St Paul Winter Carnival
20F / -7C
Overcast
Total Time = 25m 40s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had two slices of PB toast and a nice big cup of coffee. Met up with Bryan (mndiver), Sal (Sparco), Jim (Birkierunner), and Roger (rabakman) to shoot the breeze and talk smart about all the training and racing we'll be doing in 2008. Registered for the race - love the race day registration option!
Event warmup:

Bryan and I did the portapottie line wait and then did a 5 or 10 minute warmup before hopping into place to start.
Run
  • 25m 40s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Bryan and I took it out at a comfortably fast pace. We were sure to take it just a tad easy on the steep downhill start since it had snowed just a bit that morning and could have been slippery. Neither of us wanted to eat it doing a silly 5K in January! Once on to Shepard Rd., we settled in to a nice quick pace and talked only a little bit since we were both pushing pretty hard. We hit mile 1 right about 8 minutes in and were very happy since we thought we could hold that pace for the duration. About mile 3 my back started to tighten up and got pretty uncomfortable. Bryan pulled away from me just a bit as we went back up the big hill at the top of which I thought I might barf. I managed to kick just enough to come in about 10 feet behind Bryan. Thanks to Bryan for running this with me and helping push the pace. My AHR was right about my LT which means I was cranking just about as hard as I could. Finally! Maybe I can do that during the run of one of my tris this summer...
What would you do differently?:

Warm up more thoroughly. The relatively lackluster warmup plus a hard effort plus 20F temps probably didn't set me up for the best race. Still, its my 5K PR in a race.
Post race
Warm down:

Milled about and chatted with Bryan and Roger. Got our schwag bag which was kind of disappointing considering the cost of the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Relative lack of training lately. No speed work. Fatigue from having a 3 week old in the house.

Event comments:

I'll rate this one as only "Average". It seems that you should get a lot more than an untimed 5K and a coffee mug for $25. No race results and no formal timing is bothersome to me. I'd love to know how I did against the field. I am, however, glad to NOT have another crappy t-shirt.

Last updated: 2008-01-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:40 | 03.11 miles | 08m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
AHR = 193. Yes, Roger. That's accurate. Right at my LT!
Course: Out and back. Starts with a pretty steep downhill down Jackson St. toward the Mississippi for the first few blocks and then West on Shepard Rd. where it is almost dead flat until you finish going back up the steep hill on Jackson.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-01-28 4:09 PM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Subject: Securian Frozen 5K

2008-01-28 5:43 PM
in reply to: #1180415

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Securian Frozen 5K

Nice job out there Tom

Sounds like you had a great time and kicked off your season with a strong showing. (And what sounded like some good friends)

2008-01-28 5:50 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Nice job on the PR Tom!  Good to catch up with you before the race. 
2008-01-28 7:51 PM

User image

Elite
Nice job out there Tom.  It was a pleasure running with you and look forward to doing it again.  I'm thinking we could nail some 8 minute miles at The Human Race 8K if we get a little more warm up in and can have a few less layers on.
2008-01-29 7:21 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Tom, good to see you again.  Congrats on a PR!  Glad you could run with Bryan...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Securian Frozen 5K Rss Feed