General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Icing Knees after running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-12 7:34 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay Area
Subject: Icing Knees after running
Are there any recommendations on icing your knees after running. Does this help keep down inflamation? I would rather not take any Motrin, as I have read this is not a good thing to take on a regular basis. What are the tips and tricks to help curb the aches and pains of training and competing in a tri? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you...Joel

2008-01-12 7:40 PM
in reply to: #1152475

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: RE: Icing Knees after running

Joel, how old are you and do your knees hurt?

ice is a fantastic natural anti-inflammatory but I don't know that I would necessarily have someone do it prophylactically unless they were having issues.

2008-01-12 7:51 PM
in reply to: #1152478

Champion
South Jersey
Not just knees. Submerge your entire legs in ice (or at least cold) water. It does wonders for recovery !
2008-01-12 7:52 PM
in reply to: #1152478

User image

Regular
SF Bay Area
I am 42 years old. I am training for my first tri in April. I have a good base, as I have cycling
competively for many years. I have only been running on a regular basis for the last month. I
had surgery on my left three times about 15 years ago to repair a torn cartilage. From time to
time I feel a constant ache after a run. I am trying find some of the tips and tricks to aches and
pains, other than Motrin. Thank you for your repsonse.
2008-01-12 7:58 PM
in reply to: #1152489

User image

Champion
New York, NY

joeseal - 2008-01-12 8:52 PM I am 42 years old. I am training for my first tri in April. I have a good base, as I have cycling competively for many years. I have only been running on a regular basis for the last month. I had surgery on my left three times about 15 years ago to repair a torn cartilage. From time to time I feel a constant ache after a run. I am trying find some of the tips and tricks to aches and pains, other than Motrin. Thank you for your repsonse.

couple of things I would recommend that will save your kidneys from motrin and its clones:

celadrin (natural anti-inflammatory - esterified fatty acids - well studied - celadrin.com for info) - topical and oral forms - I like the topical with the menthol as the menthol gives me some immediate relief.  Ice right over it.

hyaluronic acid - low molecular weight (the only brand in this country I am aware of that has bioavailability studies is injuv - injuv.com for info

2008-01-12 8:17 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

If you are suffering from runner's knee, pick up a pair of cho-pat or similar straps. They go around your leg just below the patella and keep the patella from moving up and down. It was right around the three week point of taking up running that I began suffering pain and having to ice knees and take ibuprofen. I picked up a pair of good running shoes and started using the straps, and I can't recall having had to ice knees since. If your pain is on the outer edge of the knee, that might be ITBS. Since you've had past injuries, you may have other issues going on.

http://www.muellersportsmed.com/kneejumpersstrap.htm

http://www.muellersportsmed.com/kneechopatstrap.htm

Couple other things:

• Good shoes are important
  • Land with your foot under you, not in front of you. So, if you are trying to go faster, increase cadence and not your stride length.
  • Soft surfaces are better: grass and dirt/gravel (best), asphalt (ok), concrete (worst)
  • Some people try to land mid-foot and not on the heel, which supposedly shifts the impact to the soft tissue of your plantar fascia and calves instead of up to your knees. There are books and videos about this. I tried to switch, but I already have to much of a problem with calf tension and plantar fasciitis, so I just stick with my heel-strike technique. DVD is Evolution Running.

http://www.posetech.com/library/pp-RW-0001.html

There are lots of good running threads in the forum if you use the search feature. Here's one that might be useful.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=72885

Edited by SevenZulu 2008-01-12 8:27 PM

2008-01-12 10:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Jackson, WY
I'm an icer and have had luck with the dixie cup method and with reusable ice-packs. For the dixie cups, fill them 2/3 full with water, freeze them, then pull them out and tear away just enouch cup so that you can apply the ice while holding the cup (make sense?). This method works well for direct application of ice to skin as it allows you to move the ice around to prevent frost bite. Most of the time, I use an ice-pack with a later of clothes or a towel in between it and your skin to prevent frost bite.

