Trievents
33C / 91F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 09m 21s
Overall Rank = 283/315
Age Group = 30 - 34
Age Group Rank = 10/14
Pre-race routine:

Up before the crack of dawn out of bed at 4.30 that was tough! threw down some crumpet toast loaded up the car and headed over to pick up my dad and trekked on down to Waikiki watched the sun come up as we drove.
It was going to be a warm one. arrived with plenty of time to set up transition and mill around chatting.
I very nearly did a happy dance around transition when they announced it was a non wetsuit swim! i had a feeling it would be, the ocean is so warm at the moment.
Event warmup:

I did a tiny swim warm up as in about 100ms, I wanted to check out where the sand bars were. waited on the beach for the race briefing wondering what on earth I was doing doing the race with pretty much nooo training since the Ironman, remembered that I was doing it because I have never done the enduro, had a broken toe last year and shin splints the year before!
Swim
  • 18m 56s
  • 1000 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

First Swim 11.15 (my actual swim time was 10mins that time includes running to trnasition) - It was a beach start run into the water, I don't like running into the water, much prefer deep water starts. But the gun sounded and I sprinted into the water and dolphined out a few times before I started swimming, It was absolutely perfect swim conditions! Crystal clear water and so flat! I settled into a good pace and tried to push it faster then normal, I knew the only bit of the race I would be at normal pace would be the swim, so I swam as fast as I could, after I rounded the first buoy I started passing people.

Unfortunately I found a girl who decided to use me as a punching bag, she clocked me in the head about 4 times, then for some reason put her hand on the back of my head and pushed my head under! I'd had enough of that so summoned up a bit of pace and kicked hard to swim on past her, she then grabbed my calf and pulled me back pushiing herself forward in the process! (what the?) I again kicked hard and got up a bit of pace and sprinted for about 40 strokes to get as far away from her as possible.
headed into the beach and wished the swim was longer so I didn'th ave to get out and do the rest of the race hehe!

Second Swim 7.41 (when I got out of the water I looked at my watch and it was 6.50 so that time includes the long run to transition)
Oh my god it was so awesome to get back into the water in the middle of a race, it was a warm day so was fantastic to cool off in the water, I dove in and started swimming and flew past about 25 people all of whom had past me on the run. what was a great feeling! came out of the water and had the hard slog up the ramp and into transition
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster :) Its hard to get a good position when you have a beach start, will work on beach starts if it looks like more races will start that way.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

It was so great not having to fight with a wetsuit, came into transition threw on bike shoes and helmet grabbed bike and off I went, same for both bike transitions~

nothing
Bike
  • 1h 01m 53s
  • 30 kms
  • 29.09 km/hr
Comments:

First Ride 39.07 (20km), I was really comfy coming out of the swim and onto the bike, my plan was to keep the speed over 30k's and hour and I did that for the first ride. there were a few hills and tight corners so it was a good course to break things up. before I knew it i was back in transition again.

out on the course there was an idiot who yelled at someone behind me to keep left, he then proceeded to overtake me and cut back in way too sharp in front of me and came very very close to clipping my front wheel, I may have yelled at him, (well he scared the crap out of me I so nearly came off my bike) he realised he'd stuffed up because he yelled sorry back as he was pedalling off into the distance.

Second Ride 22.46 (10km)
running out of transition I realised my chain had fallen off my bike, I bumped it over a curve running in off the bike the first time so it must have come off then. I very calmly put the chain back on the bike, I got oil all over my hands in the process and really didn't want to wipe oil all over the red trisuit!
On the bike and off I went, feeling very happy with the second swim, hoping I didn't fall too far behind on the last bike and run. I tried to drink more this leg because I dind't drink anywhere near enough on the first ride. again it seemed to go really fast and before I knew it I was back in transition

Ride faster, drink more, do some training before a race :)
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

both transitions were pretty good, the second was a bit harder because the laces weren't all that loose, threw on the socks and shoes thugh grabbed my cap and off I went both times.

fix my lace problem, I can't do elastic laces and have had trouble with toggles but might have to go back to toggles for sprint distances.
Run
  • 48m 22s
  • 8 kms
  • 06m 03s  min/km
Comments:

First run 30.06mins 5km - I found this tough going, my legs were plodding along and I just could not make them go any faster, I really did try to push myself harder then I normally do but it wasn't working, so I just settled in and watched everyone going past me. I just cruised along quite happily though its a nice course along the beach. I upped the speed a little bit heading back as transition got closer nd closer I could put a little more speed into the legs. this was the toughest leg of the race

