Other Resources My Cup of Joe » We're... Debt... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-01-16 2:05 PM
in reply to: #1158846

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: We're... Debt...
I've always been good with money and done my best to stay out of debt, I was annoyed just to have car payments so I put in a tonne of overtime for a year and paid it all off. All I have now is my mortgage which should be paid off in 14 years at the latest, I'm only 28 but 14 years seems like forever!

2008-01-16 6:49 PM
in reply to: #1159916

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Awesome to those who are out of debt, or working towards it!!!  We're out of debt, with the exception of our mortgage, which we're attacking with extreme prejudice.  For those that don't know who Dave is - he is a financial guy who's goal is to help families get out of debt by implementing a few sound principles.  Check out his website - daveramsey.com for more info.  We love being without car or CC payments, or loans, etc.  It's such a great feeling!
2008-01-16 8:01 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

yup - only the credit card we pay off every month for us too.  We both travel for work and put alot of company expenses on the card, but pay it off every month.    Almost enough points of international plane tickets..... 

funny - I think I live more frugally now that we are gainfully employed than when we were not so gainfully employed....   how does that happen?

2008-01-16 8:10 PM
in reply to: #1160733

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
bootygirl - 2008-01-16 8:01 PM

yup - only the credit card we pay off every month for us too. We both travel for work and put alot of company expenses on the card, but pay it off every month. Almost enough points of international plane tickets.....

funny - I think I live more frugally now that we are gainfully employed than when we were not so gainfully employed.... how does that happen?

You're not sitting around htinking of new things to buy...
2008-01-16 11:16 PM
in reply to: #1160749

User image

Elite
Reno
D.Z. - 2008-01-16 8:10 PM
bootygirl - 2008-01-16 8:01 PM

yup - only the credit card we pay off every month for us too. We both travel for work and put alot of company expenses on the card, but pay it off every month. Almost enough points of international plane tickets.....

funny - I think I live more frugally now that we are gainfully employed than when we were not so gainfully employed.... how does that happen?

I think it is just because I have zero social life now.....    not that that is connected to being gainfully employed other than the move for the job......

it is nice to be in a situation that I can pay any bill (in full)  the day it comes in - not have to wait for a payday to decide how much to pay where....  

Edited by bootygirl 2008-01-16 11:17 PM
2008-01-17 12:46 AM
in reply to: #1160749

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
D.Z. - 2008-01-16 6:10 PM

Plus, when you're paying cash for items it's so much easier to "just say no!" It's a lot harder to part with a wad of bills than it is to slide out the plastic.

Now that the cards are gone, I can watch the college savings go up! Three kids... wahoo!!

2008-01-17 6:48 AM
in reply to: #1161182

User image

Champion
bootygirl - 2008-01-17 12:16 AM

it is nice to be in a situation that I can pay any bill (in full)  the day it comes in - not have to wait for a payday to decide how much to pay where....  

I love being in a position to pay any bill in full when it comes in, instead of seeing how the next paycheck is already allocated and whether I can pay out of it.

One thing I've noticed is how my spending adjusts to whatever is in my checking account, especially since I've started having more and more put directly into savings via direct deposit.  I'm spending less, saving more, and never really feel the pinch.

2008-01-17 9:18 AM

User image

Elite
South Florida
Congratulations!!  I can't wait until we can say the same.  We had bad luck with a business venture a few years back and have a lot to pay back now.  I read Dave's book and liked it but I'm still not getting anywhere quite yet.  Every time we get the emergency savings saved up we have an emergency - like Katie knocking out her front teeth or our cars totally dying.  I feel like we just keep working to fill up the savings and we can never get past that step!  Oh well, at least I knw what we're supposed to do now. 
2008-01-17 10:23 AM
in reply to: #1160642

User image

Parker, CO
jcdenton2000 - 2008-01-16 5:49 PM

Awesome to those who are out of debt, or working towards it!!! We're out of debt, with the exception of our mortgage, which we're attacking with extreme prejudice. For those that don't know who Dave is - he is a financial guy who's goal is to help families get out of debt by implementing a few sound principles. Check out his website - daveramsey.com for more info. We love being without car or CC payments, or loans, etc. It's such a great feeling!

WHY would you pay some guy $10 a month to help you get out of debt??? He talks about banks making money off of you? I'm sorry, I don't support hypocrites. There's plenty of free advice out there on how to eliminate debt. I can't imagine Dave has anything to say that's different than what's out there to earn his $10 per month. Pay the high interest first, get the credit cards to the lowest possible % (I'm at 0%, can't imagine I can get it less than that), create a budget and stick to it, put money in savings so you don't have to put money on a credit card and stop living outside of your means. It's more about discipline then advice.

