General Discussion Race Reports! » Sun Run for Pima Community College Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sun Run for Pima Community College - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tucson, Arizona
United States
Southern Arizona Roadrunners
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 58m 53s
Overall Rank = 186/238
Age Group = F30-39
Age Group Rank = 26/33
Pre-race routine:

This was the first 10K I've ever done, and the first Southern Arizona Roadrunners event that I've attended. The coach that developed the training plan that I'm following for Ironman said I should mix some 10K races in to help with running speed, which I lack severely. So the Sun Run 10K fit perfectly in the schedule.

Somehow I convinced my husband Zac to come along and do the run as well. I used the "You just ran a half marathon 2 weeks ago...you'll be fine" argument to help. And he agreed. Plus he said the running has helped his mountian bike fitness, so this has helped me keep a running partner now that PF Chang's was over.

We got to Reid Park early to pick up our T-shirts and race numbers. We got there way earlier than we should have, probably because we're used to getting to tris early to set up all the stuff. Running races are great because you have very little to prepare. No bike to bring along, no wetsuit, etc. So instead we stayed in my Jeep and hung out and talked to friends.
Run
  • 58m 53s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Finally it was time for the race to start. It was cloudy, but no rain. I opted for running shorts and a sleeveless jersey, as I always get warm running. We put ourselves towards the back of the group and in with other Tri Girls. The gun went off and we started running with the herd. I tried to stay with Zac, but my week of training quickly caught up with me. I had done a 2 hr run on Wednesday and a hilly bike ride on Saturday, so once again I was already on tired legs. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to do a running race on fresh legs. I had to watch the pace because my right kneecap had been hurting ever since PF Chang's. I knew it was from the increased running volume, and the correct answer is to take a few weeks off and let it rest. Will I do that? Of course not! I can rest after April. I checked my Garmin and we were running an 8:50 pace, so I told Zac I had to slow down and he could go ahead. I knew he wanted to run his own race and see how fast he could do a 10K, so it was no big deal if we didn't run together. He took off and I faded back and settled into a more comfortable pace.

Due to the rain it was crazy humid out. I ran along, trying not to back down on my pace too much and still push myself. I had a secret time goal of averaging under a 10 min/mile pace. The group had thinned out, so I ran along as we ran around Reid park. As we turned towards 22nd street my spidey sense started tingling and I knew Shari was behind me. There was no way I was going to turn around to check. So my new goal was see how far I could make it before Shari passed me. We ran along the golf course and I heard a package of Shot blocks being opened. Yep, that's Shari for sure. This part of the course the wind was at our backs so my glasses started fogging up and the sweat started pouring. I was glad to finally reach Country Club and get some air.

We passed mile 4 and boy did I want to slow down and walk. I told myself the fastest way to be done with this was to keep running. Besides, Shari was still back there. I got to mile 5 and people started passing me for the sprint of the last mile. There was no way I was sprinting. This was the speed I could go and that was it. If Shari came sprinting by I was going to let her go as there was no way I could go any faster. The last mile took FOREVER. We ran through residential streets and I wondered where the heck the 6 mile sign was. Finally it came into view as we made the turn towards the finish. I saw the race clock said 58 min, so I was going to be able to come in under my goal. Some gal came sprinting by and I thought it might be Shari...nope, long pants and green shirt...not Shari. I got to the finish, stopped my watch, and tore my race tag off and grabbed some water. THEN I turned around and Shari was right there. I knew it! We started laughing and talking how we had been pushing each other the entire time. I know Shari just started up her training again, so it's just a matter of time she'll be blowing by me again. But it was great motivation for the race.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing!
Post race
Warm down:

We walked around with Zac for 10 min to cool down, then made a beeline for the pancake line. Pancakes after a race are the best thing ever! Normally I'll eat 1 or 2, but I slammed 3 down in just a few minutes. I felt much better after that. We headed home and the rain started up. So the weather held out and turned out to be perfect for the race.

I finished in 58:53, at a pace of 9:28 min/mile. This was way better than I had hoped. I can remember not too long ago 10:30 min/miles were a sprint for me, and I could only hold that pace for a short distance. I had been an 11-12 min/mile runner for a LONG time. So the running is finally coming along. It just took a few years. :-) So for those of you out there that are just starting to run and feel slow don't worry...it does start to get better. It just takes a lot of running, which can be tough if you're like me and running isn't exactly your favorite of the 3 sports.

Zac finished in 57:06, and averaged 9:11 for the race. He was pretty happy with that since he hasn't been running for very long. Hopefully it will motivate him to keep running with me for a bit longer this year.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ironman training. :)

Event comments:

Great race by the Southern Arizona Roadrunners!

Last updated: 2008-01-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:58:53 | 06.21 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 0/238
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-01-28 11:40 AM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: Sun Run for Pima Community College

2008-01-28 1:41 PM
in reply to: #1179735

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Sun Run for Pima Community College

Nice pace especially after long week of IM training

Congrats on keeping your friend behind you, pushing hard and going sub 10 m/m!! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sun Run for Pima Community College Rss Feed