General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Motivation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-24 11:32 AM

User image

Subject: Motivation
Hello All --

I am new here, but have been doing triathlons for 2 years now -- and this forum is GREAT! I wish I had found it before! I had almost gotten to the point where I believed that I was the only female person over 200 pounds doing triathlons! It is an absolute thrill to find everyone.

My last race of the season last year was Nov. 11, and then there was the holidays, and then houseguests... and I didn't get on my bike for 6 weeks. Now I am having trouble getting back on and out there. I have also not gone to the pool for 6 whole weeks. I am feeling less than ready for this season, but still having motivation problems.

There is an aquabike I want to do later in the spring, and I have a history with this race: it is the only race I was swept off the course and didn't finish. Major trauma. So I want to try again and get through it, but I am feeling a little trepidation about it. Maybe paralyzing fear would be a better way of putting it...

I need help getting out there! Any suggestions?

Leslie

2008-01-24 11:50 AM
in reply to: #1174054

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: RE: Motivation
Get out and register for the aquabike race - set your mind to conquering it this year.  Once you make the commitment to it, and you have a specific goal, you'll feel much more like getting out and training.  Good luck!!
2008-01-24 12:05 PM
in reply to: #1174101

User image

Hey -- I see you are in Arizona! The race was Fountain to Mountain. Have you done that one?

You are right -- I haven't registered for a race yet... I keep meaning to, honestly! I have to find some way to get going again...

Ok, I just printed the forms for the Tucson Tri in March.

L
2008-01-24 1:09 PM

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
I agree with doing the entry as motivation. Then work backwards from the race date to today and set up your training schedule. You can do it! Muscle memory is a fabulous thing ... it definitely does not take as long to get back to it as it did to get there the first time.
2008-01-24 2:28 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

I haven't done that particular race, but I am assuming that it is fairly hilly and an open water swim.  If true, another thing you may want to consider is doing one of the winter/early spring local sprints (Goodyear YMCA, Generations Tri in Surprise) to get yourself back into the swing of things and get your confidence back. 

Of course, open water swim practice is another essential if Fountain to Mountain is in open water.  There is a big group on the East Side of Phoenix that does weekly open water swims at Saguaro Lake - they are a great group and very welcoming.  If you can work one of their sessions into your schedule, it would be very worthwhile.  Details can be found on the Arizona forum.  

I will also highly recommend logging your workouts on BT.  It allows you to see where you are and how far you've come, which is great for motivation.  Also, others from the site, including your new Athena and Clydesdale friends , can check in with you and send notes to inspire you on your progress. 

By the way, welcome to BT, and best of luck!!!

2008-01-24 4:09 PM
in reply to: #1174498

User image

Thanks very much! I am still working on figuring out how to log stuff. But I will be doing it. The nutrition log isn't very intuitive...

L

2008-01-26 8:35 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Can you sign up as a team for the race? That might be a fun way to start the season, and then you are accountable to someone else.  Either way, get signed up and log your workouts on here!!  Send inspires, post in the forums......stay involved.

Leslie (my name, too)

2008-01-27 8:05 AM

User image

Leesburg,

I agree with what the others said.  Find you an A race, then work backwards.  Pick a BT plan, put the race day in your training log, and it'll give you something to do every day.  I signed up for all my A races in November/December so there was no excuse for not working out during the holidays, since my BT log actually e-mails me every evening to tell me what I have to do in the morning.  I LOVE THIS BT SITE!!  I also hired a coach ... a cool lady I met on this site last year who finished CdA last year ... to motivate and/or advise and/or be accountable to.  It's really just a matter of wanting it that much.  The terror of arriving at the starting line for IMAZ in Nov. is keeping me on my toes.  Best of luck to you!

2008-01-27 1:36 PM

User image

Champion
MA

There is an aquabike I want to do later in the spring, and I have a history with this race: it is the only race I was swept off the course and didn't finish. Major trauma. So I want to try again and get through it, but I am feeling a little trepidation about it. Maybe paralyzing fear would be a better way of putting it..."

My first Oly I was last out of the water, last off the bike and finished last in the run about 3-4 minutes after the 2nd to last finished with an ambulance following me playing leap frog the whole time. Race is great, but the memories are tough and mixed. 

Next year I did it and improved an hour and didn't finish last. I did it again in '07 and improved another 22 minutes but didn't enjoy it much and a strange panic issue in the water.

I figured the water was similar temps '05 and '07 ie cold and in '07 brought back bad memories from '05. I worked a whole year trying to get that I was last monkey off my back it worked.

This year I'm not doing it as I race for fun, and there are to many mixed up emotions at that race.

I just shared what happened to me so you can enjoy your '08 races and not have the same experience I did. 

2008-02-11 3:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
Western, Mass
Bronze member
Kathy,
I, also, have had some not so good expirences racing, My first bike race i was last, the next two were DNF's and the 4th was last(25 min behind the 2nd to last). I now promote that last race, instead of riding races.

I am going to do my first tri, a sprint in Ludlow, MA, with a coworker, because i am tired of feeling like blob. My only goal is to finish, and that will be a victory for me.

Kevin
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Motivation Rss Feed