United States
3M Half Marathon & Relay
45F / 7C
Total Time = 2h 00m 48s
Overall Rank = 2049/4451
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Went to bed about 9:00 Saturday night. Woke up at 4:45 Sunday morning to get ready. Ate my usually pre-race breakfast of oatmeal and then stepped outside to check the weather. It was colder than expected, so I put on my long sleeve Under Armour top under my singlet. Had shorts on and was fine with the temps for the legs. Left the house about 5:45 and got stuck in all the race traffic trying to park. Since I wasn't exactly sure where the start was I just stayed in line to park in the parking garage. Got parked about 6:30.
Event warmup:

Since I got parked so late, I didn't really have time for a warm-up. I dropped my extra clothes at the bag check so I would have warm clothes at the finish and then hit the port-a-potty. The Star Spangled Banner was sung while I was still in line. Got to the start a couple of minutes before the gun went off.
Run
  • 2h 00m 48s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't sure at the start if I was going to try for time on this one or just use it as a training run since I just did the Disney marathon two weeks ago. When the race started, I just took off at a comfortable pace and figured I'd see what happened. When I checked my split time at mile one and saw 9:25, I figured I could try for time and see how I could do. I had one mile at 8:24, but the rest ranged from 8:54 - 9:31 pretty consistently except for between miles 10 and 11. I got a severed cramp in my side and could barely breathe so I had to walk for a bit. At that point I heard the 2 hour pace group come up behind me and knew I needed to get going again if I was going to break 2 hours. I started running again and managed to stay with them until the end, but didn't break 2 hours like I had hoped. Even so, this was almost a 5 minute PR for me at this distance, so I was happy.
What would you do differently?:

Not cramp. This has happened once before during the 2005 Motive half about the same distance into the race. I'm not sure if it's the gel or not since I don't have problems with gels in marathons. I need to figure this out.
Post race
Warm down:

I went and got my bag from the bag check, put on warm clothes, grabbed some food from the HEB tent and went back to the finish to see some of my friends cross the finish line. Stretched while I was watching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cramp between miles 10 and 11.

Event comments:

This was the first time for me to do this race. It was an ok race and will probably become my annual half marathon since the Motive doesn't exist any more.

Last updated: 2008-01-23 12:00 AM
Running
02:00:48 | 13.1 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/4451
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]