Habitat for Humanity, Wildwood Outfitters, and Georgia Runner magazine
26F / -3C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 26m 58s
Overall Rank = 78/
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, packed, ate a grapefruit and loaded the car. We drove about 1.5 hrs north into Helen for the race. Others were trekking up the other side of the lake and meeting us there. It was snowing!
Event warmup:

Running to the Fest Hall to pick up my number. Running to the car to get changed. Running to the start line.
Run
  • 1h 26m 58s
  • 10.48 miles
  • 08m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

While it was unfortunate that the course was altered due to the weather, the run itself was better attended than I expected. There must have been around 220+ people out there total. The snow was beautiful and also a rarity here in GA. It certainly made the race special. Everyone was very excited and friendly. Didn't see any egos or attitude out there. The volunteers were troopers. Especially the ones at the top. I enjoyed running the race with one of my running partners: ATLRunner. We chatted occassionally and ran it pretty well. (At least for me!)
What would you do differently?:

Drink alcohol and eat pizza.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for everyone in our little group to finish. We attended the awards ceremony where Aimster took 2nd in her AG!!!! Then we all dried off, changed and celebrated at the nearest pub. (Exactly 100 yds from our cars).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really. I am getting faster with my marathon training and this was really a race/training/stepdown w/o so I never had any expectations.

Event comments:

This is a real local race. But, I must say that it is run well. While low-tech it still had a race clock, pre and post race refreshments, well manned course and prizes. It's a fun winter run and Helen is great for post race partying.

Last updated: 2008-01-18 12:00 AM
Running
01:26:58 | 10.48 miles | 08m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 78/
Performance: Good
Well, it was slower on the way up and faster on the way down?
Course: Lollipop up to the beginning of Hogpen then uphill about 1.5 miles to the turnaround. (The top of Hogpen was closed because of snow and ice.) Then return along the same route back into Helen.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-01-20 2:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Hogpen Hill Climb

2008-01-22 8:31 AM
in reply to: #1166495

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Hogpen Hill Climb
Awesome race Joe! You are such a strong runner and it showed Saturday. This was a great way to start off the 2008 racing season.
2008-01-24 3:48 PM
in reply to: #1166495

User image

Veteran
Atlanta
Subject: RE: Hogpen Hill Climb
Good job! I was up there too. Had ice hanging off my tabogan after I finished! The race is hard, but a lot of fun.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hogpen Hill Climb Rss Feed