Disney World of Sports
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 51m 30s
Overall Rank = 7991/12288
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 568/918
Pre-race routine:

Even though I was so tired, I couldn't fall asleep the night before the race until about 1 am. And then had to get up at 3:00 so we could be at Disney by 4... so just grabbed a banana, poptart, and granola bar, and headed to my sister's house to pick her and our brothers up.
Event warmup:

At the Disney races, they make you arrive two hours early, and then you just kind of hang around until 6:00 am, when the first corral gets to start. So we just sat down and talked for a couple hours mostly... stood in the line for portapotties (I have never seen so many potties!!!), and walked maybe a mile or so from the parking lot to the start corrals.
Run
  • 2h 51m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was less of a race and more of a bonding experience for my siblings and me. My sister, both brothers, and I all ran together, and while my sister runs regularly, my brothers do not. But all their soccer playing must have made a difference, because they did really well!

I think we kept a pretty steady pace for most of the run, between 11-12 minute miles. But we had to stop for a potty break for one brother and then they both visitied the medical tents along the way for chafing issues. We ran pretty much straight for the first 7 or 8 miles... then we started walking for about a minute at each mile marker. I felt really good until around mile 8, and then my feet started hurting. I tried to stretch them out whenever we stopped, but they hurt for pretty much the rest of the race. But that's to be expected - I really am not trained for a half marathon right now. Everything else felt great.

Overall it wasn't much of a race. We stopped to take pictures with the characters along the way, and joked around for a lot of the run. So we do not have very good times, but I think the run served its purpose well. We all had a great time, and both my brothers said how much fun they had, especially towards the end when they started getting the adrenaline rushes. I told them that's how every race feels! So hopefully, they might start running regularly now and we can do more of these together in the future. It was a great feeling to cross the finish line all together, and I am so proud of them all for doing so well!
What would you do differently?:

nothing... well, maybe train more...? if anyone wants to tell my feet to start cooperating and stop getting injured, so I can run more, feel free. But they don't listen to me most of the time. ;)
Post race
Warm down:

not much of a warm down. We got our awesome Donald Duck medals, ate some snacks, then stretched and headed out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

We weren't even looking at this half marathon as a race. It was just a fun thing to do as a family, and we had a great time. It was more important to us to all stick together, than for one of us to go as fast as we could. I'm sure that with more training for all of us, we could have been faster, but who cares.

Event comments:

This race is very well organized & supported. The only downside is that you have to get there by 4:00 am, and wait for 2 hours before the race even starts, but I understand why they do it. I like that there is a relatively low limit on the number of participants, too. It's a huge race, but it wasn't too completely crowded. They also had the largest water stops I have ever seen.

Overall, the race is a lot of fun, and I can see why people are so eager to do the Goofy's Challenge. I think I might want to sign up for it some day!

Last updated: 2007-03-20 12:00 AM
Running
02:51:30 | 13.1 miles | 13m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/918
Overall: 0/12288
Performance: Good
Course: The half marathon course starts outside Epcot, goes up through Magic Kingdom, and back to Epcot for the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-01-17 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: Walt Disney World Half Marathon

2008-01-17 11:09 AM
in reply to: #1161672

User image

Subject: RE: Walt Disney World Half Marathon

I'm glad you had a great time doing this 1/2M with your family.  Family is so important and the fact that most of you stuck together says alot.  It's so easy to start getting competitive with siblings.  Hopefully your feet issues will clear up and you can run pain free soon.  For all the stopping and goofing around your times are not bad    Great Job Linda. 

2008-01-17 1:00 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Sounds like you had a great time! Hope you had a great vacation... it will be a heck of a lot colder when you get home!
2008-01-17 7:09 PM

User image

Australia
I think it's great that you put bonding with your siblings ahead of a great time. Having fun is what it's all about!
2008-01-18 3:18 PM

User image

Regular
Westchester, IL
Congrats
Sounds like you may have planted a running seed.

Edited by Grizdog 2008-01-18 3:19 PM
2008-01-18 7:38 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
It's really great that you got to do the race with your family. Quality bonding time and health activity all rolled into one. Awesome!

Post a picture of the Donald medal for us.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Walt Disney World Half Marathon Rss Feed