of 5

2008-02-20 3:48 AM
in reply to: #1140785

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Subject: RE: Canadian athlete- closed!
Hi all,

Thanks for the advice, the weight loss programme I'm following is Scottish Slimmers, similar to Weight Watchers but easier to calculate. It's a basic calorie counting approach with additional nutritional guidance and allowa about 1200 - 1800 a day depending on your current weight.

In terms of doctors and physio, I have recieved physio in the past for my back and my knees and I know the types of exercise I need to do. I'm just rubbish at remembering when I'm not in pain. I have slight hyperflexibility in my joints and I am tall so I have lower back pain caused by posture. I also need to build up my supporting muscles in my knees as they are weak. I am trying to keep up with the swimming but will incorporate the walking/speed walking as I need to release some of the tension in my spine and swimming just doesn''t see, to do that.

Despite all this I'm relatively fit I just need to take it easy on my back and knees for a while and build up my core and knees. I bought a new running jacket yesterday so fee inspired to get out and use it!

How's everyone else doing?

2008-02-21 12:23 AM
in reply to: #1201088

New user
Alright ladies I have a new idea....

I checked out another group and they all set goals for Jan and feb etc. I would like all of those who are in this group to think and then post your goals for March. How many workouts of each sport per week? Distance goals? Time spent doing a sport goal? Consistency goal? Any upcoming race goal? Health or weight loss goal?

IF all of us post our goals in this community, we then are going to encourage each other to stick with the plan. Make sure your goals are realistic and doable for you. You can also come up with a reward for accomplishing your short term goal ie: a new bike jersey, a coffee drink out, a new pair of fancy athletic socks, a massage, etc.....

I have to think about mine...will post soon. You have until Feb 29th but don't forget!!!

Heather
2008-02-22 2:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
I think the idea of goals is great and to know that others are watching how I'm going will really help me stick to it and hopefully inspire me to work harder. I'll have a good thing and get back to the group soon.
2008-02-24 9:52 AM

Regular
I think this is a great idea - especially if I can come up with a goal. Right now it would be sleeping more - I seem to be able to go asleep fine and then I wake up and lay there for the rest of the night. Husband thinks I am overtraining but I disagree Maybe tonight will be better after my run. Have a great week everyone!

Corinne
2008-02-25 7:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Corinne, do you drink any caffeinated drinks? I cut down drastically at the start of the year and am sleeping much better as a result. The other thing that's made a real difference in my life was stress as well. I had to tackle some tough issues head on to allow me to get over them but it did really make a difference. You have my every sympathy - not sleeping can so detrimental and so tough to crack. Good luck with it,

Kate
2008-02-25 3:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
My goal for March is to be more consistent with my workouts. I am aiming for 4 each week, whether they are all different or not. I need to get my body into the habit of moving again

I also would like to use March to plan my race schedule. I think this will help me refocus on training. So in March I will look ahead at races and choose (and register for) one.

Yay march!!

2008-02-28 3:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
March Goals:

- Drink 2l water everyday
- Record what I eat everyday
- Core and knee exercises - 5 days a week
- 5 training sessions a week

Reward:
If I manage this I will treat myself to a pamper day at home with no housework or homework and time spent just on me!
2008-02-28 11:46 AM

Regular
ok my goal for March:

lose 2 pounds
continue training 5x/week
be able to ride the 18 mile on the bike that I need to for my TRI

reward:
cute pink running shirt and shorts

Lisa
2008-02-29 9:11 AM

Regular
Well it's almost March so I am working on my goals. I think losing 10 lbs is probably too much so:

I will drink more water
I will keep up my 6 days a week workout except for Spring Break - we are going skiing
I will try to quicken my running pace
I will not be afraid of dogs when I run & bike alone
I will be content even when the scale doesn't move and I don't like what I see in the mirror

I hope everyone is doing well!