Edited by LeeLola 2008-01-17 10:24 AM
2008-01-17 10:33 AM
in reply to: #1161722

User image

Elite
South Florida

LeeLola - 2008-01-17 11:23 AM
jcdenton2000 - 2008-01-16 5:49 PM Awesome to those who are out of debt, or working towards it!!! We're out of debt, with the exception of our mortgage, which we're attacking with extreme prejudice. For those that don't know who Dave is - he is a financial guy who's goal is to help families get out of debt by implementing a few sound principles. Check out his website - daveramsey.com for more info. We love being without car or CC payments, or loans, etc. It's such a great feeling!
WHY would you pay some guy $10 a month to help you get out of debt??? He talks about banks making money off of you? I'm sorry, I don't support hypocrites. There's plenty of free advice out there on how to eliminate debt. I can't imagine Dave has anything to say that's different than what's out there to earn his $10 per month. Pay the high interest first, get the credit cards to the lowest possible % (I'm at 0%, can't imagine I can get it less than that), create a budget and stick to it, put money in savings so you don't have to put money on a credit card and stop living outside of your means. It's more about discipline then advice.

I got his advice for free - I just got his book from the library.  t wasn't a whole lot of new information (there was a little), but it gave me a jumpstart to get going on this stuff.  I just can't stand when I hear advice like, "stop driinking Starbucks every day.  Stop getting manicures.  Sell your expensive car and get a used one."  I don't drink lattes, I don't get manicures and we have two used cars that are falling apart!

2008-01-17 10:40 AM
in reply to: #1161749

User image

Parker, CO
MomX3 - 2008-01-17 9:33 AM

jcdenton2000 - 2008-01-16 5:49 PM Awesome to those who are out of debt, or working towards it!!! We're out of debt, with the exception of our mortgage, which we're attacking with extreme prejudice. For those that don't know who Dave is - he is a financial guy who's goal is to help families get out of debt by implementing a few sound principles. Check out his website - daveramsey.com for more info. We love being without car or CC payments, or loans, etc. It's such a great feeling!

I got his advice for free - I just got his book from the library.  t wasn't a whole lot of new information (there was a little), but it gave me a jumpstart to get going on this stuff.  I just can't stand when I hear advice like, "stop driinking Starbucks every day.  Stop getting manicures.  Sell your expensive car and get a used one."  I don't drink lattes, I don't get manicures and we have two used cars that are falling apart!

Amen sister! I don't drink lattes either, I can't sell my expensive car since I'm upside down in it already (yes valuable lesson learned, but I can't change it now) and I only get manicures when I get a gift card. I already buy the discount brands at the store, I clip coupons, I got rid of all the movie channels, I don't eat out at lunch, I bring it. I'm paying for my really bad decisions in my younger uninformed days, but I have 3 kids I still have to feed and clothe and family members that still buy them TOYS at Christmas and birthdays and don't include receipts to exchange and the stores won't let you exchange for clothes without a receipt. *sigh* I know, going off on a tangent, but somedays it just SUCKS. I'm getting ready to sell everything we're not using on eBay or craigs list (which ever is appropriate). I need more time, less debt, more money, not more advice. Yes, I'm still riding a mtb for my races, because guess what, can't afford a road bike and I'm ok with that.

Edited by LeeLola 2008-01-17 10:41 AM

2008-01-17 10:50 AM
in reply to: #1161722

User image

Champion

I understand your thoughts about paying someone else to help you get out of debt.  I think the "hypocrite" comment is a bit misplaced.  He has a free radio program that is broadcast everyday and, as MomX3 pointed out, a book that can be checked out free from your local library, and, if you receive it, a nightly TV show on the Fox Business Channel.  He doesn't require you to spend anything to gain access to his viewpoints.

If you "choose" to join his website, you gain certain additional tools that are not available for free such as budget forms, archived recordings, etc.  None of which are necessary to help you get out of debt but that some people find more helpful.

2008-01-17 11:00 AM
in reply to: #1161791

User image

Parker, CO
CubeFarmGopher - 2008-01-17 9:50 AM

I understand your thoughts about paying someone else to help you get out of debt.  I think the "hypocrite" comment is a bit misplaced.  He has a free radio program that is broadcast everyday and, as MomX3 pointed out, a book that can be checked out free from your local library, and, if you receive it, a nightly TV show on the Fox Business Channel.  He doesn't require you to spend anything to gain access to his viewpoints.

