BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Canadian athlete- closed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2008-01-17 5:25 PM
in reply to: #1155393

New user
Subject: RE: Tiggerbounce
tiggerbounce - 2008-01-14 12:40 PM

I used to live on my bike (20 years ago!!!) and I was a strong swimmer with some lifeguard training. I ran because my drill sgt told me to, heh! Recently I have been limitted to walkind and stationary biking and some yoga. My goal is to follow the 22 week program for the tri/sprint. Starting today of course. Headed to the gym to the treadmill, may need to switch the swim days to match the pool availability though. My first major tackle is going to be improving my swimming and learning to breathe properly and work on my stroke. Well, actually, my first major hurdle is just being seen in a swimsuit in public!!!!! GASP!!!!!!

Am trying to be sure to use the log here online.

Thanks for letting me be a part of the group!

Sometimes swimming has been a barrier for me like this week.... I skipped Monday's and Wed master's evening workout due to rest and got myself into the pool this am only to find out it's closed due to a competition on Sat and Sun!!

Can you bilateral breath? That's a great skill to get down now. sort of the 1-2-3 breath count. I breath out through my nose quite a bit to regulate my breathing so it's controlled. Some people hyperventalate when swimming so get this skill down soon. Ask a lifeguard or coach at your pool for tips if needed.

I also found having good quality goggles and a cap is key. My goggles were supper faded and scratched... when I got new ones I felt inspired some how to work harder.....:-)

Happy swimming!

2008-01-18 1:24 PM
in reply to: #1140785

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Canadian athlete- closed!
Hi again - my apologies for disappearing for a few days! I was having some computer issues But I'm back now and here's a bit about me!

My name is Meg and I am just finishing up my degree in Recreation and Health Education from UVic. I've only got 3 classes left - yahoo! I'm currently doing one class online and will do the last two in May. I can't believe I'm almost done! I'm so excited! I currently live and work in a city called Nanaimo (hence the online classes) and coordinate a youth volunteer program. Its a super fun job and I'm learning a lot. I even have an office! (SOOO cool!) My boyfriend is a substitute teacher who has done 2 tri's with me, and together we have a small (wonderful) rabbit named Sophie. (see avatar).

I've been doing triathlons since 2006 and have completed four (UBC Short in '06 and '07, and Qualicum Beach sprint - LOVE this race - in '06 and '07). I would have liked to race more both years, but at the time(s) I was going to school full time, so the cost associated with registering and travelling prevented me from doing so. But now that I have a little more disposable income I'm hoping to expand my triathlon reprotoire!

I'm not super fast at any of the events, but have come a long way from where I started Here's an overview:

SWIM: For an example of improvement, the first year I did UBC my swim and T1 time was 20 minutes, and last year it was 14 minutes. That was good enough to be the 31st fastest time of the women (out of 113)!! I am still so proud of that! I used to hate swimming, but now (after taking a class and learning better form/gaining some endurance) I find it pretty relaxing. Unfortunatley, I haven't been in the pool since June, so I am likely out of shape!

BIKE: In terms of cycling, I didn't own a car until July 2007, so the last 3 or 4 years I've been a cycle and bus commuter. I can't climb for the life of me, and I'm not a speed machine, but I think I have decent endurance. I just bought a road bike in October so I'm hoping I can get out there and work on it some more. If nothing else, I'm sure I'll FEEL faster!

RUNNING: As for running, that was where I really started with all of this...before I ever thought of doing a tri, before I became a cyclist, I ran. Not fast and not far, but I had at least some experience there, and thought it would serve me well. But unfortunatley it seemed like I always fell apart at the end of the races, running at a snails pace! So that was the area I kind of tried to work on last year, and so in addition to UBC and Qualicum, I decided to do a few road races. I did the Royal Victoria 8K in Oct. 2006, then 2 local 10k's in Nanaimo. Then, in October 2007, I did the Royal Victoria Half Marathon! WHOOOOOT! It was tough, but I did it And the finishers medal hangs proudly on my wall!

I've been sick a fair amount this year (stomach issues), but it looks like we're finally getting closer to some answers after months of tests. As I've felt worse (and been super busy with my job and classes) my motivation has taken a nosedive, and my weight has started to climb. I really want to get back out there, training and racing again for my health and for fun! I hope being a part of this group will help me with that, as I try to get faster and race strong.