2008-03-01 6:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I like everyone's goals! March is going to be a great month

I hurt my knee somehow playing hockey on Wednesday, so I've been taking it easy ever since. Its slowly feeling better, but its still stiff and sore when I move it certain ways. I'm doing OK with the eating and weight loss though. I'm a bit stalled, but I'm still down, and getting closer to my shoes! How is everyone else?
2008-03-01 10:25 PM
in reply to: #1246195

New user
Great goals group!!!

Sorry I haven't been logging as much. I just got over a 5-6 day influenza virus where I was in bed for 3 days almost straight. Now i'm back into things with just a lingering cough.

My goals for March:

Do 2-3 swims per week, every week
Build up my running so I can run 12+ km on my long run by the end of the month
Get biking outside at least 1 x per week hopefully on the trainer 1x per week in addition to that and my usual spin class. It's dusty and dirty but warm enough for knee warmers etc

I've decided I'm going to build up for a Century ride in May that is 100km long. I also have a goal of going on long group rides and keep up with the pack. We have a couple of free drop in groups and sometimes (even with experience) I've been too chicken to go out with them even though they mostly have a no drop policy!!

So each week girls lets sign in at least once and let the group know how you are doing with your goals......

Happy Spring!!!

2008-03-02 12:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Not a superb start to the month as my logging has been interrupted after a weekend away but I'll go a remedy that now!!
2008-03-03 1:26 PM

Regular
HEather

I just noticed on my training log your comments.
Thank you, they are very encouraging.
I appreciate all the time you are putting into mentoring.

Lisa
2008-03-04 8:19 PM

Regular
Heather, thanks for the encouragement. I need to up my swimming a bit but am starting another schedule as three of my kids have just started playing basketball and skiing is over. It will take me a week or so to tweak it and get the schedule back in order. I am really enjoying the biking and swimming but running makes me feel like I want to puke. Don't know why, but the last two runs have been hard both mentally and physically. But I will keep on running and maybe it will pass. I did bike outside and had no fear of the dogs!!!!! Now to get a seat that I like Have a great week all.

Corinne
2008-03-05 10:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Heather - like the others have said, it's great to know someone's watching.

How's everyone doing?

I'm managing to log all I eat although I did get a bit down at the start of the week when I found I'd put on weight. Then again last week involved a lot of time away from home and disruption always has an effect on my diet. Dispite this I've managed to get back into it and it's the feeling that you're all there watching my progress that really helps.
2008-03-05 10:32 AM
in reply to: #1252883

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Slusser - stick with the running. Most of my fights with the training I do are just mental. I have 'Just do it' as a opening text on my phone so that when I'm tempted to skip training for whatever reason I just do it and get it done. Often I'm running with the idea that I don't like it but I need to do it and making it through those times is a real achievement - give yourself a pat on the back for all the mental effort you're putting in - I'm sure you'll be reaping the rewards in no time.

2008-03-05 7:55 PM

Regular
Thanks Kate - I really am learning that I can do so much more that I think I can but my worst enemy is me! Somehow I've go to get my brain "in Shape" so that it knows to stop complaining

Have a great week!
2008-03-06 10:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I can totally relate to the whole "me against myself" thing! I really like to run, but getting out the door is such a huge thing every time I go. Once I'm finished I feel great, but motivating me to actually DO it is like pulling teeth! When I can't seem to get going but know I need to I sometimes take 10 minutes and flip through one of my "Runners World" or "Triathlete" magazines, or put on some really up-beat music. Normally that helps to motivate me Keep it up with the running though - like everything, it will get easier with time!
2008-03-06 2:36 PM

Regular
thanks for all the running encouragment.
I feel just like slusser............. hate to run.
I keep waiting for that " runners high".
I don't get it.
It is getting a little easier though.
Maybe as it warms up it will be better.
2008-03-06 10:46 PM
in reply to: #1252883

New user
slusser - 2008-03-04 6:19 PM

Heather, thanks for the encouragement. I need to up my swimming a bit but am starting another schedule as three of my kids have just started playing basketball and skiing is over. It will take me a week or so to tweak it and get the schedule back in order. I am really enjoying the biking and swimming but running makes me feel like I want to puke. Don't know why, but the last two runs have been hard both mentally and physically. But I will keep on running and maybe it will pass. I did bike outside and had no fear of the dogs!!!!! Now to get a seat that I like Have a great week all.

