GRTC
20F / -7C
Sunny
Total Time = 56m 50s
Overall Rank = 150/223
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 15/18
Pre-race routine:

Not the best night's sleep for the second night in a row due to coughing childern. But that's life. Typical breakfast of a bowl of cereal in the morning. I did try to hydrate some more than normal.

Left the house a few minutes after 9 and got to the race site by 9:15 (only 5ish minutes away). Still had to go further than expected to find a parking spot, but whatever. I jogged over to the lodge to get signed in. Got my number and chip and hooked them up.

Event warmup:

Since it was so cold, I went back to sit in my car. About 9:45, I went back out and jogged to the lodge. Did a touch more jogging, but nothing major. I bumbed into Ken, Dudley and Mike, and we walked over to the start line together.

I moved towards the back of the pack behind the start line. I knew that I would be one of the slower runners. But I would be one of the happier runners all the same!
Run
  • 56m 50s
  • 6.45 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first 10K run. Its actually a touch longer, but thats fine. My plan was to focus on cadence, keep under control, use gravity to do the work on the downhills, and most importantly, have fun!

Mile 1 went well. It took about 10 seconds to reach the start line. I settled into a nice cadence and nice pace. I passed the 1st mile marker at exactly 9:00 on my watch. My HR was in the high 130s to low 140s after getting going.

Mile 2 was mostly uphill and my pace slowed a touch. My HR went up some too. I found it going into the low 150s going up the hills. I passed the 2nd mile market at 18:30, meaning I did the second, uphill mile in 9:30.

Mile 3 included a lengthy downhill, and I tried to let gravity take me down. I was moving at close to a full sprint. My HR went to the low 150s again. Ahhh, but then the bottom came and the course turned uphill quickly. ANd I was breathing hard coming off my sprint. So I slowed my pace to settle down. My HR moderated to the high 140s and I just kept plugging away going up the hill. Back down we go again and up went my pace. I lost track of the mile split time here.

During the 4th mile was the steepest hill on the course. I initially thought I would keep on jogging, just shortening my stride. But I soon realized that it was faster to walk. So I did. And my HR and breathing kept going up. My HR peaked at 162. I don't think I got it that high even once last year. ANd my breathing was very very heavy.

At that point, I was fearful that my maintaining a HR in the high 140s for most of the race to this point was going to catch up to me. I had previously estimated my LT at about 135 to 140. So I thought that I was running anaerobicly for most of the race.

Once I got up the steep part of the hill, I continued to walk a bit to settle down. Once I got more under control, I started running again. Focus on cadence. Keep the turnover high.

I passed the 5th mile marker at exactly 45:00. I knew that I'd beat my hour goal at that point. I didn't know the course, but I thought the toughest parts were over. I was right. The remainder was largely downhill. ANd I tried to let gravity do the work. I was going probably 90% of max pace down a lot of the hills. When I passed mile 6, I tried to keep my pace strong. I was definitely working hard, but closed strong.

When I crossed the finish line, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I not only broke 1 hour, but also went below 57 minutes. And I had a smile on my face the whole time! It was GREAT!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing! I ran as good of a race as I could!
Post race
Warm down:

I felt a touch naseous after the race, but that quickly passed. I walked it off and found Mike, Jackie and Ken. Shortly thereafter, Rena crossed the finish line. Next we got to cheer on Dudley. He just barely missed his goal time.

I jogged back to the lodge and got some gatorade. Hung out and chatted with folks.

Event comments:

The race was well organized. The mile markers were a big help. Volunteers were at every intersection. Yellowjacket did the timing chips. Everything went smoothly. A well run race.

Last updated: 2008-01-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:56:50 | 06.45 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 0/223
Performance: Good
Course: This is a very hilly course. The first mile is fairly flat, with 1 smaller hill. Much of the second mile is uphill. The third mile has a nice downhill, followed by a fairly steep uphill. Mile 4 is the toughest. There is a stretch that is long and VERY steep. After peaking that hill, its mostly downhill to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-01-26 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: Freezeroo #4 Hearnish 10K

2008-01-26 1:17 PM
in reply to: #1177268

User image

Elmira, NY
Subject: RE: Freezeroo #4 Hearnish 10K
Fan Frickin tastic!!!  Looks like all of that hard work and tinkering has really been paying off for you Rob.  You must be so pumped right now.  You might want to tie a string to your ankle and to a chair just to keep yourself from floating away.  WaHoooo!!!!
2008-01-26 1:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Nice run Rob!  Glad you had a great time!  Sounds like it was tough!  You must feel great! 
2008-01-26 2:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
Awesome job!  Was it really your first 10K?Smile  In the cold no less.  Nicely done, now relax this weekend and get some sleep tonight.
2008-01-26 9:27 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Nice job Rob.  Always like you detailed RR they are helpful.  Congrates on smashing your goals. Good to see you.
2008-01-27 6:47 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Great job on your first 10K Rob!  You should do more of these! Congrats on beating your goal!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Freezeroo #4 Hearnish 10K Rss Feed