General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Damaged but not dead!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-10 12:54 PM

SANTA MONICA
Subject: Damaged but not dead!!
OK now keep in mind peeps I'm asking but if you're telling me what I don't want to hear it's totally possible I will act like you must be talking to someone else. ;-)

I sprained my ankle a month ago. I can walk (hobble) I cannot run yet. I am doing range of motion circles with my foot, pointing and flexing it and icing/elevating it in the evenings. I just rode my bike for 35 min (on the trainer) this morning and I AM going to do IMKS 70.3!!

What I need are some suggestions on what the heck I can do nurse this along. It FEELS like it's been 4 mos of dealing with this. I have already had to sit out on a half marathon on Dec 2nd, and I have acknowledged that the LA MArathon is out also. I am NOT giving up IM KS 70.3 or my IM (Vineman) in Aug.

Let me know what you got people!!!

2008-01-10 2:22 PM
in reply to: #1148196

User image

Extreme Veteran
W. Michigan
Subject: RE: Damaged but not dead!!

I'm right in the same boat with you.  I sprained my ankle about a month ago and since the swelling/bruising/pain has gone down on that, an issue with a muscle/tendon in my calf has been unmasked.  I too can walk pretty well, but running is out of the question.  I've been on the exercise bike a couple times, but it's not the same. 

I have a PT appt in about an hour, I'll let you know if they come up with anything ground breaking.

I too am feeling the frustration, I've hardly broken a sweat in almost a month, haven't been able to play hockey in my league's playoffs and leave for Winter Park, CO on 1/19.  If I can't ski while I'm out there, I'm going to be the crabbiest drunk at the bar of each ski resort my group goes to.

2008-01-10 8:39 PM

User image

Master
Long Island, NY
I am no Doctor, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I have sprained my ankle approx 10-12 times back when I played a lot of BBall.  The main reason why I think I sprained it so many times is that I didn't let it properly heal the first time.  One time I completely blew it out walking down the street and had 2-3 other "minor" sprains just from slight "twists".  I used to soak it in Epsom salt and water as Hot as I could stand..it seemed to help.  But nothing helped more than time and good wrappings.  I had a Sports Medicine friend of mine wrap it like crazy whenever I would play and that helped a lot.  I also got a brace for a while.  A sprain is very traumatic to the ligaments around the ankle and you should give it the proper rest it needs, otherwise it may never get back to full strength.  Might be a good time to work on swimming!  Good Luck.
2008-01-12 10:17 PM
in reply to: #1149314

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
1st Timer in NY - 2008-01-10 6:39 PM

I am no Doctor, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I have sprained my ankle approx 10-12 times back when I played a lot of BBall. The main reason why I think I sprained it so many times is that I didn't let it properly heal the first time. One time I completely blew it out walking down the street and had 2-3 other "minor" sprains just from slight "twists". I used to soak it in Epsom salt and water as Hot as I could stand..it seemed to help. But nothing helped more than time and good wrappings. I had a Sports Medicine friend of mine wrap it like crazy whenever I would play and that helped a lot. I also got a brace for a while. A sprain is very traumatic to the ligaments around the ankle and you should give it the proper rest it needs, otherwise it may never get back to full strength. Might be a good time to work on swimming! Good Luck.

x2 I've done it on both ankles multiple times, playing volleyball, hiking, walking the dog... My ankles are so weak that stepping the wrong way on a small rock will trip me. I've had the right ankle in a cast 3 times for torn ligaments. Here's what I know now:

Do NOT do circle-motion exercises yet!!! You are supposed to rest the sideways ligaments for at least 8 weeks. I remember, the last time I sprained the right side, I kept it in an air-cast for that long but started running/jogging as soon as I could. You need to get the circulation going. But forwards, not sideways!

Get a good brace. A rigid one for 8 weeks, then a slightly flexible one for a year. Yes, a whole year, that's supposedly how long it takes to really grow the ligaments back to where they are stable. You don't have to wear the flexible one all the time but I'd wear it when you're on uneven terrain.

There are also exercises you can do to strengthen the ankles--once the sprain has healed. Ask your PT about those. They involve the wobbly boards you might have seen at the gym. I find them scary. My ankles are so weak I won't even try those
2008-01-14 1:38 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Sounds like you need to get some professional (in person) advice.

Tincture of time is the best healing that they taught us in medical school.
2008-01-21 3:45 PM

SANTA MONICA
THANK YOU ALL FOR THROWIN ADVICE MY WAY. I actually decided to come out of pocket and go at least once to see a physical therapist. Just get a professional opinion on how my ankle was progresssing. He said it looks much better than he expected given my decription on the phone! I'm doing strengthening exercises, 3 sets of 10 each exercise with a resistance band, balancing, toes lifts and calf raises- AND doing range of motion ABCs 2x while icing at least 3 times a day. It is MUCH stronger that I even thought so I'm in good shape! I am going to start some "power walking" in Feb. I've making a conscious effort to walk without a limp and when I'm standing still evenly distribute my weight on both legs. The PT said as long as I ease back into running, keep my compression sleeve on I should be fine for my races. YAY!! Just what I wanted to hear. So far so good. I guess this means I have to work on my frustration level and be happy that I am able to what I can right now. It could be worse!

2008-01-21 3:47 PM
in reply to: #1148455

SANTA MONICA
What did your PT say Madcap95?

Edited by Gale4s 2008-01-21 3:48 PM
2008-01-21 7:06 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
#1 reason for it to not get better is incomplete rehab.  the rehab is VERY importnat.  Get thee to a PT and get a home exercise program
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Damaged but not dead!! Rss Feed