Corinne

Try walk and runs like 10 minutes of running then 1 minute of walking. Maybe suck on some candied ginger to make you feel less sick. Also watch what you are eating before you run. Certain foods make me want to upchuck during runs and swims. I have to watch what I eat before I exercise. I keep things simple before and have a meal after.

Heather
2008-03-06 10:50 PM
in reply to: #1256252

New user
Princess_Megz - 2008-03-06 8:41 AM

I can totally relate to the whole "me against myself" thing! I really like to run, but getting out the door is such a huge thing every time I go. Once I'm finished I feel great, but motivating me to actually DO it is like pulling teeth! When I can't seem to get going but know I need to I sometimes take 10 minutes and flip through one of my "Runners World" or "Triathlete" magazines, or put on some really up-beat music. Normally that helps to motivate me Keep it up with the running though - like everything, it will get easier with time!

you remind me of me!! I used to do the same thing until I washed my IPOD in my shirt. I pulled it out of the dryer but it wasn't working anymore. Do any of you have groups you could run with or even a partner? Sometimes knowing that others are running with you the same distance etc helps.

Lately I'm takling the one side of my hips and legs are sore issue. Back to physio (from Nov) and I'm getting IMS (stimulating the muscles to relax with accupuncture kneedles) treatment which I highly recommend if you have IT band issues.

Heather

2008-03-09 7:43 PM

Regular
I do my weekly long run with my husband since he is training too. It's nice but I feel like I am holding him back - I am not fast and I can tell he is just itching to go faster. I always tell him to speed up and I will catch up but he always tells me that it's good to go slow. Too bad my "fast" is his slow It is nice though that he really makes me get out and do it. If it wasn't for him I'd still be in bed in my PJ's with a good book! Someday I am going to wake up and want to run - I can't wait until that happens, I hope it doesn't take years Have a great week ladies!

Corinne
2008-03-14 1:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
There's a women's 10k held in the city in May and a training group has just started up for it so I might check that out but I'm a bit worried that I'll get left behind!

2008-03-14 5:01 PM
in reply to: #1249328

New user
Ok guys we are almost half way through the month soooo fess up... how has the first 15-16 days gone? What went well, what do you want to improve for the second half of the month??

Here's my report:

I missed a couple of planned swims but I'm using my 2 week spring break to focus on tri training and getting my planned workouts down so that should help.

Running is coming along as I am loosing up my hip tightness and strengthening it at the same time. Ladies pilates side kicks, little circles and the kickback- oh my goodness they develop a strong gluteus medius (the side of your hips thats usually week). I had to share these exercises with a client and now do them myself.

Cycling- lots this week 4x i think.... I plan to get for my first outside ride Saturday...

If I don't hear from you guys- Happy Easter next weekend!!

Heather
2008-03-18 8:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
O.K. Update

The goals were:
- Drink 2l water everyday
- Record what I eat everyday
- Core and knee exercises - 5 days a week
- 5 training sessions a week

I've managed to drink the 2l but not water and I really need to try. I'm not doing too bad on the training but have only really been managing about 4 at most. Core and knees are something I have been missing and I'll make amends.

In terms of recording what I've eaten then I've failed miserably. I have an odd relationship with food and often when things are bad I run away instead of facing it all. The recording or lack of it is part of this. I am now feeling on top form and thoroughly inspired - a lot of this is due to signing up for my first tri of the year so hopefully the feeling will stay with me!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Canadian athlete- closed! Rss Feed  

of 5