I hope your knees start feeling better.
2008-01-12 11:05 PM

User image

Expert
Newton, MA
Icing definitely won't hurt so give it a try. I usually do it after my long runs, although not always. I do 10 on, 10 off, 10 on and feel great after. I tried the ice bath after Lauren talking about it so much but I guess I'm a wuss. Either that or I need to ease into the ice bath.
2008-01-13 5:00 AM
in reply to: #1152688

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

chriselam - 2008-01-13 12:05 AM Icing definitely won't hurt so give it a try. I usually do it after my long runs, although not always. I do 10 on, 10 off, 10 on and feel great after. I tried the ice bath after Lauren talking about it so much but I guess I'm a wuss. Either that or I need to ease into the ice bath.

I think icing is a great preventative measure to take. I have an hour drive to work and will throw ice pack on my knees each way during my peak running weeks. The dixie cup method is great if you have a specific injury you are nursing. The ice baths are great after long runs, there is no easing into an ice bath.

After the Musselman HIM last year the race director had a pool filled with ice water to soak in. I have never felt so refreshed after a race! 15 minutes in the ice bath and my legs were ready to go again (they had to be with my 8 YO  son at the race). I was a believer in ice baths after that.

2008-01-13 5:43 AM
in reply to: #1152488

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
LaurenSU02 - 2008-01-12 7:51 PM

Not just knees. Submerge your entire legs in ice (or at least cold) water. It does wonders for recovery !

X2! I'm a big fan of ice baths, especially after long runs. It really seems to help me keep from getting sore (and I'm 45).
2008-01-13 6:51 AM
in reply to: #1152761

Champion
South Jersey
rstocks3 - 2008-01-13 6:00 AM

chriselam - 2008-01-13 12:05 AM Icing definitely won't hurt so give it a try. I usually do it after my long runs, although not always. I do 10 on, 10 off, 10 on and feel great after. I tried the ice bath after Lauren talking about it so much but I guess I'm a wuss. Either that or I need to ease into the ice bath.

I think icing is a great preventative measure to take. I have an hour drive to work and will throw ice pack on my knees each way during my peak running weeks. The dixie cup method is great if you have a specific injury you are nursing. The ice baths are great after long runs, there is no easing into an ice bath.

After the Musselman HIM last year the race director had a pool filled with ice water to soak in. I have never felt so refreshed after a race! 15 minutes in the ice bath and my legs were ready to go again (they had to be with my 8 YO  son at the race). I was a believer in ice baths after that.

LOL! I am so glad to see I am not the only one who affixes bags of ice to their knees/legs on the drive to work .

Yes, a cold-water soak is great after a race. If the race director doesn't have ice baths (most don't...I know Mussleman and Timberman did, but not sure which others), just return to the swim start and get your legs in the water.

And, yes, the Dixie cup method is more for a specific problem area, and not just a general post-run icing. I think it's recommended not to do it over bone, although I am not sure why. When your skin starts to get a little blotchy looking, stop!

Good luck !

2008-01-13 6:56 AM
in reply to: #1152688

Champion
South Jersey

Once you make it through the first minute or two, you can't even tell you're in ice anymore .

You can also try sitting in an empty tub and turning on the cold water. It shocks you much less if you're in there while it fills up. In fact, it's really not a shock at all. If the water isn't super cold (depending on the time of year), dump in your ice once the water fills up. Sometimes in the winter, I can get away without using any ice.

Just be careful, that method doesn't work too well in the summer (at least for me it doesn't). I find the "cold" water that comes out of faucet in the summer isn't very cold. If your 98.6-degree body is already in the tub, it warms that water up very quickly. Even 36 lbs of ice won't last more than a few mins at that point. When that's the case, you have no choice, but to fill up the tub, dump in the ice, and then get your body in there. Although, when it's that warm out, it actually feels really good jumping into the ice bath (assuming you're doing it right after your run/ride).

2008-01-13 7:23 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
I've had to work through a lot of knee issues in order to run. The things I learned along the way are:
1. build the miles slowly.
2. work on flexibility. yoga and stretching are your friend.
3. a bag of frozen peas after every run. I alternate knees every 5 minutes so I don't over do it.

Goodluck!

