General Discussion Triathlon Talk » pardon my rant Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-17 2:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New York, NY
Subject: pardon my rant
especially since I already posted something about this on the Health Issues forum, but here goes:

Insomnia. Who has it? If you have it, do you stop training? I've had progressively worse insomnia for about a month now. I started out falling asleep fine, then waking up after 4 hrs, unable to go back to bed...progressed to not being able to get to sleep at all, now I'm down to 1-2 hrs per night. I take ambien when I can't stand it any more, but that's not a great solution. Whatever. The question is, how much sleep do you think is enough to keep training (i'm talking base here, not really anything intense...)?

any thoughts?

2008-01-17 2:25 PM
in reply to: #1162322

User image

Subject: RE: pardon my rant
sounds like you overtrained, insomnia/disturbances in sleep is one of the main symptoms over overtraining
2008-01-17 2:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New York, NY
Yeah, i thought about overtraining, but I can't for the life of me believe that I'm overtrainign when I'm only doing around an hour a day of training (6 days per wk). Especially since I've done that much for ages now. At any rate, this lack of sleep is forcing me to cut back, so I'll see if that makes a difference.
2008-01-17 2:34 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
My thoughts on sleep:

http://www.exercisephysiologymd.com/sleep/how-much-sleep-do-you-nee...

I replied in the other forum too...guess you wanted more opinions.
2008-01-17 2:49 PM
in reply to: #1162358

User image

Extreme Veteran
New York, NY
Ah, that link is much appreciated!

AdventureBear - 2008-01-17 3:34 PM

I replied in the other forum too...guess you wanted more opinions.

Actually I wanted less pharmacological and more anecdotal evidence of how people deal with this particular demon. The pharma questions were directed to the injury/health forum, the emotionally tinged wail for additional tales of suffering was directed here

2008-01-17 3:00 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
I feel your pain. I rarely sleep through the night, either. I also notice it gets worse when I train a lot, but just like you it's there regardless.

These things have helped somewhat:

Avoiding exercise just prior to bedtime.

Not reading or watching TV IN MY BED prior to bedtime. Do that somewhere else.

Avoiding alcohol. That always disrupts my sleep.

Mostly, these practices just make it easier for me to drift off to sleep. I usually still wake up in the middle of the night and have a lot of trouble getting back to sleep.

Sorry I can't help more. If I get it figured out, I'll let you know.

As far as training, I try not to let it impact me too much. Sometimes, when I KNOW I won't be getting back to sleep I'll even jump on my trainer in the middle of the night. Still, there are days when I'm just too dogged to do anything. That's also why I try to keep my training to mornings-- at least it's my first priority each day.

2008-01-17 3:02 PM
in reply to: #1162402

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
I am probably on the verge of insomnia.  But I go through phases where I hardly sleep any, then, after a few months, that's all I want to do is sleep. All most like being manic / depressive.
2008-01-17 3:11 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I have gone through sleep disorder evaluation, chronic insomnia.  Threr are many causes and it's extremely frustrating to bi in the process.  Problems falling asleep stem from a different set of issues than those that cause you to awaken often or early.  Both require thorough evaluation by your PCP or possibly sleep studies. 

Quick and dirty causes can be:depression, hormonal (thyroid,  pregnancy...), drug/alcohol use, sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome...probably many more I don't recall. 

Treatment options vary.  Sleep apnea is readily treated with use of a CPAP machine to keep airway pressure open while you sleep (that sucker is a noisy thing and can be hard to get used to).  Thyroid conditions can be treated with appropriate medication depending on whether it's over or underactive.  My problem started during pregnancy but didn't resolve afer child #2 the way it did after child #1.  Many docs prescribe antidepressants in place of sleeping pills because a side effect of most antidepressants is drowsiness and depending on the cause (even unspecified sleep disorder) the neuro-hormonal  feedback is improved with the use of these medications (and thus the sleep improves)

2008-01-17 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
How has your nutrition been lately - eating anything different or any changes in your eating habits? A very common cause of sleep disturbance, and waking not feeling rested, is related to your adrenal glands not being supported and as a result there is a decrease in hormonal production. As well - insomnia and 'night cramps' are a common sign of a magnesium/calcium deficiency.

Just food for thought, so to speak. Without knowing you and your habits it would be difficult to pinpoint specific dietary links, but it's something to think about.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » pardon my rant Rss Feed