General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New baby, new wannabe triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-01 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Subject: New baby, new wannabe triathlete
Hello!

I'm officially introducing myself. My name is Anne, and I just started training for my first tri- an all women's tri in July. My husband has done several duathlons and just did his first tri last summer (finally conquered the swim!). I've been a proud cheerleader for him and now he is cheering me on. He introduced me to BT and helped me come up with a training plan.

I have a five year old and a seven month old, so fitting in training is a challenge but definitely worth it. I'm really enjoying this process and am laughing at how little I know. But I am learning fast! My goal is to complete my triathlon and hopefully not crash my bike- either while training or while racing.

I'm taking it slow and watching my nutrition closely because I am a nursing mom. I'm wondering if there are any other beginners out there who have done this with the added challenge of having small children?

2008-02-01 9:52 AM
in reply to: #1188507

User image

Extreme Veteran
Longview
Subject: RE: New baby, new wannabe triathlete

Hi Anne!

When I started training for my first triathlon last year, my youngest was five months old...He is now 9 months old...I also have a 5yr old girl and 7 year old boy.

I laughed at your post, because one of my goals at my first tri ALSO was NOT to crash!  Luckily - I only crashed in training rides... 

You have the right ideas...take it slow..especially since you are nursing.  Any "shock" to your system affects milk supply...I'm sure you already know all this.

You will learn after you start training what works and what does not work according to your schedule.  I work full time as well as part time...and before triathlons working out was a huge part of my life....I did have to sacrifice a few personal things to be sure I was not affecting my family...so I just gave up some "computer" time - LOL - and I honestly NEVER watch TV anymore...unless it's part of family time....and sometimes training is done at 4:30 am.....or at 9 pm.....lol....

I will say I have a super supportive spouse - and that makes all the difference!

I definitely applaud you for stepping out with this challenge!  Good Luck!

2008-02-01 10:14 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Welcome to BT Anne!  Where are you from?
2008-02-01 10:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I'm in Toledo, OH- currently enjoying another snow day with my kindergartener.

The supportive spouse is nice. He was my cheerleader two years ago when I had to get my nutrition in order; then once we had the surprise baby I told him I wanted to do a traithlon, and he stayed quiet and didn't bug me until I finally said, Okay, I'm ready for a training program.

I already know I'll be crashing on training rides. I was that kid who walked her bike everywhere and still have scars on my knees from my many bike crashes. Please tell me the crashes weren't that bad for you! Or that you got better and don't crash anymore (or as much)!

So far so good on not interrupting the milk supply. Watching my nutrition has really helped. And I also noticed that as soon as I started training- and logging everything onto BT- I got extra careful about avoiding empty calories, wanting every bite to count for me and the biggest baby ever!

It's good to meet another mom/triathlete with a baby. I need to take a pic of me training in the basement on the bike, surrounded by the 7month old and her toys, and the 5 year old and everything she drags down to play with, watching cartoons instead of grown-up tv. Since my husband is training, too, we both find time daily to train and coordinate our schedules as much as possible. So far, so good!
2008-02-01 9:13 PM

User image

Brevard
Once the child/ren get a little bit older (sleeping throught the night), traininer in the evenings/early mornings will become second nature. I have an almost 4 and an almost 2 year old, and pretty much all my training is using a bike trainer and cheap weight bench in the house, using the community pool at 6:30-7:30 am, and early morning runs (just completed my first 15K last week). I have found that training for my first tri does not rally impact the kids or the wife. So once your little one is a tad older, it should be pretty easy to get into a routine.

And staying away from the empty cals is tough. I do not know how my wife does it, being home all day. If I was home I would eat and eat, then feel bad. (I am 2000% better at not eating the garbage and doing much better in the nutrition section).

Have fun!

Chris
2008-02-01 9:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Longview

So funny you talk about pics with the trainer...I put this picture in my blog yesterday, as it was how I did the last two miles of my trainer ride on Wednesday night....

Me and Elijah!

2008-02-01 9:40 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Welcome to BT!  I have 2 boys, 2 and 5 years...I did four sprint tris last season....and have up to 12 races scheduled this year, including some Olys and century bike rides, etc.  It's hard to fit training in, but it is possible.  I am still nursing the youngest one.....not all that often, but enough to be called a nursing mom.  Feel free to read my blogs, you will find all sorts of complaining about lack of training time in there...but you will see I actually find a way to do it most of the time!! 

BT is great support!  Enjoy!!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New baby, new wannabe triathlete Rss Feed