2008-01-13 2:44 PM
in reply to: #1152784

User image

Regular
SF Bay Area
I ran today and my legs felt like bags of cement. No zip and no kick. I just put my time in as best I could. That said I tried the ice bath and and submerged below the waist. WOW! I could not hang in there too long though. I have to tell you my knees, legs and hips feel great now. I think I will do this a few times a week now. Thank you for the great tip.
2008-01-13 7:05 PM
in reply to: #1153152

Champion
South Jersey

joeseal - 2008-01-13 3:44 PM I ran today and my legs felt like bags of cement. No zip and no kick. I just put my time in as best I could. That said I tried the ice bath and and submerged below the waist. WOW! I could not hang in there too long though. I have to tell you my knees, legs and hips feel great now. I think I will do this a few times a week now. Thank you for the great tip.

Cool. Don't hesitate to try adding more stretching and massage to your routine. Great job with the run today !

2008-01-13 7:31 PM
in reply to: #1153421

User image

Expert
Newton, MA
LaurenSU02 - 2008-01-13 8:05 PM

joeseal - 2008-01-13 3:44 PM I ran today and my legs felt like bags of cement. No zip and no kick. I just put my time in as best I could. That said I tried the ice bath and and submerged below the waist. WOW! I could not hang in there too long though. I have to tell you my knees, legs and hips feel great now. I think I will do this a few times a week now. Thank you for the great tip.

Cool. Don't hesitate to try adding more stretching and massage to your routine. Great job with the run today !

After my first and only ice bath I decided to do more stretching and massage too.  

2008-01-13 7:44 PM

User image

Kansas City
How do you know when you need an icebath? You guys just do it on a regular basis? Am I just not hardcore enough yet? hmmmm....

I'm just trying to figure out if this is something I should be doing.
2008-01-13 10:28 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
I have been a steady Motrin taker, 1 a half hour before running and it really helped. Then I would come back and ice... You actually woke me up to what I may be doing long term with the pills though.

Is it all asperine or ibuprofin that have negative effects? I have known long-time runners who swear by an asperine before every run and have been doing it for years... Thanks for wake-up call.
2008-01-13 10:44 PM

Veteran
Orange County, CA
I am a big believer in ice baths. I soak in the tub for about 10 minutes after my long runs and it really helps withj recovery. During the summer it's also refreshing. For really problem areas that are sore, but not painful, I'll also slather on Bio-Freeze, especially my knees if I've had a tough trail or hilly run.

Also, and this probably sounds a bit nutty, I eat a lot of onions, garlis, shallots and leeks as they have been known to have anti-inflammatory properties. A thorough list can be found here: http://www.metabolismadvice.com/anti_inflammatory_food/

Also, legs that feel like lead can mean two things: You need to eat or drink. I've found that when my legs start to feel tired and heavy it's because I need some calories. When my body and brain get tired, and I just want to stop running, I REALLY need calories. When I am not sweating quite so much, I need water. When my mouth begins to feel dry, I REALLY need water. If I'm sweating a lot, and have been going long, and I've taken in calories and water, but I still have no zip, I need electrolytes.

Err...what was the question?

Oh, yes. Icing your knees is a good idea.
2008-01-14 6:56 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
If it were not for ice packs I would not be running at all. I started using them about 6 months back and it has made a HUGE difference on how I feel the next day (or two or three) after a long run.

Walmart sells some ice pack holders that come with a rubber strap and velcro on them. I bought 4 which allows me to put them on my knees and shins at the same time.
2008-01-14 7:05 AM

User image

Runner

I have never done the ice bath thing; never saw a need unless I have a specific injury.  If your knees are hurting, you're probably running too much or too hard.

Aches and pains are part of training.  You're just gonna have to deal with them.  The ones that you need to watch out for are the lingering pains, and the sharp, stabbing pains.  Other than that, it's your body adapting to the stress. 

2008-01-14 11:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
Ice your knees after...I have suffered through knee pain for 20 years. Controlling inflammation is the first step in preventing pain. Ice baths are great, but not really feasible after each run. Get a reusable ice pack (or two), and a couple of wide ace bandages (make sure you put a pillow case on the ice pack to prevent ice-burns). 20-25 minutes after your run is well worth it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Icing Knees after running Rss Feed