General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I just kidding myself? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-04 6:50 AM

New user

Bristol
Subject: Am I just kidding myself?
I have a serious question, am I setting myself up for disappointment? I am 29, in (relativly) good shape and so keen to make this a success. The thing is, I set myself targets that are so hard to reach, I am doing my first sprint in 16 weeks and am actually kidding myself that I can hit 1h 10m (ish) despite no experience, more than that though I have also set myself a target of September to bust the 1h mark. My training has been gentle so far but this week is the big kick off, I have practised the distance as best I can and can cover the ride in 33 mins at the moment followed by the run in 22 mins. My swim time is coming down steadily (11 mins)although I feel that will drop significantly once my body remembers it loves to swim! The thing is, I know that transistions, esp as a beginner, will eat my time and that there is no substitute for the husltle and bustle of the race but I do feel it is possible to start my triathlon career running (so to speak)!
Has anyone else felt this way, succeeded, or have a way of letting me down easily? Also, if I can manage my goals should I move up to longer tris early?

2008-02-04 6:55 AM
in reply to: #1192812

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Am I just kidding myself?

You don't give us a lot of information about your background, nor do you specify the distances of each leg of the triathlon, so it's hard for us to say if your goal is realistic or not.

I will say that it would be a lot harder to hit those goals if you don't aim for them.

2008-02-04 6:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
I would try not to put too much pressure on yourself for your first race. Use it as a confidence-builder and a learning process whereby you'll pick up some of the transition skills and experience that you'll be able to use at future races. Have fun and just give it what you got. I think it's fine to set a time goal, but don't beat yourself up if you don't hit it the first time out. There's definitely a learning curve and you will likely see an improvement at your second race soley based on the experience you gained from your first one.
2008-02-04 7:03 AM

New user

Bristol
Sorry, just realised about the distance thing!
Swim is 400m
Ride is 20km
Run is 5km

Background, I am in the Royal Navy so I have a basic grounding in CV and strength work, at the moment I am office based so I can get out and train during the day and also at night. I tend to swim train at weekends as it is easier to get in then.
Training wise I am riding twice a week, running twice a week, swimming twice a week and doing a bike run brick once a week plus strength training 4 nights a week.
2008-02-04 7:03 AM

User image

Veteran
There is a long way until your first race, and it sounds you are serious with training and make it happen.

There is one VERY IMPORTANT thing you are not considering, course/race conditions, those can be nasty for those who are just racing for PB´s, in same fitness you can do 1h10 OR 1h30 in the same distance, but different conditions, hills, heat, wind, long transitions, etc, it all add up in your finish time, not to mentions sometimes the course is a bit long.

Considering you know the course, its accurate and nothing extremely hard, I might say from your splits that it can be done, it won´t be easy, but totally achieveble, when I first read the 10 minute drop from race 1 to race 2, I thought NO WAY! But then again, as it is your first triathlon, you will likely make so many small mistakes, that if you take notes and correct them in race 2, you can cut near 10´ only there, no extra fitness required.

GOod luck,

Vinnie

Edited by vinnieds 2008-02-04 7:12 AM
2008-02-04 7:15 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Hey, if YOUR goal for a sprint 16-weeks from now is 1:10, the question is what are you doing NOW to achieve that goal? 

We're often capable of far more than we're ready to admit.  Follow a training plan that leads you towards that BHAG (Big-Hairy-A**-Goal).  

Now will you actually hit that goal?  Hard to say, because there are so many things outside your control, like wind and rain the day of the race. 

2008-02-04 7:24 AM

User image

Champion
There's nothing at all wrong with having goals.  I wouldn't get too hung up on numbers just yet though.  Enjoy your first race.  Then you'll have some firm numbers to base future expectations on.
2008-02-04 7:25 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Any reason you even have a time goal for your first race?  Your goal ought to be to finish... save goal times for later races.  I remember when I finished my first race... my initial thought was, "wow, that was a lot harder than I expected."  If I had set a goal time, I wouldn't have met it, and would have been disappointed that I missed my goal, instead of being proud that I finished my first tri.
2008-02-04 7:31 AM
in reply to: #1192851

User image

Champion
MA

DerekL - 2008-02-04 8:24 AM There's nothing at all wrong with having goals. I wouldn't get too hung up on numbers just yet though. Enjoy your first race. Then you'll have some firm numbers to base future expectations on.

2x

Reality is to finish, have fun and learn in your first tri.

I'm someone who is often stuck on numbers and it takes the fun out of it. Trust me don't get to hung up on setting time goals, but work on training and doing the best you can.

