's what I look for in the running events. I have always been a slow, weak runner, and I also have three screws in my right knee. This course really challenged me. I never thought I wouldn't finish, but I knew I was going to have to gut it out to do so. It left me satisfied with my performance, and very pleased with the organization and race overall.

The weather was great, other than the wind on some sections. 50ish I would guess, and overcast skies. Pretty lucky, since January in Mississippi can give you anywhere between 20 and 75 degree temps.

Still, most importantly, I had fun. Before the race at the expo, during the race, and after the race as well. There was a big stage set up for a blues concert following the race, but I had seen and talked to all my friends, so I came home to fill out the race report, sleep, and hopefully watch some football.
What would you do differently?:

Train better. The holidays got in the way big time, and that led to me nearly hitting a wall around mile 11. Other than that, I had a pretty good run considering how difficult I found the course to be.
Post race
Warm down:

Three beers, a slice of pizza, and a sandwhich. Yep, that's it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The hills and my lapse in training. I had actually gotten a ten miler in about three weeks ago on some rollers, but nothing like what I just ran through.

Event comments:

As for the overall course based on my ability option, I picked just right, because too hard is to severe. I'd say this was about the hardest course I would ever like to do. Definitely the hardest I've done to date. For a much better runner, it wouldn't be a good course for a PR, but it would be a pretty good challenge I would think.

As for the other categories (organized, volunteers, drink stations, activities, post race), yes doesn't even begin to cover it. And it was the INAUGURAL Mississippi Blues Marathon/Half Marathon. That's right, the very first one, and it was one of the best run events I've done. I'm so happy about that, too. When they announced this, I knew this could be a great event for the city, but I was somewhat skeptical about how it would turn out with it being the first one ever. The Mississippi Track Club put on a marathon for a bunch of years on the Natchez Trace, and the highest number of participants was 200. This year, after the reorganiztion and move, they had to cap the half marathon at 1500 and the marathon filled up at the expo. I'm amazed at the turnout, amazed at how well run it was, and amazed at how much fun I had.

It was a great course that challenged me. A great group of volunteers. Great organization. Great post race. Great everything.

Can you tell that I liked this one a little?

Last updated: 2007-12-13 12:00 AM
Running
02:23:09 | 13.1 miles | 10m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: The course started in Fondren. A section of the city that has a lot of art galleries, restaurants, and niche shops. It's undergone a revitalization during the past 5 years and is a very cool place. It made a loop then headed toward downtown, back through Belhaven (an old historic neighborhood), and then finished back in Fondren. The course was HILLY. Rollers mostly, with a few sharp inclines and declines. There were about two (that I can remember) LONG, steady inclines. One was directly into a head wind and took a lot out of me. Overall, while very challenging (especially for me, a fairly poor runner), it was a beautiful run that was laid out well. Every intersection was manned by a cop or a volunteer, and there was PLENTY of water and gatorade at every station. The stations were about 1.5 miles apart.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-01-05 11:57 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Subject: Mississippi Blues Marathon

2008-01-05 3:21 PM
in reply to: #1135771

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Mississippi Blues Marathon
Wow sesh! What a wonderful race for you--and it really is all about the fun. That's still plenty fast for a hilly half mary, though!
2008-01-05 4:45 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Sorry about the mixup on the Pensacola race, but you did a fine job on this one!

2008-01-06 12:36 AM

User image

Australia
Great run - & great the event went so well!
2008-01-07 7:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Great race! My wife and I flew in from New Mexico and did the full marathon and had a great time. I actually did PR on this course but I agree it is not one where you should expect a PR, tough course!
2008-01-07 8:45 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-01-07 12:31 PM

Expert
Madison, MS
Congrats on a great run! You were right! It WAS a hilly course! Very challenging, I thought. I switched to the half (and to the organizer's great credit, they switched me no questions asked) after a few weeks of very lackluster training, and I'm glad I did. It would've been very ugly if I had to go another 13.1 miles. Phew. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mississippi Blues Marathon Rss Feed