Second Run 18.22 3kms. It was so almost over on the last run, 3k's did seem quite long though, but I just told myself it was like one of the triple bricks I did before the ironman and off I ran, it was pretty hot by this stage so was throwing water over my head each time I ran past the water stations. I just kept watching all the people I'd swum past running straight past me it was a bit disheartening! turned around to head back for the finish line and saw a guy in front of me and just challenged myself to try and pass him, I cruised down a hill and went slowly passed him, he must have thought hang on I'm not having that because a couple of seconds later he was back by my side. We played cat and mouse for a while it was great, he'd speed up so I tried to match his speed and I'd speed up and he'd match my speed, definitely went faster doing that, he must have used a bit too much energy because with aobut 500m's to go to the finish line he dropped back. i was put down the pedal as fast as I could and tried to finish strongly which I did. n ot fast but faster then I would have done without that guy to try and beat :)

I really want to run faster, working on my running is the goal for the lead up to the half ironman. it sucks having a good swim and then wathcing people fly past you on the run!
Post race
Warm down:

After packing up my gear I headed back into the water for a cool down swim and bit of recovery, it was hot so it was lovely cooling down in the water. headed over for the presentations to watch lots of my friends getting medals! dad came second in his age group again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ironman legs! no training, spending a good part of the last 4 weeks in bed all pretty good reasons why I was slow :)

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this style of race, its tough knowing you've got to do everything twice and it was tough getting your head organised to know what oyu need in transition etc, definitely a good challenge! I'll give it a go again next year.

I wonder how long it takes to get your fitness back after Ironman?

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-01-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:56 | 1000 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/14
Overall: 118/315
Performance: Good
Suit: trisuit
Course: 750m First swim U shaped out to a buoy right hand turn swim parralel to shore right hand turn at a buoy and back into short. 250m second swim same as first just shorter distance
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 24C / 75F Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:01:53 | 30 kms | 29.09 km/hr
Age Group: 11/14
Overall: 267/315
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 10k out and back course, a few tight corners/round abouts and a few undulating little hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:48:22 | 08 kms | 06m 03s  min/km
Age Group: 14/14
Overall: 304/315
Performance: Average
Course: out and back with a few undulating hills thrown in.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-01-14 1:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: Waikiki Enduro

2008-01-14 5:51 AM
in reply to: #1154008

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: RE: Waikiki Enduro

Well done!!! It was a beautiful day wasn't it? I can't believe that girl pushed your head underwater and pulled your calf in the swim!!! WTF?

Hey I think we said hello to eachother in the queue to the toilets - I was talking to you about how the toilets were closed last year. I wasn't sure it was you and I was too embarassed to ask in case it wasn't ...

2008-01-14 5:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Oh wow that totally was me!  thats so cool.  will have to say hello properly at the next race!
2008-01-14 6:38 PM
in reply to: #1155797

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

Great report Mel.  Hey maybe that girl was drwoning, Or she thought if she hung onto you she wouldn't get left behind on the swim...

She was a nutter though.  I hate swims like that.   

2008-01-14 10:55 PM

Perth

Hi Mel,

Nice race and good rr as always..

That girl wasn't nuts, she was just doing what I think of doing when faster swimmers pull away from me...shes just got the guts to do it

You did well getting out there after your IM and just little bits of training, well done ...

2008-01-14 11:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane

Q. So how do you make a triathlon harder??

A. Make them run the course twice, what a crazy idea...............sign me up!!!!

I'm glad you enjoyed the race.

2008-01-15 5:54 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-01-15 7:23 PM

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Mel,

Interesting race!  It must have been a challenge to make sure you left your stuff neatly so that you had it for the next lap.  Great job with racing on limited training.  Congratulations and Congrats to your Dad.  Love hearing about fast old guys.

Ernie

2008-01-15 8:36 PM
in reply to: #1156435

Veteran
Perth, Oz
mlowell - 2008-01-15 11:55 AM

Hi Mel,

Nice race and good rr as always..

That girl wasn't nuts, she was just doing what I think of doing when faster swimmers pull away from me...shes just got the guts to do it

You did well getting out there after your IM and just little bits of training, well done ...

haha I like that theory,  although it really sucked while it was happening! 

2008-01-15 8:40 PM

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Just added a photo!  thanks Try-Athlete!!   he's in the background running up to transition!!
2008-01-15 8:40 PM
in reply to: #1156461

Veteran
Perth, Oz
pzdipr - 2008-01-15 12:17 PM

Q. So how do you make a triathlon harder??

A. Make them run the course twice, what a crazy idea...............sign me up!!!!

I'm glad you enjoyed the race.

hehe it is a crazy idea and tough, but lots of fun.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Waikiki Enduro Rss Feed