(this is getting really long! yikes! I'll wrap it up quickly)

GOALS (short-ish term)
- lose 10-15 lbs
- run more quickly (instead of just forever), currently aiming for sub 6min/km.
- increase swim endurance and speed (maybe 2 min/100m for 400m straight, for starters)
- start doing flip turns more consistenetly to help with above goal
- use my expensive bike enough to make it worth the $ I spent, and work on speed and hills
- up my race distances (full sprints and maybe an Oly)
- run a marathon
- place in the top 3 of my AG at Qualicum

Longer term, I'd like to do a half ironman (maybe next September in Sooke), and then a full Ironman. (I got to see Ironman Canada this year and I was SO inspired!) But we'll see what the future holds for me

Phew! Finally done! Thanks for reading all of that! I try to keep my logs up to date, so surf by whenever you like. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone else in the group and working together to reach our goals!!! We can do it!

Cheers,

Meg
2008-01-18 4:58 PM

Regular
andrea

running 5 miles seem like a dream come true!
I hate to run and today actually got up to 2 miles and was so proud of myself.
I am training to do a sprint, what distance are you doing?

Lisa
2008-01-18 10:17 PM

Regular
I too hate to run but made it to 3miles without stopping tonight for the first time and then walked another mile before my flakey achilles tendon started acting up again. Plus, I felt like I was going to hurl (ran too soon after eating). I can't wait until I can do 5 miles without stopping - That would be a lifetime record for me - I can't even imagine it yet.

I bought a used Specialized road bike but it doesn't fit my old trainer so it sits and waits for me in the garage while I wait for a different trainer I ordered off ebay. The bike at the gym kills my bottom so I want to ride at home. Also ordered a Terry zero x seat - I'll let you know if I like it after I get everything up and running.

Tomorrow am I am set to start swimming. I think I will alternate between crawl and breast stroke (my favorite) I haven't really trained since swim team in jr high which was eons ago so I know my swimming muscles are out of shape. I am going to try to stay in the pool for an hour - we'll see. The worst part will be the bathing suit - maybe I'll wear shorts!

Thanks to all who have posted - I find your stories/goals inspirational - I't's going to be a great year!

Corinne

2008-01-19 6:53 AM

New Jersey
I will be doing at least 4 sprints this summer, I know I won't be able to resist. My tri club puts on non-race sprints, so you can just use it as a brick workout and lots of people use them as their first, because there's no pressure. I do them just because it's so fun.

Mostly I'm training for the NJ Tri, olympic distance. Last year I found out I was within a few minutes of the top 5 women on the bike portion, so this year I'd like to be in the top 5. I had a really great lifting and cycling plan going, but my physical therapist said I couldn't do any of it yet. Every time I'm in there, I bargain for more. They gave me my planks back on wednesday, this week I'm gonna try to get back squats and deadlifts (or at least a few leg presses!)

This week has been super crappy, very little sleep, and really stressful days. I missed spinning on friday morning, something about going to bed at 12 and getting up at 5 just doesn't work for me.
Today I've got fencing practice all morning (i coach) and then I'll get in a 4-5 mile run, and then tomorrow fencing meets all day and maybe a 2-3 mile run with I get home.

Next I will focus on becoming the machine I know I can be.
2008-01-19 9:12 PM
in reply to: #1165276

User image

Extreme Veteran
ihaveagluestick - 2008-01-19 4:53 AM

Next I will focus on becoming the machine I know I can be.

Between this quote and your BT screen name, you just made my day!!! You go, girl!

2008-01-20 12:21 PM
in reply to: #1164371

New user
Megs,
Lots going on! I can relate to stomach problems - do yours happen to do with yeast problems?
Sounds like you have your plans all straightened out. A good rolling hills workout is my fav once I can get outside- I like a 45 min sort of ride where you find a few hills varying in size and then finish off with a cool down.... doing that kind of workout 1-2x per week can really improve your hill ability.... either that or I do a video indoors similating hill repeats on my trainer.... making sure i have enough rest!

Heather

2008-01-20 12:32 PM
in reply to: #1166387

New user
Ok Ladies.....

Here I am supposed to be a model of triathloning..... I pulled my quads but my lesson to myself is hill videos are great but don't go so hard!! I also realized foam rollers are my friend (they are a piece of foam you can roll on to self massage achy muscles).

