Trail Dawgs
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 15m 32s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate ew omelette, pineapple, Clif Bar, drank Ensure, water. Drank Accelerade 20 min before start.
Kind of a late start (9:00) to this race, so I had time to throw my stuff in the truck and wasn't rushed.
Event warmup:

Pee'd a few times, stretched, walked around. Not much. Figured I'd warm up on the trail.
Run
  • 5h 15m 32s
  • 30.07 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

This event had many elements of an adventure race. It was more than just a run. It was chilly staring out, but not too cold. Pretty ideal conditions. The ground was frozen, which was a blessing, becuase the dirt was firm and not sloppy. The trade off was that you had to be careful not to twist an ankle on the bike ruts and horse tracks.
The course was very interesting. There were some old brick and stone buildings in the woods. There were stone bridges, one covered bridge. Some streams you had to jump across, others pick your way across on stones, and quite a few 2x4 "bridges". One stream crossing was a bridge made from a large tree - cut in half length-wise, with steps made from tree sections.
I felt good starting out and the field quickly seeded themselves - there was a pack ahead of me and a big pack behind. The scenery kind of blurred together over the 5.25hrs, so I can't remember much of what happened when. In addition, I had to concentrate on the 10+ ft of ground ahead of me more than the surroundings to keep from tripping or torquing an ankle. The first event of note occurred at around mile 7-8 at an underpass, which had ice in it. You had to stick to the sides to avoid slipping or getting wet socks. Well, I had one more step to go before I'm on dry ground and, WHAM! I went down hard. It took me a minute to get myself together, but I walked it off and kept on trucking. I could tell that I was going to have a nasty bruise on my right knee, but I later found out that I lost some skin on both knees and my left ankle.
The balls of my feet started hurting early on, maybe around mile 10. Not a good sign, but I'm used to it and it was manageable. What bugged my feet the worst was running through the meadows. The grass clumps were frozen, so footing was very uneven.
I forget when I walked the first hill, but it was a harbinger of things to come. My legs started getting fatigued and walking became more and more a part of the process. It was a bit addicting. I constatntly had to remind myself to HTFU and start running when I reached flat ground. Dawdling a aid stations was another guilty pleasure. After mile 20, I told myself I'd run 3 miles, then walk while I took a gel or a bite of Promax bar. It turned out to be a little uneven, but I kept setting short term goals, which was tough to do because I was afraid the course was going to long. At the second aid station, a lady there said she was at mile 14, but my Garmin read 15.25. It was funny how at every aid station people were always comparing mileage readings. I was at mile 22, and one guy had over 25 miles! there were sections where it was easy to get off course. That happened to me once, but I was lucky that I heard some racers behind and turned around to see them heading in a different direction. I returned the favor when a group missed a turn and was about to re-do a trail section.
At mile 22 I noticed a rather painful blister on my right little toe. Why didn't I even think about moleskin?! At 26.2 miles I happened to notice my time of 4:27 was 1:12 slower than my OBX marathon time! At mile 28 I realized that I was not going to break 5 hrs. I had no time goals, but didn't think it was going to take me this long. I kept motivating myself to run by saying, "The quicker I get done, the quicker I get to Coldstone" (irony alert) and just simply reminding myself to HTFU. Everything hurt, but I had to get done. I was running with several guys and was content to let them set the pace and we chatted a bit (2 of the lunatics were doing the Massanutten 100!). Before I knew it, I recognized that we were coming up on the parking lot that was the finish line! The course turned out to be short by a mile, but I didn't care - this was my longest run and my most challenging by far.
What would you do differently?:

More trails, more miles, more walking in the beginning.
Post race
Warm down:

Hobbled around and drank my Endurox.
So, on my way home, I planned on indulging in treat from a Coldstone in Elkton, and, as mentioned earlier, I had used this as a carrot during the race to keep pushing. Well, they were closed! Sigh. Thank goodness for the DQ in Middleton. Yummy enough for plan B.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and experience on this surface.

Event comments:

Hard to rate this race. It was free and you get what you pay for. Bare bones operation. The course was, at times inadequately marked, but overall well enough. Except for one, aid stations were cardboard boxes with goodies left in the woods and water jugs. IMHO, this was not a first timers course for those wishing to go ultra. Not for the faint of heart, but, then again, I have no other experience with this type of race. Definitely a cat of a different stripe.

Last updated: 2008-01-06 12:00 AM
Running
05:15:32 | 30.07 miles | 10m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Pace varied wildly. 8:13-15:57
Course: A little bit of everything. Lots of single track trails, across meadows, rocks, roots, stream crossings, underpasses, overpasses, gravel roads, even climbing. Four self serve aid stations.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-01-06 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Subject: PHUNT 50K

2008-01-06 10:58 AM
in reply to: #1136995

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: PHUNT 50K
Wow, awesome race!! Great job!!!
2008-01-06 5:58 PM
in reply to: #1137040

Champion
South Jersey

Great job, congratulations .

Oh, and I say you still deserve to have Cold Stone when they open .

2008-01-06 6:09 PM

User image

Elite
Reston VA

Z5!! Great race! Congrats on really pushing it when things didn't go quite as you expected!

So are there any other ultras in your future?

And I am sure this run has you a leg up in the weight challenge

2008-01-06 6:20 PM
in reply to: #1137519

User image

Elite
New City, New York
So your next marathon will be a piece of cake! Way to takle a challenge. Sounds cool to do something out of the norm. Congrats!
2008-01-06 6:46 PM

User image

Master
SMIBville
Epic race report!  Congrats on your first ultra!

2008-01-07 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
EPIC!  (Epic-ly CRAZY!!!!)  Awesome job, Glenn.  That's a heck of a start to the year!
2008-01-07 3:24 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Congratulations ultra man!!  Great race report... sounds like a tough course.  I'm sorry about the Cold Stone (like my heart) debacle but glad you had a Plan B.  It's funny the things that motivate people out there .
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » PHUNT 50K Rss Feed