New York Road Runners
32F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 4299/4929
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 655/804
Pre-race routine:

had a horrible night's sleep at Fiona's and Nelson's - their apartment is like an oven with the heat in the winter so much that they usually have their windows open all year round.
woke up at 6:30 completely congested and tried to fall back to sleep for what seemed like an hour, but the next thing i knew it was 7:30 and Fi was waking me up.
ate toast and drank tea and gatorade - got dressed and we were out the door by 8
Event warmup:

zero, except for walking all around the baggage area looking for jonah. jonah? where are you? and let me tell you for next time, i need a better description than "younger than 40 looking guy all in black" because i think that there's actually a club of you guys and they were all in the baggage area between 8:30 and 8:45. should have gone with my original plan to carry a card with your name on it like limo drivers bring to the airport - because the looks i got when i was looking at guys i thought MIGHT be jonah made me think the guys thought i was a little creepy.
Run
  • 43m 44s
  • 4 miles
  • 10m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

even though last year i broke 10 min miles at this very race - i wasn't trying for any PR at this event. i was running under entirely different conditions (like 14 degrees different) and i had jennbunn1e w/me, remember her? and i haven't been training like i was last year at this time. plus my whole "wake up with a cold on race day" pattern held true, so at least i'm consistent with that
positives to draw from this race:
*i took no walk breaks - even on the hills. which proves to me that training on the mountain trails is making me stronger on hills (maybe not faster, but stronger)
*my overall pace was sub 11 min/miles, which is good for my first race of the year
*i wasn't ready to drop dead at the end - thought i could go at least another 2 miles - which is important to note since i'm trying to triple (and then some) this distance at the 1/2 marathon in april
*i had no pain in any part of my body at any time during the race - and for someone who struggles with knee pain all the time, this is huge. i'm attributing it again to the trail running, which is kinder (and at the same time tougher) on my knees than running hills in my 'hood on pavement
What would you do differently?:

figure out a better meeting place to hook up with a very cool BTer who just had a birthday and i really wanted to give a birthday greeting in person to.
other than that, nada, zip, zilch
Post race
Warm down:

walked to remove timing chip.
met up with nelson and fi and we walked to the utopia diner on broadway (?) for a bite to eat.
nelson made sure to let us know that the first runner to cross the finish line was wearing a giants jersey - and took it as a good omen.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

i'm not in my twenties - but maybe i will be in my next race :)

Event comments:

great way to kick off super bowl sunday (if you're into that sort of thing) and hey, who doesn't want to work out before a pig out session which every super bowl party is?

Last updated: 2008-02-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:43:44 | 04 miles | 10m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/804
Overall: 0/4929
Performance: Good
mile 1 - 10:37 mile 2 - 10:41 mile 3 - 11:21 mile 4 - 11:04
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-02-04 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Subject: NYRR Gridiron Classic

2008-02-04 1:14 PM
in reply to: #1193088

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Subject: RE: NYRR Gridiron Classic
You did a great job considering that you had a cold and the lack of training. You will do fine at the half!!!
2008-02-04 8:03 PM

User image

Veteran
stop with the colds on race day will ya?  excellent job though, sub 11's sound good to me, YOU ROCK!
2008-02-04 8:12 PM

User image

Expert
Carmel
Great Race
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » NYRR Gridiron Classic Rss Feed