Today I'm going to attempt some low impact x-country skiing...... Swimming tomorrow and away we go!!

PS: have any of you ever done a no wheat, dairy, corn type of diet due to food sensitivities? I just started this recently.....message me if you have..

Have a great week girls.... I'm trying my best to read your logs... Keep posting and working out...

Heather
2008-01-20 2:25 PM

Regular
oh no Heather.
Our leader can't be down!
Take it easy this week and get yourself feeling better

Lisa
2008-01-21 9:31 PM
in reply to: #1166481

New user
I'll be happy to note that I had a great x-country ski yesterday in beautiful blue skies. If you have never tried x-country skiing you should as it is great x-training for biking muscles especially. I really enjoyed the low impact aspect as my leg was happy to glide instead of pound on the treadmill.

Today i'm walking normally and it's off to Masters....... I am going to reward myself with some nice smelling shower stuff and lotion afterwards. It's always good to create rewards for yourself ladies.

FYI if you heard about the plastic water bottle scandal and want stainless steell for less my husband just bought me one for under $10 Canadian for a 750ml (or like 3 cups) It costs more than $25 in my city for one of those so I was super happy. it's from probikekit. com or something.. They also have other things you may want for less as well.

Happy training this week. Work through your time barriers and get er done!

Heather
2008-01-23 9:45 AM
in reply to: #1168916

Regular
Heather

I like your idea of rewarding ourselves for the hard work.
I rewarded myself today for swimming with 10 min in the sauna.
It was heavenly getting so hot when it is 13 degrees outside!

thanks for the great idea!
hope everyone is having a good week!

Lisa

2008-01-24 12:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am slowly getting back into the swing of things Took yesterday completley off as I headed down island for a job interview (which went well!). Today instead of running I played some ball hockey with my BF - it was intense, but fun!

Heather - great tip for the stainless water canisters! They are super expensive! Hope everyone is doing great!
2008-01-24 5:21 PM

Regular
Belvidere, IL
Heather,

I didn't know it until today, but I have been in another mentor group also! The first day I found this site I asked to be in a group and didn't think I got a response, but in fact, i did. (That's when I tried your group). I didn't know how to check for a reply! So, I respectfully withdraw myself from your group so that you can re-open it if you need to. Thank you very much for the advice you've given me so far. I really appreciate it...it takes alot of committment and without people like yourself, us newbies would be completely lost. Good luck to you and to the group!!!

Sandy

2008-01-25 11:38 AM

Regular
I have a question for those of you who have already done a tri.
What time would be average for a newbie to finish a sprint tri?
My workout buddy keeps asking me and I don't know.
I don't care about my time and just want to finish it.
she obviously cares about time.
I guess age matters also.
I am 45.

thanks for any guidance.

Lisa
2008-01-25 11:43 PM
in reply to: #1175964

New user
Your best bet is to look up the tri you are thinking about doing and check out other's previous year's times in your age group. I do that now before each race as each course is different. About an hour and a half is average I think.....

How is everyone doing?? This group is so quiet! Please keep sharing your thoughts, ideas, complaints, concerns...... etc...

oh and goodbye to snady...she's off to another group...

Heather
2008-01-26 4:46 PM
in reply to: #1176978

New user

In another forum someone asked what the best pre workout breakfasts are so I thought I would copy this post and put it here too:

Here's my favourites:

Generally under 300 cals

toast, half banana, peanut buter

semi-whole grain cereal and soy milk (or cow's milk) (one serving only like 3/4 cup)

oatmeal, soy milk, raisens.... added protein here will take longer to digest

yogurt, granola

yogurt, banana, dry cereal like a rice cereal

rice cakes, honey and peanut butter was what I had before swim this AM with less than 30 minutes to go. Other than the peanut butter sticking in my mouth I did not regurtitate it so it's a pass. If a food passes the pool workout test then it's a go.

