2008 Colorado Masters Running / Racewalking Association
13F / -11C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 21s
Overall Rank = 12/22
Age Group = none
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, made a smoothie, read a story to my little girl, went back to bed to get warm and stretch. Left a little later than I intended and headed across town. It just looked cold, looking out the window but as I pulled away, it was sunny and gave me a much better feeling about the day. Registered and then headed back to the van to change and stretch a little.
Event warmup:

Light run out to the start and then back to the van and port o potty. Then a light run back out to the start line
Run
  • 1h 10m 21s
  • 7.46 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Based on how I ran last time with this organization and how I have been feeling lately, I set up about 2/3's of the way back. I still didn't know which race I was going to run, but was targeting the 12k. It was cool that we could elect how far we wanted to go at the end of each lap. At the start I was moving comfortably but was weaving through traffic, still wasn't overly concerned, I figured I could just keep moving up. Then we hit the single track. Based on the fresh snow overnight and the crusty stuff from other snowfalls, it really was single track. People were lined up just following along, it was really a no passing zone. The pace was a little slower than I really wanted to go, but it kept my HR down for the first 1.5k. Fortunately for me, I was right behind a fit female so I had a much better view than the person that was stuck behind me. But I have to admit, based on the terrain I spent most of the time starring at her feet. Once it opened up a bit, I moved out into the crusty stuff and passed her and then followed her SO as we went by some of the other folks. I went by him a little before the 2k mark. I hit the 2k mark at about 12:40, a little slower than I had envisioned. Went by a couple of more people out to the 3k mark and then had someone pass me. We went back into some singletrack and pretty much stayed together to the end of the first lap. The last section had some double track and we went by another individual. As I headed out for the second lap, he turned off and went to the finish. So now the next person is a few hundred yards ahead of me. I figured on this lap, it would be interesting. I would be going through the single track at my own pace this time. This course was a challenge to ankle and knee stability and strength. I slid my way across the frozen stream crossing, figured I didn't want to plant to solidly on it. Shortly after the 6k point, I passed the guy ahead of me. Now I couldn't really see anyone so it was just me running in the cold, snow, sunshine. I figured I would stay steady and see if I could use the last lap for an LT test. As I finished the second lap, I grabbed a cup of water, reset my watch and headed out for the test. The second lap was a minute faster than the first lap. There was someone about a minute or so ahead of me, but I was more focusing on just making good foot plants and keep moving forward. I didn't want to try and do a test and end up with a high HR and slow down too much. I made the 2k mark of the last lap at 11:43 so I was at least I was staying pretty close to the pace I had bee the last 8k. I hit the 3k mark at 16:44 so I was 16 seconds quicker on this lap (as well has HR was 5-7 beats higher). I was slowly closing the gap on the person ahead of me, but I was more focused on my running and foot placements. Then, the last corner, he slipped on the ice and fell. He got back up quickly but was slowing even more after that. I closed in, asked if he was ok and went on by in the last 1/4 mile. I finished the last lap quicker in 22:44 and avg HR was 2 beats over the LT I have been using. I was glad to be done. I was glad I came out, but I still have a lot of work to do to get to where I was 3 months ago. Oh well, 9 months til the Denver Marathon so I should have it ramped up sufficiently.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe seed myself a little higher at the start to better position for the long single track. Not gain 10-15 lbs from IMFL to the start of the new year. Leave the neck gator in the van and maybe have one less or light layer on the upper body. Yak Tracks might have been good today too although one person was having difficulties with them due to the terrain.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretch and stand around in the cold.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My current level of fitness, footing, seeding at the start

Last updated: 2007-12-19 12:00 AM
Running
01:10:21 | 07.46 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 12/22
Performance: Below average
First Lap 24:20, Second Lap 23:19, last lap 22:44
Course: 3 lap course Start on snow covered bike path then onto snow covered horse trails with 1 frozen stream crossing. Single track through wood up to a double track on the edge of a park. Running on the snow covered grass next to the sidewalk, across the part than back onto some double track then back into some woods and finally double track to the start/finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-01-19 6:06 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: Aurora Sports Park XC 4/8/12K

2008-01-20 6:26 PM
in reply to: #1165813

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Subject: RE: Aurora Sports Park XC 4/8/12K
wow - sounds like a rough race!  We had snow and ice on the trails, but the 1st half of our race was on fairly dry roads.  Good job today!!
2008-01-20 10:44 PM
in reply to: #1165813

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Subject: RE: Aurora Sports Park XC 4/8/12K

All right!  I can't imagine running in the snow and cold like that -- good for you!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Aurora Sports Park XC 4/8/12K Rss Feed