If you "choose" to join his website, you gain certain additional tools that are not available for free such as budget forms, archived recordings, etc.  None of which are necessary to help you get out of debt but that some people find more helpful.

Thank you all for helping me see the light. I remove my hypocrite comment, I did not realize the piece about the free radio show and I understand the costs of running a website and the $10 seems more reasonable than some. I'll go to the library, check out the book and see if I can learn any new tips. I guess I'm bitter because the only commercials we get here are the &*(^ John Cummuta (I fell for the free trial - which luckily didn't cost me any money, but come on!) so I'm a bit skeptical. I'm so sick of hearing the "it doesn't matter how much you make or how much debt you have" oh yes it matters, trust me!
2008-01-17 11:09 AM
in reply to: #1161817

User image

Champion
LeeLola - 2008-01-17 12:00 PM
CubeFarmGopher - 2008-01-17 9:50 AM

Thank you all for helping me see the light. I remove my hypocrite comment, I did not realize the piece about the free radio show and I understand the costs of running a website and the $10 seems more reasonable than some. I'll go to the library, check out the book and see if I can learn any new tips. I guess I'm bitter because the only commercials we get here are the &*(^ John Cummuta (I fell for the free trial - which luckily didn't cost me any money, but come on!) so I'm a bit skeptical. I'm so sick of hearing the "it doesn't matter how much you make or how much debt you have" oh yes it matters, trust me!

The thing I liked most about Dave's advice was that he went through a bankruptcy at a young age and, everything he talks about, he has gone through.  Lends a bit of extra credibility in my eyes.

2008-01-17 11:15 AM
in reply to: #1161817

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
LeeLola - 2008-01-17 11:00 AM

I'm so sick of hearing the "it doesn't matter how much you make or how much debt you have" oh yes it matters, trust me!

Yeah - it's very simple. If you are spending more than you make, you have an issue. Sometimes there aren't simple solutions to simple problems.

But if homey gives you one piece of advice that makes a difference, might it be worth it?

Edited by D.Z. 2008-01-17 11:16 AM
2008-01-17 11:58 AM
in reply to: #1161854

User image

Parker, CO
D.Z. - 2008-01-17 10:15 AM

I'm so sick of hearing the "it doesn't matter how much you make or how much debt you have" oh yes it matters, trust me!

Yeah - it's very simple. If you are spending more than you make, you have an issue. Sometimes there aren't simple solutions to simple problems.

But if homey gives you one piece of advice that makes a difference, might it be worth it?

Yes, I'm always up for a free piece of advice that works. I'll grab the book and let you know how it goes!

I also give credability to someone who's been there done that, good to know he's been through a bankruptcy. (LOL I just re-read that and that sounds funny without context.)

2008-01-17 1:46 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Just wanna put a plug in here for one of the books on Dave's "recommended reading" list - The Millionaire Next Door by Tom Stanley. Very good book, just finished it a couple weeks ago. Affirms a lot of what Dave teaches, mainly about living below your means, but it also has a ton of information that is very revealing about millionaires in general.
2008-01-17 5:05 PM
in reply to: #1161979

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
LeeLola - 2008-01-17 9:58 AM

D.Z. - 2008-01-17 10:15 AM

Yes, I'm always up for a free piece of advice that works. I'll grab the book and let you know how it goes!

I also give credability to someone who's been there done that, good to know he's been through a bankruptcy. (LOL I just re-read that and that sounds funny without context.)

Certainly everything that he has to say isn't going to apply to everyone, but if you can grab 1 or 2 pieces of info that are relevant and helpful to your situation, then you're that much farther ahead. And yes, he does speak from experience and has a "been there done that" attitude that does lend credibility to his message.
2008-01-17 8:16 PM

Expert
Fort Bragg
We're working on it too. We're living like no one else so one day we can live like no one else!
2008-01-17 8:43 PM
in reply to: #1162243

User image

Veteran
Bripod - 2008-01-17 2:46 PM

Just wanna put a plug in here for one of the books on Dave's "recommended reading" list - The Millionaire Next Door by Tom Stanley. Very good book, just finished it a couple weeks ago. Affirms a lot of what Dave teaches, mainly about living below your means, but it also has a ton of information that is very revealing about millionaires in general.

X2. Definitely read this book. Then really think about your spending and saving habits. I think my wife and I are pretty grounded financially, but every little bit of inspiration helps.
2008-01-18 5:46 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN
Congrats!  My wife and I have been chewing at ours for a couple of years now.  The extra money from my current deployment will just about retire all of our debt by September.  Awesome work, Triguy67!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » We're... Debt... Rss Feed  

of 2