Heather

2008-01-27 3:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Sorry I've been away for a while. I've been manic with work but I'm hoping to change things this week - fingers crossed. I'll catch up with the posts tomorrow and promise to start to respond and log again! Apologies for the absence!
2008-01-29 6:38 AM

New Jersey
Finally I have a chance for my post for LAST week

Monday- 4 mile treadmill run, under 9:30 each (!), and PT
Tuesday- Swim and spin- 110m and an hour
Wednesday- 6 mile treadmill run, ~9:40 each and, PT
Thursday- Splash and dash- 1050m and 3 "easy" treadmill miles at ~10:00, and fencing practice
Friday- Spin class
Saturday- Run from New Hampshire to Maine (only 6 miles, but sounds cooler that way)
Sunday- Running around with the fencing team but no actual workouts (thank goodness)

How are the rest of you ladies doing? On par with your plans?
Has anyone figured out how to work in yoga and weight lifting in addition to all their workouts and normal life?
I'd like to get them in, but I'd have to cut my rest day and that's not happening
2008-01-29 9:44 PM
in reply to: #1181115

New user
Nice to see you again! Is there any reason why you don't have a log we can view?

About Yoga and weight training. Right now if you are pre season some people can fit in full body weight training 3x a week but I personally can fit it in 2x. I usually pair it with a shorter cardio say a 45 min bike and weights or a run and weights. You also have fencing so I don't know if you have room. At the bare basics try for 3-4 core exercises 2-3x a week.

Happy training!

Heather
2008-01-30 7:07 AM
in reply to: #1182866

New Jersey
Well I get in tons of core work at physical therapy (PT) twice a week and I do it once more a week on my own. They've got me doing some really cool proprioceptive moves. It's sorta funny to see how weak the one side of my back is, I'll do something with my right side perfectly, hold it like a statue, then my left side can barely get my limbs up and then they shake. It's getting better every time though.
My main problem is, if I add in another workout to most days, I won't get enough time to sleep. As it is, I tend to get home with just enough time eat before I go to bed.

I've never tried to make my log public or private so it's just setup however they automatically set it.
2008-01-31 8:11 AM
in reply to: #1183203

New Jersey
I have fixed my logs so that they may now be properlly ogled

2008-01-31 8:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phew, I'm back Life has gotten a bit busy at the moment, but it is definetly a good thing! The very quick update: My BF got a job as a teacher (whoot!) and my boss and I got word that we are moving to a brand new office. I've also been browsing the job postings nearby and went for an interview last week (still haven't heard back). I'm getting really excited to be done my degree!! It looks like there are some cool oppurtunities. Can't wait!

Unfortunatley, my training has been pretty much non-existant. I am hoping to get into a better routine starting on Monday (when BF has to start his job) - we're going to get up together so I can run in the mornings. (No more sleeping in!!) I really really need to get into the pool again, as well, so I am hoping that with a run out of the way in the morning, I can zip to the pool on my way home from work and get a swim workout in. With any luck, I should be getting back on track shortly...

2008-01-31 9:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oh -

I think I forgot to mention this in my original "about me" post, but I perform as a semi-professional magician's assistant in my spare time. Quirky, I know, but really, really fun!

Anyway, as you probably are aware, assistants often wear small-ish outfits. Unfortuantley, since running the 1/2 marathon in October, I haven't done much and I've gained about 10lbs (and trust me, the scene when I got on the scale this morning was not a pretty one). I need to work on losing that pretty quickly, and I need some help. Obviously, training on a regular basis again is going to help. But I am open to any new suggestions!!

I think my nutrition is pretty yucky and is what actually needs the biggest makeover. I'm working hard on developing some better eating habits (starting by eating breakfast every day and cutting out drive through fast food), but I am struggling with finding appetizing snack food that is a) delicious b) quick and c) travels well. (I'm in my car and on the go lots) I've made up some bags of trail mix to bring with me, but am already bored with it. Anyone have any great ideas that have worked for them?

Thanks group! You are all wonderful

Meg

PS - I am lactose intolerant, but still sneak cheese whenever I have the chance.

Edited by Princess_Megz 2008-01-31 9:07 PM
2008-02-01 3:07 PM
in reply to: #1188022

New Jersey
Meg,
I've been meaning to think of stuff you can eat easily, cause I often have to eat the same way. But I haven't had enough time to sit down and think. Maybe this weekend, especially since I have some really cool new books with good ideas.

Andrea
2008-02-01 6:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks Andrea -

I'm finding it super tough. I LOVE my Shape magazines, and they sometimes have good suggestions, so I'll sit down with my old ones this weekend too and see if there is anything. I'll post what I find!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Canadian athlete- closed! Rss Feed  

of 5