Edited by KathyG 2008-02-04 7:31 AM
2008-02-04 8:18 AM

There is a lot of good advice on this thread, but I will offer a little different perspective. Last year was my first race season. I started training in December for my first race in May. Like your planned race, my first race was a sprint. If you are training to "race" the race and not just to finish, and if you train consistently and intelligently, you will pretty much know what you are capable of in "normal" weather conditions. If you train enough, you will also train through some tougher conditions and have a pretty good idea where you stand there as well. (At least within a certain range). My coach has told me several times that your "hardest" training day should not be race day. At least for the shorter distance stuff.

I had a time goal in every single race I have ever done. Again, if you are adequately trained and prepared for a race, I don't think anything is wrong with that.

With respect to your question, are the times posted for each event "stand alone" times or have you done some race simulations with that time? If it is the latter, and if you are already consistently covering the distance of your target race in 1:06 (11 swim; 33 bike; 22 run), AND if your training terrain is consistent with the race terrain, you should easily clear 1:10 in your race 16 weeks out. You should be faster in 16 weeks.

Of course, we have to assume for purposes of the question that you will remain healthy, not get injured, and that there's not a monsoon or 30 mph headwind on race day. Your transitions should be under 1:30, with a "goal" of under 1:00. Practice them. Then practice them again.

If those times are your stand alone times, they don't necessarily tell us as much. Do some bike/run bricks and see what those times look like. In any event, I like having time goals. Given my personality, I find it virtually impossible to NOT have time goals, even if I'm not publicly saying what they are.
2008-02-04 8:22 AM

User image

Regular
I say go for it. It looks possible to me if you train hard and the conditions are good. If you don't make it, no big deal. Figure out what you need to fix and try again.

2008-02-04 8:37 AM

3X On using the first triathlon as a learning experience and not adding he pressure of setting time goals, that will come later.

Remember this is a TRIATHLON. It is not the same as doing the three sports separately. Doing them back to back stresses the body and the only way to know how your body handles that stress is do some. From experience you learn how to pace yourself through the entire race so you finish strong.
2008-02-04 8:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
johnboy69 - 2008-02-04 6:50 AM

I am doing my first sprint in 16 weeks and am actually kidding myself that I can hit 1h 10m (ish) despite no experience, more than that though I have also set myself a target of September to bust the 1h mark. My training has been gentle so far but this week is the big kick off, I have practised the distance as best I can and can cover the ride in 33 mins at the moment followed by the run in 22 mins. My swim time is coming down steadily (11 mins)although I feel that will drop significantly once my body remembers it loves to swim!

If you look at the numbers you've already given, you're pretty much at your 1 hr 10 min. goal already. With 11 min. swim, 33 min. bike and 22 min. run, that's 1 hr, 6 min. Keep in mind also that on race day, your adrenaline will be pumping more. You're likely to have faster splits than when you train simply by virtue of the fact that you're in a race, not a training session.

In any event, IMHO, you need to do a minimum of two things (regardless of whether your times in each individual portion of the race get faster or not):

1. Find out what the layout of the transition area will be; and
2. Practice transitions

Number one may be hard to do now. In most races I've done, I never knew the layout of the transition area until a few weeks before the race. However, you can ALWAYS practice transitions. Some things that you can do to save time in transition:

1. Don't wear a wetsuit for the swim. Getting it off is a time eater. Since your swim isn't terribly long, you're not likely to see significant speed gains on the swim with a wetsuit.

2. Wear a tight tri top from the very beginning of the race. Lots of people struggle with getting their tri top or bike jersey on over wet skin. This is another time waster. Wear a sleeveless triathlon jersey, and make sure it's tight against the skin (but not constrictive). If it's too loose, you'll drag extra water on the swim and slow yourself down more. A properly fitting tri jersey will not drag too much water to slow you down on such a short swim.

3. Learn how to start with your bike shoes on the bike. This is tricky, and MOST people who try it don't do it correctly, resulting in little time savings (or often, time lost). This is something you NEED to practice.

4. Unless you have an assigned space, get to the transition area VERY early and get a spot in the bike racks as close to the bike out as possible. Running with the bike is slower than running without it, and you'll be slightly disoriented after the swim. Better to have to run with the bike longer when you're in T-2 rather than in T-1.

5. Regardless of which rack you're on, try to get a spot on the end of the rack. It eats seconds to try to maneuver the bike between racks while others are there with their bikes in your way.

6. Don't wear socks on the bike or run. Putting on socks over wet feet in transition wastes a lot of time, especially for people who don't put them on right. If you have to wear socks, roll them up and then unroll them onto your feet. It will be faster than trying to yank them on. Practice this, too. It's not always as easy as it sounds.

