United States
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 18m 40s
Overall Rank = 8820/20276
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30 (Shelley got up at this time). I got up at 4:30, took a shower and ate some oatmeal. Carpooled with Ken to the parking area for the shuttle.
Event warmup:

Met up with Shelley and Dawn who were running the full. Stayed with them until their start. After they were off, turned in gear bag and headed to the corrals. Got in line for the pottie. Naturally picked the wrong line. What is worse is this older gal cut right in front of me while waiting in line. I told her I was in line and she just shrugged it off saying it did'nt really matter. Someone else asked her what corral she was in. She replied 20. I then said she should get behind all of us since her corral was much father back than the rest of us. Nope. She stayed there. This whole mess caused me to miss the start of the race. Fortunately, I was in corral 14 so I had some time for the wave start.
Run
  • 2h 18m 40s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, since the race started while I was goofing off in the pottie line. I waited where I was at for the corrals to get closer to the start line. I jumped in when corral 13 arrived. I started off nicely and found my pace. I was lucky and found the right spot. I was able to run without a bunch of zig zagging around a bunch of walkers. I stripped my sweatshirt at mile two and the gloves came off about a mile later.

I'm not sure how it happened but my watch was off when I started. I must have bumped it earlier...anyhoo, this caused me to not have an accurate time while running. Just after the 5k point the pacer for 2:15 caught up to me. I decided to run with them since I was running at about that pace as it was. I was able to stay with him until mile 8 when I stopped to get some water. The pacer really helped me get back on track as far as knowing an approximate time.

Last year, I began to break down at mile 10 and ended up walking half of the Mill Ave bridge. I was gassed and not happy about it. This year, I was tiring but determined to not walk the bridge. I took a quick walk break after the timing mat at 10 miles and was able to run the rest of the way. I did walk briefly through the water stop at 12.

The result. I ran over the bridge. Yippee! I crossed the finish line and knew that I had a PR. I did not know by how much. The clock said 2:39 and my watch 2:41. I knew that the 2:15 pacer could not have been to far ahead of me because I did not walk that much and was running at his pace.

Just after I crossed the finish, I saw my MIL shouting my name. This was nice.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

I got a chance to speak to a few friends that finished right about my time for a few minutes and headed for food, chip removal, pictures etc.

I could not find my MIL so I walked to the family reunion area to relax and wait for Shelley to finish the full. I saw Shelley at 26.1 and gave her a high five before she made the last turn.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm slowly improving my times. I truly think my asthma limits my oxygen intake and affects my performance.

Event comments:

I am really excited to improve my PR by eleven minutes. The day was perfect for me. I knew the course better which allowed me to race differently this year. Elite does an excellent job of organizing large races.

Last updated: 2008-01-03 12:00 AM
Running
02:18:40 | 13.1 miles | 10m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 8820/20276
Performance: Good
Course: Nice flat point to point course that starts at the stae capital in Phoenix and ends in Tempe at Sun Devil Stadium at ASU.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %None
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-01-14 6:06 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: PF Changs Rock 'n' Roll Marathon

2008-01-15 6:39 AM
in reply to: #1155836

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: PF Changs Rock 'n' Roll Marathon
Thats a great PR improvement. Well done Rick! You are close to your sub-10 min goal in a 1/2 mary!!!! WTG!
2008-01-15 10:35 AM

User image

Master

Great job Rick!!  Improving your time by 11 minutes is huge!  I'm hoping I do that well next month. 

Congrats on a race well done!!! 

2008-01-15 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Great job, Rick, and congratulations on your PR.  Be sure to congratulate your wife as well!
2008-01-15 1:09 PM

Pro
AZ
Nice job pushing through and making such an improvement on your time!! Great job!
2008-01-15 5:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Congratulations! Great job running the bridge. The course was flat overall but for me it seemed up hill from mile 9 on.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » PF Changs Rock 'n' Roll Marathon Rss Feed