Addison Midday Rotary
63F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 49m 53s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 26-29 F
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I had the logical meal Friday night of Mexican food - ha! Early to bed, and actually I didn't have to get up all that early. Got up, got all dressed for it to be the normal 40F outside, and I literally had to come back inside and change. I looked on the web and saw that it was already 50F, but I figured I'd need layers anyway. Nope. Tech t-shirt and running shorts it was.

I did this race with my boss since the company was one of the contributors. We were invited to donate by a client, and since he's recently gotten back into running and he knows I'm all about sports, he signed us up. So I got there fairly early to meet up with him, his wife, and his two kids (4 and 18 months). We checked in, got his kids balloons, bears, and stickers, and then we headed outside. The wind was really gusty, and despite the sun being out in full force, it was fairly chilly due to the wind.
Event warmup:

I ran around a bit with my boss' son. He likes to pretend he's in the race and have me cheer for him as he runs circles in the grass. It's cute. Then I realized I needed a real warmup or even a training pace would hurt. So I went for a light jog along the first part of the course. The wind was vicious! For about the first quarter mile, it was a straight-on head wind. Great. Then I find out that the course is two loops of the 5K course, which is an EXCITING out-and-back course... so I get to run the same road 4 times. Awesome.
Run
  • 49m 53s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I thought I died a lot more than my splits show. It was painful to get going. I know my first mile was around 7:30, and it sure felt like it was all downhill from there. I guess I shouldn't be disappointed, because now that I think about it, I think that's my best 10K time - right at 8:00/mile pace. So it makes a little more sense that it was fairly tough. I'm not sure why I always think that running fast won't hurt. Huh. My legs didn't really feel like the limiter - it felt more like I didn't want to pass out. I suppose the heart rate accurately reflects that. I'm pooped.
What would you do differently?:

I'm not really sure. Warmup a little more, and at a slower pace. Not start out so fast.
Post race
Warm down:

Um, none. Playing with my boss' kids, getting pizza and beer and a banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I need to do more speedwork.

Last updated: 2008-01-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:49:53 | 06.21 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
HR went nuts today - Avg = 190, Max = 200 first 5K = 24:28 second 5K = 25:25
Course: A relatively boring 2 loops of an out-and-back course. Involving 4 rounds of the Addison bridge - yuck!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-01-05 4:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Subject: Resolution Run

2008-01-06 7:36 AM
in reply to: #1136156

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: RE: Resolution Run

Great run!!! Congrats on the AG win!! Awesome splits as well, way to go! Don't worry too much about your HR, mine tends to do the same thing at some races. I was able to control it yesterday but usually race day adrenaline takes over!

Great race and great report! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Resolution Run Rss Feed