7. Lay out your transition area in the order in which you will dress for each leg. For instance, I lay my helmet on my aerobars (unless it's really windy), with my sunglasses inside the helmet. That way, when I get to my bike, I put on the sunglasses, strap on the helmet, and I'm out of there (shoes on the bike, no socks). For the run, I have my race belt lying on the shoes, with my visor or hat on top. That way, when I get back to the rack with my bike, I can drop the helmet, put on the hat, slip into my shoes, and grab the race belt to put on while I run.

8. That reminds me . . . invest the $8 in a race belt. That way, you don't have to have your race number pinned to your jersey. If you rely on pins, you won't wear your tri top on the swim and you'll be slower because of it.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

It seems to me that if you continue to train regularly, your individual times will certainly improve. If you take time one day a week to practice transitions, you'll be much faster in your race.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Sharkboy 2008-02-04 8:52 AM
2008-02-04 9:26 AM

New user

Bristol
Thanks for the feedback so far guys, it is really useful. I think I will definately take a day a week to practice transitions to cut the time wastage and will try to put the numbers out of my head (I do like something solid to aim at!).
I am a little worried about running without socks though, I'm not sure if that is for me, I like to be comfortable in my runners. Does it really save that much time?
2008-02-04 10:06 AM
in reply to: #1193107

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

johnboy69 - 2008-02-04 9:26 AM I am a little worried about running without socks though, I'm not sure if that is for me, I like to be comfortable in my runners. Does it really save that much time?

If you've trained to run without socks, then yes, it'll save a little time.  If not, you'll give up the 30 seconds (and then some) in the last half of the run, when the blisters start. 

2008-02-04 10:10 AM
in reply to: #1192816

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
the bear - 2008-02-04 6:55 AM

You don't give us a lot of information about your background, nor do you specify the distances of each leg of the triathlon, so it's hard for us to say if your goal is realistic or not.

I will say that it would be a lot harder to hit those goals if you don't aim for them.

Exactly.  And what if you fail?  Is that it then or will you reassess, re-evaluate and take another stab at it.  These are more important questions.

2008-02-04 10:28 AM
in reply to: #1193212

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
McFuzz - 2008-02-04 9:06 AM

johnboy69 - 2008-02-04 9:26 AM I am a little worried about running without socks though, I'm not sure if that is for me, I like to be comfortable in my runners. Does it really save that much time?

If you've trained to run without socks, then yes, it'll save a little time. If not, you'll give up the 30 seconds (and then some) in the last half of the run, when the blisters start.

For a first race, and all the rest so far, I would wear socks. Unless you expect to be in serious contention for a podium spot, comfort is worth a few seconds. I like the technical running socks that are actually made with two thin layers to help prevent rubbing and blisters. As was mentioned, put them on ahead of time, roll them down, and then you can roll them back on in T1. If you go without socks, be sure to train enough without them too.
2008-02-04 12:31 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Take a look at the results from previous years.  It looks like 1:10 is possible.  But that still puts you in the top 20%.  For your first tri that might be overly ambitious, but I don't know your competitive background.  Good luck...
2008-02-04 12:46 PM

User image

Regular
Edmonton
Nothing wrong with having goals which might be tough to make, as long as you can recover from them in case you don't make it.

My goal for an Olympic Distance Tri is still to break 2:30:00. My attempts to date have been as follows:

1st attempt - first ever Oly 3:10:00ish, a real wake up call as to how tough Tri's can be, I still laugh at this.

2nd attempt - one year later, tougher course, 2 flats on the bike 2:50:00ish. I took away from this race that even though I had to change two flats, I still beat my time from the previous year by 20 minutes. A huge success in my book.

So set your goal to what you'd like, if you don't make it no big deal. Just use it a training fuel for the next one.
2008-02-04 8:38 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

I don't think there's anything at all wrong with having time goals, even if it is your first tri.

Just be sure to set yourself up some short term goals for training along the way to help mark your progress.  Based on how you are progressing, you can alter your goals up or down for this particular race. 

I always have goals in the back of my mind.  If my target is quite some time off, I try to have goals that will be a reach.  As my training moves along, I learn whether I'm on target or need to alter my expectations.  Sometimes I alter them upward and sometimes down.  When I alter them downward, I keep my more ambitious goal in mind for a future race.

2008-02-04 9:45 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Goals are important, but crossing the finish line of your first race with a smile is probably more important.

2008-02-04 9:59 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Go at it your fastest... see where you come out... then adjust for your next race. You will learn a lot from your first tri. Til then.. train hard.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I just kidding myself? Rss Feed